Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

DC on a career break in the US

DC on a career break in the US

Old Sep 18th 2012, 3:08 am
Just Joined

art924 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DC on a career break in the US

Hi

I am currently in the middle of a 2 year career break which can be extended up to 5 years from the met. I am currently living in San Francisco with my wife who has transferred here with her job. As I'm on a spousal visa I do have the right the work in the USA. I was just wandering is there anyone out there who could give me some advice on where to look for work. I was a DC in the met for the previous 11 years the last 3 and half spent on the counter terrorism command. I am not interested in being a policeman here (I know I would have to be a citizen anyway) but would like to work in a similar field using my experience. I've applied for about 10-15 jobs so far with no luck. Anyone out there with advice/suggestions as to where to look or how to go about it? Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:54 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DC on a career break in the US

Originally Posted by art924
Hi

I am currently in the middle of a 2 year career break which can be extended up to 5 years from the met. I am currently living in San Francisco with my wife who has transferred here with her job. As I'm on a spousal visa I do have the right the work in the USA. I was just wandering is there anyone out there who could give me some advice on where to look for work. I was a DC in the met for the previous 11 years the last 3 and half spent on the counter terrorism command. I am not interested in being a policeman here (I know I would have to be a citizen anyway) but would like to work in a similar field using my experience. I've applied for about 10-15 jobs so far with no luck. Anyone out there with advice/suggestions as to where to look or how to go about it? Thanks
Hi Art

First of all welcome to BE and the Police forum.

I recommend you re post this onto our USA forum, where it will reach a wider audience in the States who are in industries other than policing. Most of the folks on this forum are either serving coppers or looking at becoming coppers abroad. I think you may get more responses by reposting there.

In the meantime all the very best with your job hunting

Dread - x
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

powersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DC on a career break in the US

Originally Posted by art924
Hi

Hello mate,

Im on a 5 year break (with Essex) and have moved over to the East Coast. I have my green card as I am married to a yank and trying to get into a force over here. Let me know how you get on over there. Been told that San Diego and LA will take me but don't really fancy moving to the West Coast.

Ill pm my email.

Cheers