Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Career break or resignation?

Career break or resignation?

Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:58 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of
Default Career break or resignation?

I just wondered what peoples plans were for emigrating, career break or straight forward resignation? I'm not decided. A break gives me a safety net should I wish to return, but resignation gives me access to my pension, which according to Canadian law, will allow me to take some of it as a deposit for a house. Any opinions?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

widzers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Career break or resignation?

Originally Posted by Pincher
I just wondered what peoples plans were for emigrating, career break or straight forward resignation? I'm not decided. A break gives me a safety net should I wish to return, but resignation gives me access to my pension, which according to Canadian law, will allow me to take some of it as a deposit for a house. Any opinions?
I'm joining SAPOL in April 2010, I applied for a career break but it got refused as I was going to work for another organisation. It doesn't really change things, I'm still going. I know some UK Police Forces do give them so maybe worth applying for one anyway....

Paul
Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road

You cannot access your pension for a few years after you emigrate or the UK tax man takes around 40% - there is a threat on the issue.

I don't have the option of a career break so it will be resignation for me, if I get offered a job!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Hi all,

I intend to take a career break, as a preferential re-join. Another officer from my force has just gone out to CPS and was allowed the CB.

Re. the pension, you can transfer your police pension to a recognised scheme in Canada as listed on the below:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/PENSIONSCHEMES/qrops.pdf

Nige
Old Oct 13th 2009, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

ExMetCop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pincher
I took a career break ( 5 years) which is coming to an end. I can still access my pension after that. Nothing beats teh security of knowing I have a job to go back to.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExMetCop
Nothing beats teh security of knowing I have a job to go back to.
Amen to that. I think - if you can take one , then take it. Some forces are very anti - and some are OK. Give it a go and see what happens.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

MR MOM will become famous soon enoughMR MOM will become famous soon enough

You can access funds from your pension and not pay any UK tax.This depends on a few factors such as what you are using it for. There is a pension advisor doing the rounds who is misinformed and scaremongering regarding paying tax.
Make sure you know who you are dealing with regarding pension transfer and thet they have a proven track record. Its not as simple as it sounds.