British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   Frontex Border Guard (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/frontex-border-guard-930437/)

brunocoropos Mar 2nd 2020 10:57 am

Re: Frontex Border Guard

Originally Posted by Fudokanconway (Post 12814623)
Even looking at AST4,
It states Temporary staff.

A contract of employment will be offered for a period of five years, with a probationary period of nine months. The contract may be renewed once.

So after you contract is reviewed once, does that mean you can only work there for 10 years max? I wonder with the training and development they invest in each person over time will allow you to transfer into another postion or go for promotion..once your foot is in the door.

I agree with you!

Lenka01 Mar 2nd 2020 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Fudokanconway (Post 12814623)
Even looking at AST4,
It states Temporary staff.

A contract of employment will be offered for a period of five years, with a probationary period of nine months. The contract may be renewed once.

So after you contract is reviewed once, does that mean you can only work there for 10 years max? I wonder with the training and development they invest in each person over time will allow you to transfer into another postion or go for promotion..once your foot is in the door.

1. It is my understanding that you cannot work more than 10years in this contract.
However, you can still apply for other job offers. So the maxium time would restart again.

2. In my country my employer pays me two times a year bonuses, which are called Christmas bonus and Holliday bonus. Does anyone know if these contracts pay such bonuses?

scrubbedexpat092 Mar 2nd 2020 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Lenka01 (Post 12814628)
1. It is my understanding that you cannot work more than 10years in this contract.
However, you can still apply for other job offers. So the maxium time would restart again.

2. In my country my employer pays me two times a year bonuses, which are called Christmas bonus and Holliday bonus. Does anyone know if these contracts pay such bonuses?

As this is a European union civil servant job the regulations stated in the EU staff regulations document applies. As far as I can see it does not mention holiday bonuses but you never no.

it's a long complicated read but worth a look so you can get an idea of what you are getting yourself into. Available in all EU languages too.

Worth opening on desktop too.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...140501&from=EN

5200 Mar 2nd 2020 1:24 pm

Actually, according to the new frontex regulation, art 95:

3. Statutory staff who are subject to the Conditions of Employment shall in principle be engaged initially for a fixed period of five years. Their contracts may in principle be renewed only once, for a fixed period of a maximum of five years. Any further renewal shall be for an indefinite period.

As the Bible says: search and you will find!

scrubbedexpat092 Mar 2nd 2020 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by 5200 (Post 12814674)
Actually, according to the new frontex regulation, art 95:

3. Statutory staff who are subject to the Conditions of Employment shall in principle be engaged initially for a fixed period of five years. Their contracts may in principle be renewed only once, for a fixed period of a maximum of five years. Any further renewal shall be for an indefinite period.

As the Bible says: search and you will find!

Very good find.

Fernandes Mar 2nd 2020 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by brunocoropos (Post 12814622)
Fernandes are you portuguese?

I am. And you?

Chantal F Mar 2nd 2020 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by giannitwo (Post 12814507)
Secondment vs Contracted
I am referring to temporary Job AD7.
You have a probationary period of 7 months. Also you can fail to complete the training programme. Then you have a contract of 5 years that can be renewed only once.
Basically not everyone can be interested to quit his/her job.
Just in case of getting hired, any info about the chance to ask for the temporary discharge from current job?

This is an important issue.
Exactly what I already mentioned in the beginning but nobody seemed to care, or at least hardly anyone reacted.
It is quite something to quit your job and step into an uncertain situation where you can be kicked out in the first 7 Months. And then what? Being unemployed..? Guess so. How to get another job as a police officer somewhere else? Not that easy, especially not when you are over 40.
Not all National Police forces give you a 5 year unpaid leave. But some do. Which is, in fact, not an honest competition between the Member states, because it's easier to apply when you get a paid leave then having to leave your steady job. And what about building up your public pension for example? Have agreements been made with National Polic Forces about this? I do not read anything about that.

Is something mentioned in the interview at all? I think these kind of important things are underexposed in the whole recruitment process. Yes, there are extensive documents, but they do not cover these items.

Stanx Mar 2nd 2020 7:37 pm

My belief is that we should stop thinking "I am the most suitable and needed candidate for this type of venture".
You will notice, this is when the dots will start connecting.

Lenka01 Mar 2nd 2020 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Stanx (Post 12814951)
My belief is that we should stop thinking we are the most suitable and needed candidate for this type of venture.
You will notice this is when the dots will start connecting.

Meaning?

Stanx Mar 2nd 2020 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lenka01 (Post 12814952)
Meaning?

Meaning there's plenty of profiles out there who's not us...:-)

Lenka01 Mar 2nd 2020 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Stanx (Post 12814953)
Meaning there's plenty of profiles out there who's not us...:-)

But from what I've understood you have been to the interview and sent your certificates to Frontex. Why are you at this point so pessimistic?

scrubbedexpat092 Mar 2nd 2020 7:48 pm

Guys and girls, perhaps we are being too hasty with what is fact and what is unknown. From 5200 post it mentions

" 3. Statutory staff who are subject to the Conditions of Employment shall in principle be engaged initially for a fixed period of five years. Their contracts may in principle be renewed only once, for a fixed period of a maximum of five years. Any further renewal shall be for an indefinite period."

All will be revealed in the job offer that frontex will offer before may. In my military you get 5 years then if you meet the critera you get signed on for a further extension. With frontex it might be the case if your complety useless and they want rid of you then you won't be given a new contract. After 10 years im sure the wont throw you out the door considering they have invested a serious amount of time and resources training you to that point. You will more than likely be offered that chance to compete for promotion in HQ. Who really knows

Also if you make it to the interview this is a question to ask them. I asked the question to one of the HR interviewers and they all stated that they themselves are on 5 year contracts. I'm sure once your in the frontex door you will know

Stanx Mar 2nd 2020 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lenka01 (Post 12814954)
But from what I've understood you have been to the interview and sent your certificates to Frontex. Why are you at this point so pessimistic?

Am I?... No. Maybe it's my English.
I'm not. I'm very positive and I trust we are part of something great. I look forward to be of service! I really do.

clem34 Mar 2nd 2020 7:53 pm

If you read carefully the selection notice, the answer is on page 9/14. You start building Eu pension scheme OR you can stay in your national pension (FX will pay contributions to your country pension system).

a lot of questions about eu staff are answered in the staff regulations , again page 9/14 for enough curious people.

Yes , this is a contract offer so what ? If you are not ready for this and risk a bit, well .. you should not apply maybe and look for a less "adventurous" job.... Regardless of the selection procedure, this won't be an "easy" job, be prepared to be on mission about 8 months a year Somewhere in Europe or further in hard conditions and in a very short delay (look what happen in Greece), with family away maybe in Warsaw where you will be barely 4 months a year including holidays.

I was used to this rythm in a former job and i had no kids. So believe me, 5 years contract will be more than enough for a lot of people.

I think this job is really for fully commited, flexible and yes, adventurous people in the current conditions offered.

​​​

​​​

Stanx Mar 2nd 2020 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by clem34 (Post 12814960)
If you read carefully the selection notice, the answer is on page 9/14. You start building Eu pension scheme OR you can stay in your national pension (FX will pay contributions to your country pension system).

a lot of questions about eu staff are answered in the staff regulations , again page 9/14 for enough curious people.

Yes , this is a contract offer so what ? If you are not ready for this and risk a bit, well .. you should not apply maybe and look for a less "adventurous" job.... Regardless of the selection procedure, this won't be an "easy" job, be prepared to be on mission about 8 months a year Somewhere in Europe or further in hard conditions and in a very short delay (look what happen in Greece), with family away maybe in Warsaw where you will be barely 4 months a year including holidays.

I was used to this rythm in a former job and i had no kids. So believe me, 5 years contract will be more than enough for a lot of people.

I think this job is really for fully commited, flexible and yes, adventurous people in the current conditions offered.

​​​

​​​

Fully agree!
Well pointed out.