Emigrating Alone

Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

g_conaty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating Alone

Im at a point where i am considering one of two options:

1. Remain in the UK and join the Royal Air Force

2. Emigrate to Canada and join the Calgary Police Service

My first choice would have to be the apply to join CPS, however, i have already decided upon a few 'back up' plans if i was to be unsuccessful.

I am currently completing an application from to submit to CPS ready for the initial testing phase which will take place in London in October, however, prior to submitting this i have to ask myself the question'do i have a realistic chance of being accepted?'.

I am a 20 year old police officer with almost 2 years service as a PC (another 6 months as a Special Constable) and if successful in an application to CPS i would be itnending to move to Canada alone. Has anyone else emigrated alone or does anyone know what the chances of a single person emigrating are? The reason i ask is becuase as i understand it the vast majority of people who apply to join the police service in Canada have partners or are planning to emigrate with families or have family members living in Canada.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

jackhorner21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigrating Alone

Hey, I am gonna be going out to join the Royal Cayman Islands Police at the end of September and am sooooo looking forward to it - you may not know anyone but you won't be the only one out there on recruitment so you will probably bond with your recruits.

As for being single, I don't think that will be a problem, if anything it may help as you will have no ties and can be put anywhere to do anything.

What I am curious about is why you are wanting to join the CPS or the RAF after not yet completing your 2 probation - where do you work, is it that bad??

I have got 10 years in and am taking the chance in the RCIPS for the experience of it and I want a better quality of life due to changes in my own personnal circs.

Is it the job as a cop you don't like? its the same all over the world, and what would you want to do in the RAF - is this as a cop too??

I am not having a go at you or anything, just playing devils advocate because I can say with certainty that they will ask you these questions and be more ruthless with you and your answers.

Jack
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Clarey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigrating Alone

Hi,

I have a telephone interview for the Caymans tomorrow and if I proceed I'll be going alone. I think its a very scarey thing to do but lots of people do it.

Good luck!