Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Help with WAPOL application

Help with WAPOL application

Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Pebbles23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with WAPOL application

Hello all,

I really hope you can help. I am a uk PC looking to transfer with my boyfriend who is also a PC and I could use a little guidance and advice from those of you who are lucky enough to know the answers...

1. The first aid requirement. Is the officer safety training first aid we have here enough, or did you have to obtain an additional qualification?

2. For those of you that have been successful, did WAPOL help with visa's for your families too or just for yourselves (incase one of us makes it and the other doesn't)

3. Can anyone recommend any books etc for the PEE, interview and even the application if such a thing exists?

4. I have structured my recognition of prior service behavioural statement against the job Dimensions. Can anyone advise whether this is correct/provide any feedback?

Really hope some one can help... As those of you that have already made this step will remember, it's quite daunting and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

ECILOP will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help with WAPOL application

Hi,

I've recently applied to WAPOL myself so may be able to help you with some of the points you have raised:

1. I sent a copy of my First Aid Training Record with my application and was advised that this was sufficient in terms of the First Aid requirements WAPOL have set. The First Aid training we receive in the Met also includes defib training, however, I'm not sure if this is necessary to satisfy the WAPOL requirements.

2. If successful at testing then WAPOL will recommend you to the DIAC for a Sublass 186 Permenant Residency Visa. There is a fee of $3000AUSD for this visa which also covers any partner or children you would be emigrating with, however, if it is a de-facto partner then you may need to provide proof of your relationship in the form of any joint bank accounts, tenancy agreements etc...

In addition to this, each person would also need to have a medical. The average cost of this is £250 per person.

3. With regards to the written tests I've just using the practice tests on the WAPOL website. I've also been brushing up on my long multiplication, long division and speed, distance time calculations, all of which can be learnt using a multitude of material which is available for free online.

I've also downloaded the WAPOL 2012 Annual Report and been following any high profile operations in the news.

From what I've been told, the interview for transitional officers is quite relaxed and focused on your previous service.

4. When i completed my recognition of prior service form I just provided an overview of my previous service, including any high profile events and successful operations i had been involved in. My thoughts were that they wanted to see that you could show you had a wide range of experience covering all of the things they mention in the form such as attending RTCs, giving evidence in court, making arrests, compiliing case files etc...

I hope this helps you in some way.

There are a lot of people on the forums who have been through the process already who will know a lot more than I do.

Good luck.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

EC182 is an unknown quantity at this point

4. It doesn't give much of an explanation on the form re. what they actually want you to include in the Behavioural Statement, but I would say that you should just

speak in broad terms about your career to date, your aptitudes, what job-related skills you've acquired in your current role (and anywhere else), and how these

would benefit WAPOL. Also go into your motivations for wanting to join WAPOL, and what you hope to get out of it.

I've only sent mine off in the last couple of weeks, so I'm no expert, but that would be my take on it.
Old May 20th 2013, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

divingmoose is an unknown quantity at this point

So just to clarify if successful and get a job offer we have to pay £3000 to get the visa and is this paid straight away and also I don't live with my girlfriend and I assume she can't come on the back of my visa
Thanks
Old May 20th 2013, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

johnnet is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by divingmoose
So just to clarify if successful and get a job offer we have to pay £3000 to get the visa and is this paid straight away and also I don't live with my girlfriend and I assume she can't come on the back of my visa
Thanks
the visa cost is currently £2080 (3000 dollars) and yes you can have your girlfriend on the visa, but oz immigration may want proof of relationship ie living together etc??!!
Old May 20th 2013, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys in the statement I've given a brief history and a few bits I've dealt with asbo's, counter terrorism, op blunt and working with Dpg.

Anyone got any other pointers I want to send it off tomorrow.
Old May 22nd 2013, 2:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by divingmoose
Thanks
If its a 457 temp visa they sponsor you for you will need to prove 6 months cohabitation. If its for a permanent visa you will need to prove 12 months.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point

For those that have done the PEE, can you enlighten us as to what words we should be brushing up on for the spelling test.

Am rusty with all that stuff and nervous as hell.
Old May 23rd 2013, 5:54 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

Basically, long and often misspelled words used in statements.
Can't remember any of them to be honest and WAPol don't like previous applicants to give too much information away.
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Nottsscouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brisbec
Basically, long and often misspelled words used in statements.
Can't remember any of them to be honest and WAPol don't like previous applicants to give too much information away.
Well do it in secret to our private messages!!
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Nottsscouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ECILOP
Hi,

I've recently applied to WAPOL myself so may be able to help you with some of the points you have raised:

1. I sent a copy of my First Aid Training Record with my application and was advised that this was sufficient in terms of the First Aid requirements WAPOL have set. The First Aid training we receive in the Met also includes defib training, however, I'm not sure if this is necessary to satisfy the WAPOL requirements.

2. If successful at testing then WAPOL will recommend you to the DIAC for a Sublass 186 Permenant Residency Visa. There is a fee of $3000AUSD for this visa which also covers any partner or children you would be emigrating with, however, if it is a de-facto partner then you may need to provide proof of your relationship in the form of any joint bank accounts, tenancy agreements etc...

In addition to this, each person would also need to have a medical. The average cost of this is £250 per person.

3. With regards to the written tests I've just using the practice tests on the WAPOL website. I've also been brushing up on my long multiplication, long division and speed, distance time calculations, all of which can be learnt using a multitude of material which is available for free online.

I've also downloaded the WAPOL 2012 Annual Report and been following any high profile operations in the news.

From what I've been told, the interview for transitional officers is quite relaxed and focused on your previous service.

4. When i completed my recognition of prior service form I just provided an overview of my previous service, including any high profile events and successful operations i had been involved in. My thoughts were that they wanted to see that you could show you had a wide range of experience covering all of the things they mention in the form such as attending RTCs, giving evidence in court, making arrests, compiliing case files etc...

I hope this helps you in some way.

There are a lot of people on the forums who have been through the process already who will know a lot more than I do.

Good luck.
I just nearly puked when you mentioned long division! You'll have me messing about with tangents, sine and cosine next!!!!!