Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

CPS Application Process... How Long?

CPS Application Process... How Long?

Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

source is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CPS Application Process... How Long?

Could we have a thread with people who have 'been there, done it' documenting the actual length of time from start to finish and any hiccups in between for us who are just starting out?

The CPS thread is great and I have read it the whole way through but it takes ages to look back at something you may have seen and forgotten which page it is on

If you don't think it is a good idea just shout at me
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CPS Application Process... How Long?

AAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH

Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

My timeline is under my profile. For info, here is ours, approximately. Bear in mind, however, that we did not come over by the PNP, we were already some way into applying for PR via the Skilled Worker route, but some of the CPS stuff will be relevant.

May 05 - Applied to CHC for PR
Feb 06 - Recce to Calgary / see recruitment dept / told to submit forms anyway (rumblings of the PNP being agreed at this point, it would probably not make difference to us either way).
Mar 06 - Application submitted to CPS
Apri 06 - Medical requests from CHC (with thanks to CPS who 'put in a phone call' - this however brought our timeline forward about two years as we did not think we would be able to move till late 2008/early 2009!!)
May 06 - Medicals done
June 06 - Pssport requests
July 06 - Passports with shiny visa received
Dec 06 - Return to Calgary - complete all CPS tests (it's the 'royal we' at this point - I'm just relaying all my hubby's hard work!)
Jan 07 - "You have passed all the tests" - Yay! Background checks commence
Jan 07 - completed on sale of house, even without final confirmation of a job!! Move into rented accomm.
Feb 07 - No nails left at this point, weekly visits to hairdressers to dye my hair back to normal colour - "We are pleased to offer you a job"

"Would you like to start on the May course?"
"No thanks - July would be great, ta "

May 07 - Move to Canada - just like that - easy mate ....

July 07 - Start with CPS

No major hiccups - just stress. Minor discussion over hubby's polygraph! But all's well that ends well, etc ....

I still reckon, from start to finish, the PNP route is around 18 months .... on average

Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, kind lady
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

chrisish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by source
Thank you, kind lady
I applied late April 2007. Phoned in late September and could have gone out mid November but ended up thete mid December. Am just waiting for my referees to be contacted (6 weeks or so?) and then 4 to 6 months for immigration stuff. Just got to sell the house!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

All the best with selling the house
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
AAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH

Yep
Old Jan 26th 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
Yep
Thanks for your helpfulness
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

TinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Our total timeline is at the bottom. The bit specific to CPS is;

Oct 2006 -Went to London for written tests etc October 2006,
Dec 2006 - advised passed, and invited to do rest of application process in Calgary.
Feb 2007 - travelled to Calgary and completed rest of application process.
May 2007 - Job offer

The rest is below....

Good luck
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TinaH
Hi,

Our total timeline is at the bottom. The bit specific to CPS is;

Oct 2006 -Went to London for written tests etc October 2006,
Dec 2006 - advised passed, and invited to do rest of application process in Calgary.
Feb 2007 - travelled to Calgary and completed rest of application process.
May 2007 - Job offer

The rest is below....

Good luck

Thanks very much Tina - I think it will be a lot easier for people to read here than trawl through all the other thread!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Darlick is an unknown quantity at this point

This may be just pure luck with my application, but it appears things may be moving faster than I certainly expected. I applied a few weeks ago - mid Jan. I've just had an e-mail from my file manager asking for my availability to go out for testing. Having read through the various threads I didn't expect to hear anything for a few months!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Darlick
This may be just pure luck with my application, but it appears things may be moving faster than I certainly expected. I applied a few weeks ago - mid Jan. I've just had an e-mail from my file manager asking for my availability to go out for testing. Having read through the various threads I didn't expect to hear anything for a few months!!
WOW ~ really? That is amazing!

Do you have a problem with holidays? Ours are set in stone from like last October or something so we couldn't go until August this year.... unless we managed a miracle!!

Well done and all the best - when do you head out?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

weetam is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: CPS Application Process... How Long?

Could we have a thread with people who have 'been there, done it' documenting the actual length of time from start to finish and any hiccups in between for us who are just starting out?

The CPS thread is great and I have read it the whole way through but it takes ages to look back at something you may have seen and forgotten which page it is on

If you don't think it is a good idea just shout at me
You've got my vote source, i've just posted on the thread you were discussing, hopefully I'll not need to spend 3 hrs reading, again !!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

I just thought it would be useful for us 'newbies' as I am active on a few other forums (and a Moderator on one!) and haven't seen such a bizarre way of posting in ages

Anyway - works for some... Just thought this one might help the ones who don't have a spare 3 hours

Thanks for the vote!!!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

weetam is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: CPS Application Process... How Long?

I just thought it would be useful for us 'newbies' as I am active on a few other forums (and a Moderator on one!) and haven't seen such a bizarre way of posting in ages

Anyway - works for some... Just thought this one might help the ones who don't have a spare 3 hours

Thanks for the vote!!!
Its a pleasure source, it makes all the difference to have info from individuals who are already in the process.

Just pasted my notes from the other threads, i'm working on a mass spread system here.

Hi everyone,
my first e-mail here so here goes. Spent the last 23 years(has it really been that long, I demand a re-count!) in the British Army and am now a WO1(ASM). Spent 2 years with the Army in Canada and decided to start the process to move permenantly. Married with 2 kids(10 and 6). My residency application went in Nov 05 and have just been told it will be processed in 3-5 months.
Always fancied the Police and the CPS seems perfect. If anyone has any points to assist me I would be most grateful. Any ex-military out there, PNP program and how quickly it can process current applications etc. I'm about to send my application off and am in Canada working in the summer so am hoping to tie in all my tests if all goes well.
Been looking at julieparry.com and hoping to get in touch with her for property info etc
Great thread and bags of info, heres hoping...............