Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

hiddybiddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

Originally Posted by jenks007
Guys, re the Visas : Immigration stated there are 3 options from them :
1. Work to residence Visa
2. Permanent residency
3. Rejection
They said the decision was theirs and would be on a case by case basis but they wouldn't say what would or could sway it one way or the other.
If you look on the Immigration web site it says if you go with a permanent job offer then you can apply for residency but in person they said what I quoted so it still isn't clear . Also you have to pay their exorbitant fees .
The areas open to us are as follows :

Keri Keri
Auckland
Hamilton
Wellington
Wairoa
Gisborne
Tauranga
Greymouth
Queenstown
Oamaru

ONCE IN POST YOU HAVE TO DO 2 YEARS THERE BEFORE MOVING ON, SO CHOOSE WISELY
NO MORE QUESTIONS OR I WILL BE APPLYING FOR A JOB ON THE RECRUITING TEAM .
You'll deserve a job in the recruiting team.

Few things. Did they do the BMI thing. Are you assuming that you are in from their info given to you on the day Assuming immigration let you in. Are we to pay for our immigration stuff to get in to NZ Police. Is perminant residency an option from the begining or do we have to wait till we get there and do the 2 years? What was the feedback to you re not doing 10.15 for the run,if at all

Steve
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

jenks007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve (Hiddybiddy)
Yes they did the BMI thing.
I never assume anything as it makes an (you know the rest).
We pay for everything mate !!!!!
Immigration have 3 choices :
1. Residency
2. Work permit
3. Decline
They make the choice what we get on a one to one basis and we can't sway them (I think but you might want to confirm that with them).
They seemed pretty chuffed that we all put in enough effort to make us look like we were going to collapse or part with our breakfast on the run.
At this moment I don't know if I am in or out (so to speak) I should find out by the second week in Dec.
My first posting request will be onto the recruiting team at this rate.
Now please leave me to pack my things, paint my house and get a medical... all before I find out my result in December.
Pete.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

dot405 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jenks007
Steve (Hiddybiddy)
Yes they did the BMI thing.
I never assume anything as it makes an (you know the rest).
We pay for everything mate !!!!!
Immigration have 3 choices :
1. Residency
2. Work permit
3. Decline
They make the choice what we get on a one to one basis and we can't sway them (I think but you might want to confirm that with them).
They seemed pretty chuffed that we all put in enough effort to make us look like we were going to collapse or part with our breakfast on the run.
At this moment I don't know if I am in or out (so to speak) I should find out by the second week in Dec.
My first posting request will be onto the recruiting team at this rate.
Now please leave me to pack my things, paint my house and get a medical... all before I find out my result in December.
Pete.
Hi guys, just back from the smoke after a very positive day in London. Did my run and physical and interview etc. stayed in the regent hotel (where nobody sleeps) and had a very good couple of days. We now feel a lot more positive about the whole thing. Bye for now good luck everyone. Please leave pete alone.......
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Dear All.
My running shoes are now gathering dust and I've started my decorating so I can chat on here again.
Those who have done the recruitment thing, can you share anything new with the rest of us ?
And if your Doctor is anything like mine sit down when you get the bill for a Medical (£90:00) and he didn't even throw in any free happy tablets.
Pete.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

hector212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jenks
Doctors fee "OUCH" thats sounds steep. Had my day yesterday, and passed the physical, so dead chuffed with that. Only one other chap passed everything, but i got the impression that it was a case of showing the effort, and a never say die attitude they were looking for, and in-fact one of the NZ cop did say that there was some leeway on the physical. So if things didn't go well on the day for anyone do not lose hope.
I got a definitive answer on the type of visa we would get and that is a RESIDENCY visa. the girl stated they made mistakes in 2002 and in order to be fair it would be an application for residency we apply for. So that was good news.
i thought the day went well, and was glad i took my other half with me. I felt the NZ cops were honest in their assessments of all issues we discussed whether good or bad.
Jenks, i don't know your background in the job, but if you are a detective or traffic man, and wish to go into those fields, then there will be no need to serve the two years on general duties. For me (CID) i would do 5/6 weeks of the basic 11 week training college course and then be moved sideways to a detective training course where they will assess my UK experience, train me up on what they think i needed to learn with regard to NZ practices, and straight out as a temp detective, serve a 12 month period on appraisal and then get appointed.
they also said that the new government which has been elected have promised 1000 extra bobbies so it maybe whilst here they will look at taking 50 more, This is in the ratification stage but may well happen.
i could go on but dont want to bore folks.
Just have to wait till December now.
hector212
Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Hagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hector 212.

It may be residency but it is not definite leave to stay. That will have to be organised at a later stage and they were very cagey about that. Also, I don't know how we're going to get our visa's in time for this course in April cos the police and immigration are working seperately! Also did anybody find out when they actually expect us to start on the course, I only know April from the stuff they sent out in the past and it seems like that might be difficult to organise giving that we will all have to have our visa's through in plenty of time.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Hiya
Surely if you get a job offer, then you should (in theory) be offered permanent residency (unless they are having a bad day and either reject you or just offer work to permit). Friends of ours got permanent residency with a job offer he's a design eng'r though.

As for a date in April well, get used to this phrase: we're still trying to work that out....
Immigration girl said to us to prepare our EOI and be ready to submit should our police app' be successful. Once they have received it we should know within 2/3 weeks whether we have been selected out of the pool and then just a couple weeks more to find out if we have been successful for residency. (we take priority because we would have a job offer as opposed to someone who is lucky enough to have the qualifying points without a job offer.
Obviously, none of us are prepared to part with our cash until we know if we are in the job yet. But you can save alot of time by prepping an online EOI with as much information as you can lay your hands on. Once your EOI is in then you can start putting other information in place (ie) police certificates (wouldnt you have thought they would have been wavered???).
Our friends mentioned above although they were flying by the seats of their pants managed to do it. They found a potential employer in October, didnt get a job offer till December and moved out at the middle of Feb. And that was with 2 small children.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

dot405 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hector212
Jenks
Doctors fee "OUCH" thats sounds steep. Had my day yesterday, and passed the physical, so dead chuffed with that. Only one other chap passed everything, but i got the impression that it was a case of showing the effort, and a never say die attitude they were looking for, and in-fact one of the NZ cop did say that there was some leeway on the physical. So if things didn't go well on the day for anyone do not lose hope.
I got a definitive answer on the type of visa we would get and that is a RESIDENCY visa. the girl stated they made mistakes in 2002 and in order to be fair it would be an application for residency we apply for. So that was good news.
i thought the day went well, and was glad i took my other half with me. I felt the NZ cops were honest in their assessments of all issues we discussed whether good or bad.
Jenks, i don't know your background in the job, but if you are a detective or traffic man, and wish to go into those fields, then there will be no need to serve the two years on general duties. For me (CID) i would do 5/6 weeks of the basic 11 week training college course and then be moved sideways to a detective training course where they will assess my UK experience, train me up on what they think i needed to learn with regard to NZ practices, and straight out as a temp detective, serve a 12 month period on appraisal and then get appointed.
they also said that the new government which has been elected have promised 1000 extra bobbies so it maybe whilst here they will look at taking 50 more, This is in the ratification stage but may well happen.
i could go on but dont want to bore folks.
Just have to wait till December now.
hector212
Well done Hec, can you recall what was exactly said about medicals ? Am i right in believeing that they have to be done by our own FMO s ? and if so how long have we got. I am sure they told us but i must have been still trying to catch my breath afetr the run. Mick.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dot405
Well done Hec, can you recall what was exactly said about medicals ? Am i right in believeing that they have to be done by our own FMO s ? and if so how long have we got. I am sure they told us but i must have been still trying to catch my breath afetr the run. Mick.
Mick, you can get your GP to do it. The visa medicals are done by their panel doctors (sorry if you knew that already).

Jenks, I wish it was that simple. I've been told that immigration reserve the right to offer you whatever visa they decide is best suited to you, after they haev selected you from the pool etc. I wonder if we are being enticed with 'Permanent Residency Visa' only to be handed a 'take it or leave it' work permit by immigration when the time comes. Hmmm maybe I'm just cynical...

I'd still go though!!!

Old Nov 9th 2005, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Mick, i believe it is as Hagey states, The police medical to be done by your own doctor (for a fee) and the immigration one by a panel of their doctors which can be found on web site. you contact one nearest to your area and arrange it(again for a fee). The immigration lady, did state however that if you encountered difficulty in getting ahold of one of the panel doctors you could use your own gp, but as this medical is a more detailed one the chances are they may not correctly assess to the required detail and so the forms would keep bouncing back until it was right, which would incur delays on your application,and probably .....yes you guessed it.....more fees.

Hagey...i understand your suspicion about the residency, and you may yet be proved right, but we did press her for clarification on the matter, and she assured us that quote " we will be processing the successful applicants with regard to residency"

finally with regard to April start date. The inspector stated that the recruitment team have a dead line as the training college requires the course to start in April. He told us everything was in place (with regard to the police) for this time frame. Immigration qualified that by stating they knew of the police situation, and that our applications will be dealt with from the pool on a priority basis, and they anticipated things could be resolved within the space on one month...So on that basis April does look favourite..

cheers chaps Hector212
Old Nov 9th 2005, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Hector212, great news from immigration about prioritising our applications, I wasn't sure they were going to do that.

The visa thing still stands (as I understand it) that the PR visa will not give you indefinite leave to stay and that may be an issue for some people but to be honest I don't see how really because you can apply for that at a later date and we were told that it wouldn't be long. So, fingers crossed we can all get this done in time and be off to the South Pacific early in the new year!!

Cheers

Hagey.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:35 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Hi All

I have been reading all your posts over the past weeks with interest

I am a Prison officer dog handler of 14 years experience

I am going out to NZ as soon as we sell our house we have our visa's and have until august 2006 till they expire

I am going to join the NZ corrections service

I have read a few posts about your visa's and you all seem a bit confused ...... from what I understand the Police are on the skilled migrant category list along with Prison Officer, Fire Person (sorry did not want to be sexist ) you can check this out at the NZ Immigration site ( I just have) which means when you get a written job offer you can fill in an on line Expression of Interest, as long as you get over 100 points which you will as long as you have a pulse and are under 56, you get more points for the length of service in the UK police, you can do a quick on line check at the immigration web site.

If you do get over 100 points you can fill in the real Expression of Interest ( and pay the fee's ) after a couple of weeks, if selected, which you will be if you have over 100 points you will be invited to apply for residency called an Invitation To apply

After filling in that and having medicals, blood tests etc You are sent back your passports with blue Permanent residency stickers in, you then have a year to go to NZ and once in NZ 3 months to start the job specified in your application ( NZ Police )

After 3 months of being in that job you are granted permanent residency

So the skilled migrant category should be the route for most of you with a few years in, to go for....... check it out

Good luck to you all

Hope this post is not to jumbled.. it is late

Cheers

K9
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:53 am
Just Joined

K9

thanks for that mate, for some reason the immigration people have not seemed to give outright straight answers to various questions, with concerns to the police officers going over. It is this that is fuelling the "suspicion" we may be enticed out there under the believe we are getting residency but to find it isn't quite that...Maybe we are too damn suspicious for our own good!!

Cheers Hector212
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 6:40 am
Just Joined

stefek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hector212
K9

thanks for that mate, for some reason the immigration people have not seemed to give outright straight answers to various questions, with concerns to the police officers going over. It is this that is fuelling the "suspicion" we may be enticed out there under the believe we are getting residency but to find it isn't quite that...Maybe we are too damn suspicious for our own good!!

Cheers Hector212
hi to all here,
i too was looking at taking up the police recruitment in nz, but in the end decided not to as too much hassle, and came out as a nurse instead..i was a nurse until 6 years ago when joined the job.
have to say that we had no problem with immigration dept. and found them very helpful. however since being here, 4 months now, have found that NZ police have a problem with local recruitment and massive resignations from warranted officers over very poor morale and they do not have a good 'image' in NZ, poor performance, etc. the police commisioner here is under pressure to lower recruiting standards to get more people into the police.
also look on new zealand herald website as they had an editorial/feature on NZ police and how a lot of their work is being taken over by security firms as they do not have to officers to attend jobs. also be aware that currently NZ police do not provide stab vests, have to buy your own, despite the level of knives and guns that are carried.
stefek
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Stefek.

thanks for the information, always useful to know..Things have progressed since my last post, and i have been successful in obtaining a job offer with the NZ police. If you do not mind i will share your comments with others in my situation, as it is most welcome to get the views of people over there, first hand.
Speak soon
cheers Hector

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.