Club One Five '0'

Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Rippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Club One Five '0'

Hi Ang and Mick

We are all in the same boat with this waiting, so i guess we will just have to spend the next few weeks talking about the weather and interesting stuff like that!

I've been up since 5.40am, ice on the car...brrr. Be glad when I don't have to de-ice the car anymore! Freezing today (max 5o) and rain Thurs and Fri..... great for the kids half term! Thank goodness for indoor soft play and DVDs!
Both my little cherubs are at nursery today so mummy can work a 10hr shift followed by a couple of hours down the gym!!

Let me think positive.....ummm........

well at least it's only 12 days til end of FEB! The only thing is SAPOL haven't been very prompt with their timescales...so maybe this will be a first.

Ann
Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:53 am
Just Joined

ronniecat25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by servibabe
'And give us this day our daily bread', no im not a preacher, but do you find yourselves drawn to this as if nothing else matters. I guess it doesnt really, just a snippet of positive news would be great.

Yes 2 weeks is a very long time, and no we have not put our house on the market, probably because it is no where near finished yet. i think i will still be leaving H behind even if we get the Sept course...if there is one of course.

Starting to thin things out on the house front though as in boot fairs etc, made £130 3 weeks ago. We will probably sell all of our bulky stuff minus the motor bikes. We need the money for the move.

We have been up in arms on a decesion on whether to sell or rent, but we will probably sell. We will have about £150.000 equity.

Anyway time to go off to work and do my 'risk assessment training' what a bundle of laughs.

back later

Coral and h
You seem to be in an identical position to us. Hope to have about £150k and are thinking of renting till it all settles. I'm in two minds whether to sell my Honda Hornet or take it. I can't see and Honda dealers in Adelaide and second hand bikes seem to be all from the 70's like the police leather jackets. They've still got Suzuki TS 185's out there. Most in England are in museums.
We have put our house on the market. We decided to maximise the time and it's not costing anything. If SAPOL say ****off then we can just take it off again. Have just painted the back door. Its taken me 6 years to do it! Unfortunately it's in red cos it's the only spare paint I have left and I didn't want to buy any more.
I now have a personal relationship with the local tip manager, his caravan is now decked out with all our throw outs.
Have potential buyers for both cars and the bike.
Am using my time at work to view site. It cheers me up!

Ronnie
Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

Hi all....

I hope they are prompt with the timescales in this case or I just might get a canoe and start paddling, cos sitting here is driving me mad!!!!

Ronnie..being a fellow biker whilst I was in Perth I did a little research into bike prices second hand and new. Bikes hold their value alot more over there (prob cos they don't rust etc) and for a comparable bike to your own hornet you could expect to pay around the £3000 british with the sportier stuff being a bit more expensive. I priced up a honda VFR 2000 model and it worked out about £4000 which is a bit more then I would expect to pay in the UK.
On the plus side though you could use the damn thing all year round without having to worry about hypothermia or dopey gritting lorries spreading insurance killing, body work and pride denting 'crash in a truck' lol.

Take care all not long now.

Lee
Old Feb 16th 2005, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

peteg182 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just read Australian News web site which gives an indication that SAPOL are on track to recruit 150 new officers by June aswell as the 60 UK officers in March. Thats only 210 by June still leaving a huge deficite of personel for the year and that is not allowing for those who drop out or fail. Hope this a good omen.

Pete
Old Feb 16th 2005, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

fg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Club One Five '0'

Originally Posted by peteg182
Just read Australian News web site which gives an indication that SAPOL are on track to recruit 150 new officers by June aswell as the 60 UK officers in March. Thats only 210 by June still leaving a huge deficite of personel for the year and that is not allowing for those who drop out or fail. Hope this a good omen.

Pete
Pete,
Lets just hope that the 150 is us 'in the pool', otherwise it does not sound too promising.....from my understanding they want 200 by Dec 2005 that includes any from Australia aswel. Or have i got this completely wrong and im having a drama head day??
Paula :scared:

Last edited by fg02; Feb 16th 2005 at 5:06 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fg02
Pete,
Lets just hope that the 150 is us 'in the pool', otherwise it does not sound too promising.....from my understanding they want 200 by Dec 2005 that includes any from Australia aswel. Or have i got this completely wrong and im having a drama head day??
Paula. My understanding is that they want an extra 200 this year aswell as those that they require due to natural attrition etc. Having read this article again it kind of suggests that they are on course to recruit 150 including the 60 Brits not aswell as as i previously said. Don't know what numbers they require in a normal year though. Anyone any thoughts???

Pete
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:22 pm
realistic & optimistic

brian1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peteg182

Pete
Hi Pete,

If this is true, it's a bizarre coincidence that the numbers equate exactly to the successful UK applicants.

Looking at it from a purely logical point of view (that usually gets me in trouble for a start!!) they are going to save £100's of thousands on the reduced training package of UK cops, put together with the fact that they simply cannot recruit back home, are they seriously going to turn away perfectly good candidates that have a very high probability of completeing the course and making a valuable contribution to SA?

If you cut through the chaff, I think the question answers itself. Happy daze.

brian

Last edited by brian1; Feb 16th 2005 at 5:24 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

JM&D is an unknown quantity at this point

.......and don't forget about 25% of the force is aged 50 - 60. That came from Brian who explained that he has personally interviewed and accepted a third of the current strength.

He has been in recruitment for ten years so appeared to know his stuff.

As I have said....say goodbye to your families..etc,etc...
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brian1
Hi Pete,

If this is true, it's a bizarre coincidence that the numbers equate exactly to the successful UK applicants.

Looking at it from a purely logical point of view (that usually gets me in trouble for a start!!) they are going to save £100's of thousands on the reduced training package of UK cops, put together with the fact that they simply cannot recruit back home, are they seriously going to turn away perfectly good candidates that have a very high probability of completeing the course and making a valuable contribution to SA?

If you cut through the chaff, I think the question answers itself. Happy daze.

brian
Brian...this article does also say ...'with the first 60 UK officers due to start in March'

Pete
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Kimbers is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't seen any psychics but my mum and sister say they have a 'feeling in their water' - does that count? My cousin serves with SA Pol and she says they aren't getting any info over there either. She stresses that they are deperate for good people though. Feeling very optomistic but no screaming until the contract is in my hand. Not got the house on the market because it's a tip with pain pots every where!!! Sorting out my medicals ready for the visa submission. No negative thinking allowed!! No nails left either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Rippo
Good Morning everyone,

Well I saw my psychic yesterday. He said he could see me with a paint brush painting the house, then he saw the house on the market, and he realised I was painting it to do it up to sell!

He says it will sell very quickly, or we will rent it out. And said we would be moving abroad, over water, and this too would be happening quickly. He said hubbie was looking for a new job.

The one scary thing was that he said I wasn't coming back to the uk except to visit, and that I wouldn't be fulfilled until I moved to Oz. (There was mention of a 3rd child and another man...but I think we'll just brush over those bits!!! )

So most of this was great news, and what was even better was he said that money would be good! (Well there's a first for everything)!

So something to keep me going for a little while longer.

Doesn't the end of February seem an awfully long way away!

Has anyone put their house on the market....just in case? We are going to wait for the elusive course offer.

Ann
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fg02
Pete,
From a number of reports attributable to Mr Alexander, Police Minister, SAPOL need 300 from natural attrition followed by the extra 200 the govt have promised.

210 now employed.........290 to find by the end of the year...its looking good.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

ronniecat25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kimbers
Haven't seen any psychics but my mum and sister say they have a 'feeling in their water' - does that count? My cousin serves with SA Pol and she says they aren't getting any info over there either. She stresses that they are deperate for good people though. Feeling very optomistic but no screaming until the contract is in my hand. Not got the house on the market because it's a tip with pain pots every where!!! Sorting out my medicals ready for the visa submission. No negative thinking allowed!! No nails left either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kimbers,
I think it was a smelling error the 'pain pots' being everywhere but I know what you mean. We told the mother-in-law today. That brought on the pain pots. You'd think we were travelling to the moon. It's not even certain yet but from what Pete says it looks promising.
I still think the big thing for us is the fact that they really can't afford the bad publicity they would get if they let down 150 experienced cops at this stage.
I don't believe in psycic's but had a spooky experience with the Haywards Heath Citizen (free local paper) that siad I would be be considering a new job and it would be my choice after careful consideration if I took it. I haven't read my stars in 20 years and probably wont fo the next 20.
When we do find out it would be nice to meet up with any 150's local so maybe we could post some details of Forces/ Stations etc. I know my wife would like to meet any other mothers with kids before we go. My son is 9.
We would also like to consider sharing a container to keep cost down if anyone is interested.

Ronnie
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Some more maths.....

SAPOL have managed to recruit 150 'locals' by June and have bolstered this number by 60 from the UK.

If they manage the same local numbers, say another 150, it makes a grand total of 360..........they will still need another 140.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ronniecat25
Hi Kimbers,
I think it was a smelling error the 'pain pots' being everywhere but I know what you mean. We told the mother-in-law today. That brought on the pain pots. You'd think we were travelling to the moon. It's not even certain yet but from what Pete says it looks promising.
I still think the big thing for us is the fact that they really can't afford the bad publicity they would get if they let down 150 experienced cops at this stage.
I don't believe in psycic's but had a spooky experience with the Haywards Heath Citizen (free local paper) that siad I would be be considering a new job and it would be my choice after careful consideration if I took it. I haven't read my stars in 20 years and probably wont fo the next 20.
When we do find out it would be nice to meet up with any 150's local so maybe we could post some details of Forces/ Stations etc. I know my wife would like to meet any other mothers with kids before we go. My son is 9.
We would also like to consider sharing a container to keep cost down if anyone is interested.

Ronnie
Ronnie, i'll start.
10 years, DC in Met at Ilford PS but moving to MIT SCD 1 (3) next month. Three kids, girl (stroppy 14 'ain't going to Australia' type) girl 9 (can't wait to become member of sleepover club in Aus type) and boy 2. Great idea to maybe meet up with some people if we get the nod.

Pete

Last edited by peteg182; Feb 16th 2005 at 7:07 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JM&D
Some more maths.....

SAPOL have managed to recruit 150 'locals' by June and have bolstered this number by 60 from the UK.

If they manage the same local numbers, say another 150, it makes a grand total of 360..........they will still need another 140.
I think it's better than that...i think 150 includes Brit 60, with aditional 90 they might recruit from July to Dec that makes only 210 leaving 290...or is that too optomistic?

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.