Edmonton Police Service

Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Jayzee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Edmonton Police Service

Originally Posted by bobhope
Well thats it our flights are booked we leave sunny UK, did I say sunny! we leave on 25th March Canadian affair to Calgary then West Jet to Edmonton! Resign from Hants next week! Hurrah!! Just need a job now. ha ha. Well its a big place, i'm not worried. Pension trap???????? Balony!! nearly 24yrs pension ..go for it!
Still hopeful for EPS, but job hunting and house hunting soon. Best of luck to everyone who has applied. stick with it. Byeeeeeeeeeee.
Bob,

Great news. Best of luck and hopefully I will see you in Edmonton in the none too distant future. Hope EPS have a change of heart.

Good Luck

Jay
Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

bobhope is on a distinguished road

Cheers mate!
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:02 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Edmonton Police Service

Great news Bob. All the best and let us know how you get on with the EPS fingers x for you.
I noticed your question about insurance, if you are stil employed with the Police your travel insurance you have through them will cover you, I know it covered us when we moved over as long as hubby was still employed with them.

Good luck
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

gopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bobhope
Well thats it our flights are booked we leave sunny UK, did I say sunny! we leave on 25th March Canadian affair to Calgary then West Jet to Edmonton! Resign from Hants next week! Hurrah!! Just need a job now. ha ha. Well its a big place, i'm not worried. Pension trap???????? Balony!! nearly 24yrs pension ..go for it!
Still hopeful for EPS, but job hunting and house hunting soon. Best of luck to everyone who has applied. stick with it. Byeeeeeeeeeee.
best of luck bob and give us a shout if you need help with jobs/housing etc and well do what we can..youre welcome in hay lakes anytime for a pint
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:34 pm
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about

How many uk officers did they take on after the tests in Oct 2005?
I was down for the tests in Birmingham but foolishly didnt go as I was up for Ottawa, only thing is I didnt get through the pshyc interview. She wasnt very pro Brit. So plan B is go for Edmonton and Calgary.

Is the written test a problem or not???
Twitchy
Old Mar 12th 2006, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
Just curious about a few aspects mentioned on this thread. I take it that you can't transfer any UK police pension over to the EPS scheme ?
What are the most common area's that UK cop's fail on (apart from the fitness)
Also, what earth do they ask on the disclosure interview.

Cheers

Steve.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
hi,
Just curious about a few aspects mentioned on this thread. I take it that you can't transfer any UK police pension over to the EPS scheme ?
What are the most common area's that UK cop's fail on (apart from the fitness)
Also, what earth do they ask on the disclosure interview.

Cheers

Steve.
Hi Steve,

1) No you canot transfer a UK police pensions - no idea why.
2) The main area is actually the pull ups in the fitness although recently there have been officers who failed the lot. Another problem area for the Brits seems to be the behavioural event. Ironic when this should be one of the easiest for an experienced officer. I am surmising that this is down to bad preparation/laziness, as they will not give any extras for being a current police officer.
3) Go to the EPS website and download the officer disclosure form. Done that? That is the disclosure interview and this is the basis for the polygraph. All they do is go into the form in greater detail - so it might be an idea to keep a copy so you can remember exactly what you wrote. However on this area a few bobbies have been caught out with previous disciplinary issues - I do not know the specifics but it is worth checking this out with your C & D Department so you know exactly what you do and don't have on your record.

Hope this helps,

Jay
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

AWIL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I've been viewing these threads for some time, but have never posted a response. I've been considering a move abroad for some time now; the wife keeps talking about Edmonton this and Edmonton that; she's a nurse and would love to go. The prospect looks even more attractive now that they are starting us on 5 year salary. The main problem that I just cannot get past is my pension. I've got 12 years in and am currently a DS on reactive CID. I can't get past that feeling of having 'too much too loose', but have to confess I'm not that clued up on the whole process either.

So I can put this to bed one way or another, has anyone had any similar issues like this when considering applying.

Many thanks

AW
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future

The whole pension issue is difficult to get past. I've got five years in so perhaps it wasn't so bad for me, still it's something I gave a lot of thought to. It doesn't help to know that even officers joining now don't get anywhere near the sort of pension I've got. I've tried to find out a little more about how my measly five years will pay out and I was actually quite pleasantly surprised. My overriding thoughts were that I want to move over to Edmonton, I want to seize the opportunity for a complete change of life with both hands and I just couldn't accept the prospect of missing out on all that might come my way because of a good pension deal (ok, great pension deal!)
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hey if its any help I have a 24 year pension and I dont mind at all leaving it! I suppose that I am loosing about £100,000 if you add up the ten years that I cant claim it now, and the lump sum! But hey the over riding factor is live your life! Too often I hear those immortal words 'caught in the pension trap!' I also know a lot of officers who unfortunatly didnt enjoy their pension for very long after retiring, so my advice, go for it, learn to ski, play hockey and experiance the rockies! Absolutly!!!!!!!!! Good luck!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Just had to tell you that we received our passport request this morning - only 7 weeks after we applied to London - not bad eh? Now we can plan for landing sometime in June. Hopefully this good news for me should give heart for those currently in the process as they really seem to be pushing the applications through.

If anyone needs any assistance reference the process so far do ask. I will try and help if I can.

Jay
Old Apr 16th 2006, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future

WE GOT IT!!!!!! Passport requests received yesterday, flights booked, house bought....Canada here we come...woooohoooo! All you guys going through the process and feeling like it's taking forever, check out my timeline in my signature, almost identical to Jayzee's, gotta be reassuring!
Old Apr 21st 2006, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Just thought that I would post an update. Got a reply from EPS with my appeal. The letter said, thanks but we have still defered you for five years.

Oh well! Still its great living here I have completed a two day first aid and CPR course that most employers like you to have! Got a nice little certificate, makes a change from the nothing we used to get from UK police first aid courses!

Got an oil field pre employment course starting on Sunday which qualifys me in another couple of safety things. Hydrogen sulphide and something else called whims? ha ha. Also gives me hands on rig work, hopefully with a job at the end of it!

If that doesnt work out, may apply to Calgary Police. OR I may re qualify for building stuff, become a roofer or something as they earn a packet! At least when I hit 60 I have a fab pension! ha ha. You never know might re apply to EPS again some time later, it might help with a Canadian Employer saying I am wonderful! Might cost me some beers though!
Anyway best of luck to everyone else applying, if ya do get in, remember me if you stop me for speeding! ha ha. If you dont get in, its not the end of the world, remember you have skills, Calgary might accept you and there are other forces out there too. Keep at it! See ya. Bob
Old May 19th 2006, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

sym13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. I'm a newcomer to the site but have been considering applying to foreign police services and would welcome any help that anyone is prepared to share.

Please E-mail/leave me a message

Many thanks.
Old May 21st 2006, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hi sym 13, what information specifically are you after with regard to the EPS? Have a look at the website www.joineps.ca and see what you think, if you still think you're interested and need any more info post again and I'll see if I can be of any help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.