Police advice

Old Dec 20th 2009, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

minxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really nice
Default Police advice

Hi my family and I, are looking to land in June 10, husband is hoping to join the OPP, he has 17 yrs Police service with the MOD. Could anyone please advise as to what the recruitment process is and what is looked for in this.. Are the OPP the best force to apply too, posting, career and oportunities etc.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Police advice

I have absolutly no knowledge what so ever about OPP but a quick google search revealed their website.

Have a look, details the recruitment process - http://www.opp.ca/ecms/index.php?id=87

And I dont believe there is a singular best police force in the world, everything has its positives and negatives.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just ask if you have other employment back up plans for when you arrive? It looks like you cannot actually apply until you have PR and I'm not sure how long the application process takes ... just something else to think about ...

Good luck with it all - you may find some OPP members will respond on here in due course, but I don't think we have that many on this forum.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

ExMetCop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by minxymel
Hi my family and I, are looking to land in June 10, husband is hoping to join the OPP, he has 17 yrs Police service with the MOD. Could anyone please advise as to what the recruitment process is and what is looked for in this.. Are the OPP the best force to apply too, posting, career and oportunities etc.
He will not be able to apply until he has permanent resident status but if like me you should be getting it on the day of landing..... if all your ducks are in a row. OPP did have a hiring freeze not too long ago. However that may of been lifted. If he joins the OPP you must be prepared for the high likelyhood of being sent anywhere in ONTARIO. So if you had a specific area you wanted to settle down in I would highly advise against joining them. My friend joined andhe was sent to RED LAKE. have a look at that on the map...... Im pretty sure he can see frikin penguins from his house with binoculars.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ExMetCop
He will not be able to apply until he has permanent resident status but if like me you should be getting it on the day of landing..... if all your ducks are in a row. OPP did have a hiring freeze not too long ago. However that may of been lifted. If he joins the OPP you must be prepared for the high likelyhood of being sent anywhere in ONTARIO. So if you had a specific area you wanted to settle down in I would highly advise against joining them. My friend joined andhe was sent to RED LAKE. have a look at that on the map...... Im pretty sure he can see frikin penguins from his house with binoculars.
Excellent point, ExMetCop. There must be lots of people in the UK who think policing rural Canada is a combination of Northern Exposure and Ray Mears. Rural Canada is NOT Devon and Cornwall writ large. There are serious social problems on native reserves throughout rural Canada and drug abuse, alcoholism and the consequent violence would rival anything in any inner city in the UK. All this, combined with the fact that backup is often hours away has meant many RCMP/OPP etc etc members are now looking to join metropolitain forces in the bigger cities.

Just something to think about.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

minxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really nice

Hi have read the recruitment process of the OPP, has anyone been through this? Do the OPP post all new recruits to rural locations. How is the best way to proceed, as mentioned before, I will become landed in June 2010, plan to take the COR in Sudbury in March 2010 (I anticipate to have permanent resident visa Jan 2010).

Many thanks Husband of Minxymel
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Most new recruits get sent out to middle of no where as the nice positions are reserved for officers whohave been with them for a while. Basically like we said earlier its pot luck.why are you so set on the opp?
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hi I understood that there are more career opportunities with in the OPP, in comparison to a regional city type police force.

I have no preference to our locality, and as a bigger force hopefully their recruitment vacancy will be greater.

As asked before has anyone been through the OPP process, or if not for the OPP any other force, you advice is appreciated.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

I went through and joined Halton region 3 years ago. All services in Ontario have a standardised recruiting system. You have to pass all portions of ATS first. You can look online as to what that is. If youtell ATS you're coming from over seas they will make an exception and let you do all of the testing in the same day. Then you apply. They do a first get to know you interview. Then 2nd interview if they like you which is a behavioual interview where you give scenarios you have dealt with to meet the required competency. This is where most fail due to being ill prepared and unable to articulate their decision making process. Then you fill out a psyc questionaire which goes to the shrink who you then pay a visit to. Then they tell you where you will be posted and that its always subject to change andyou sign the contract. Then you pay 7500 dollars to train at the Ontario waste of space police school for 3 months. Now this is where opp differ. After college you go to their own training college at HQ in orillia for 8 or 9 weeks for further training. Then you will be shipped out to your posting and realise how much you wished you joined a regional service ; )
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:56 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by minxymel
Hi I understood that there are more career opportunities with in the OPP, in comparison to a regional city type police force.

I have no preference to our locality, and as a bigger force hopefully their recruitment vacancy will be greater.

As asked before has anyone been through the OPP process, or if not for the OPP any other force, you advice is appreciated.
I'm RCMP but you have to be a citizen to join. I would recommend going with either EPS or CPS.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 1:21 am
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

I went through and was successful with the OPP 4 years ago, however i wasn't able to proceed with the move.
The process, as mentioned, is no tougher that for any other Police in Ontario. In the final interview they ask you for 3 choices of posting. Some remoter postings are for a fixed period and they will pay you a bonus for taking it up.(there's a list on their site). Then when your posting is complete they say they will guarantee you the posting of your choice.
I just asked for anywhere that was within 2 hours drive of the airport, to make it easy for relatives to visit. They were OK with that.
But, when we do eventually make it I have now decided to go for a regional force, probably Halton. Really don't want to be posted to the back of beyond dealing with issues I have little experience of with no back up.
Good luck.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Come over to Halton! The waters warm!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Hi many thanks for the advice. In the recruitment process you mentioned most fail the 2nd interview, as unprepared for the core competencies, where could I get a list of competencies the recruiters would be looking for, also the psyc test can I prepare for this, would this be the MMPI.

I would like to be well prepared for the the selection process, I am nearly 40, a newly arrived immigrant, would like to set a great impression, that would secure me a position within my chosen force.

Many thanks guys for your time and advice.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

I'm not sure where you would find the so called "core competencies" I can only suggest you search online with searches such as the police services name and recruitment core competencies. Also I may have poorly worded my response. Its not most ppl fail that stage, just that most ppl who fail do so in that interview. Most services here, especially mine think that Brit cops are about as good as they get. And you will see why when you begin working with Canadian, it will take some getting used to. As for the psyc, there is nothing you can do to prepare really. First you answer a 500 questionaire and then at your appointment the shrink goes through it and asks questions on points he may be concerned about. Being a cop already you will have no problem at all with that stage. If you're looking to be prepared then I suggest you head over to a book store called chapters and buy the ATS testing book. It is pretty much exactly what's on the test. I recently helped out a Brit couple, both of which are county officers up north of England. They got into interviews prior to sitting the ATS exams, passed the interviews and then flunked the exam. Couldn't believe it.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 3:43 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ExMetCop

Come over to Halton! The waters warm!
Note to self.'Back shorts and sun cream'!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.