Canada Police

Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

sariecooke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada Police

Hi all, I am new to this board but what with all the palava of people applying to go to Oz, juyst wondered if anybody has any experience of moving to Canada and joining the Police out there (when a landed PR by the way).

Me and the missus (both Police over here) where planning on sticking our forms in to apply for PR in Canada before the little bundle of joy in her tummy (for a few more days at least !!) managed to postpone our plans for the time being.

Victoria looked the best bet for us, having visited and done our reserch, well as much as possibly can be done when moving your whole life thousands of miles!!!

Any help/advice/sories would be gratefully recieved.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:26 pm
Cerdwin

Smile Re: Canada Police

Originally Posted by sariecooke
Hi all, I am new to this board but what with all the palava of people applying to go to Oz, juyst wondered if anybody has any experience of moving to Canada and joining the Police out there (when a landed PR by the way).

Me and the missus (both Police over here) where planning on sticking our forms in to apply for PR in Canada before the little bundle of joy in her tummy (for a few more days at least !!) managed to postpone our plans for the time being.

Victoria looked the best bet for us, having visited and done our reserch, well as much as possibly can be done when moving your whole life thousands of miles!!!

Any help/advice/sories would be gratefully recieved.
Dear ones, The only experience I have with the Canadian Police has been comforting. They recognized my late husband (a cop) when he was killed in the line of duty. They seem to be a great group and very supportive.

Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:10 pm
KJT
Forum Regular

KJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really niceKJT is just really nice
Default Re: Canada Police

Hi,

I am also in the job over here in the UK, (not for much longer!) I applied for my PR visa last August and had the visa in my hand by December!!! Amazingly quick!!

Just make sure that you evidence absolutely everything in your visa application file treating it like your "points to prove"

My house is now sold and in about 2 months if all goes well I should be in SW Ontario, houses are cheap and plenty of forces recruiting.

Also lots of large towns in the region which is good for work opportunities becasue I will have to do something else work wise for a while whiilst I wait out my Police application.

If I can help more let me know!!!

LKT
Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

In October 2002 (so long ago now) I went to Toronto and completed the Toronto Police Service entrance exams and interviews. I think there were 12 of us that had gone out there, all serving UK Police Officers, and about half passed, including me. In December 2002 I got a letter from Toronto Polcie confirming I had passed all the entrance tests and that the result were valid for 3 years (October 2005)

We put the immigration application in around May 2003 and we are now waiting for the Visa hopefully won't be too long now. I know this seems like a long time but a new addition to the family held things up a little!

I have been quite positve about the whole thing so far. My wife also works and earns a similar salary to me. I have found jobs on workopolis that are the same spec as what she does now. My plan has been that I will be employed with Toronto Police and that my wife will be able to get a job doing something similar to what she does now.

However, a lot of posts on this site refer to how hard it is to get a job in Canada especially as a new immigrant. Is anyone else more than a little concerned as to whether they are doing the right thing?

Mark
UK
Old Mar 25th 2005, 10:30 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Just an encouraging note for all you cops hoping to go to Canada. My husband is a cop and last Friday attended the leaving do of a colleague - emigrating to Canada. I know the guy in question did have a long wait. Apparently the application included a lie detector test :scared: He's off to Calgary (I think) so don't know if that is just something they do over there. Anyway, he got there in the end!! He has our e-mail so if he gets in touch I will try and get some info from him that might be of use to you guys.

Good luck to you all,
Carolyn
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NAC
Just an encouraging note for all you cops hoping to go to Canada. My husband is a cop and last Friday attended the leaving do of a colleague - emigrating to Canada. I know the guy in question did have a long wait. Apparently the application included a lie detector test :scared: He's off to Calgary (I think) so don't know if that is just something they do over there. Anyway, he got there in the end!! He has our e-mail so if he gets in touch I will try and get some info from him that might be of use to you guys.

Good luck to you all,
Carolyn

Carolyn,

A lie detector test.............what kind of questions do you get asked, not that I would be worried!

Toronto Police didn't mentioned anythig about that!

Mark
Cheshire UK
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:20 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
Carolyn,

A lie detector test.............what kind of questions do you get asked, not that I would be worried!

Toronto Police didn't mentioned anythig about that!

Mark
Cheshire UK
Must just be a Calgary thing then!! I think they sort of confirm everything that is on your app form. I know the first time he sat it he failed because he was asked if he had ever had any convicitons ( or something like that!) and he said no but on his application form he had stated a speeding offence or something so it didn't match up. This delayed things for him because he had to go back over and re-sit the test but obviously everything was ok the second time. Now, I'm saying Calgary but the more I think about it, it is Vancouver he's gone to. don't know anything about Canadian forces but presume that it is a completely different one?? Anyway, if Toronto have never mentioned it then just presume they don't do it.
All the best
Carolyn
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

bobhope is on a distinguished road

I am currently undergoing application procedure to Edmonton Police in Alberta.
To join the police there you have to do the standard police exam 'apcat' which lasts for 3 years. Then the physical which lasts for a year.
Then you have to apply! The application consists of 93 personal disclosure questions and you have to have eyesight checked. Plus some other stuff thats all on their recruit web site. Once you have submitted it and depending on how far your immigration application has progressed you then do your testing. That is personal disclosure interview, behavioural interview, physc test, medical, polygraph, VO2 max test,interview on results of polygraph,background checks with 30 responsible adults who know you, spelling test and autobiography!!!!!!!!! I think thats it!

Its not really that bad, once you get into it. Give me an E mail if ya need any info!!
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:28 pm
Dazed & Confused

therobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud of

We applied in March 2005, but not holding my breath in relation to the application as it takes eons!!
I am cop in UK and will be hoping ton join the police in canada. Not sure wether I'll take the tests prior to this to have them "in the bank" so to speak, but It does seem a little daunting to start applying again! My philosophy is that policing is much of a muchness the world over... same baddies different geography. I'm not sure if any canadian force recognises what skills you have obtained in the uk..if anyone knows any different please let me know..

Wife is a district nurse in uk, so she will also have to get her ontario recognition when (if) we get there. her job does seem to be a career that is in high demand so i am forever hopeful that we will succeed!!

I do feel a bit hesitant at the fact that i will have no job to go to..has anyone considered getting into private investigation work while they wait to gain employment with the police?..good luck eveyone
Old Aug 27th 2005, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

GetCarter is an unknown quantity at this point

Just found the Police Forum after only ever reading the general Canada forum. Interested to read the posts as I am a PC, and emailed a Force out in Canada asking how my Service in the UK fits in with their application process. I realise Law etc will be different but like someone mentioned the crooks are the same the World over and hopefully experience counts for something. I was told by a recruiting Sgt that they wouldn't even entertain any application/correspondance etc until I had been accepted as a Landed Resident. I thought this would be the end of it, but from what is being said, I should be able to take the apcat etc before I even apply to emmigrate. After looking on the other forum it seems to be taking 2 -3 years for the process so wondered how that works then?
Old Dec 30th 2005, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Diane Jones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobhope
I am currently undergoing application procedure to Edmonton Police in Alberta.
To join the police there you have to do the standard police exam 'apcat' which lasts for 3 years. Then the physical which lasts for a year.
Then you have to apply! The application consists of 93 personal disclosure questions and you have to have eyesight checked. Plus some other stuff thats all on their recruit web site. Once you have submitted it and depending on how far your immigration application has progressed you then do your testing. That is personal disclosure interview, behavioural interview, physc test, medical, polygraph, VO2 max test,interview on results of polygraph,background checks with 30 responsible adults who know you, spelling test and autobiography!!!!!!!!! I think thats it!

Its not really that bad, once you get into it. Give me an E mail if ya need any info!!
How are you getting on with your application to Edmonton Police. I am thinking of applying myself and would be grateful of any info re the process etc. I am currently a DC in the UK. Any help or info would be gratefully received. Diane.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 11:34 pm
Dazed & Confused

therobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Diane Jones
How are you getting on with your application to Edmonton Police. I am thinking of applying myself and would be grateful of any info re the process etc. I am currently a DC in the UK. Any help or info would be gratefully received. Diane.
Diane, look at http://www.applicanttesting.com/index.htm
This site is a testing centre that you can apply to prior to an application. they do all the testing and when complete you submit the results with your preferred force application form. You have to complete the physical test last as this only lasts 3 months.

they also list the forces recruiting at this time. a friend of mine has just completed the testing for Alberta as they were recruiting in the UK a few months back. I'm not sure if this speeds up your PR, but I guess if you have work offer then it will speed up times.

if you apply without this test i would say be prepaired to wait 3 years like the rest of us!!! My wife is our main applicant as she is a nurse and the job prospects are great for her. we are applying for work permits soon so we can get some canadian work experience. I really don't want to join the police as a first choice, but if I need to i will take the above tests while I'm out there on a work permit. We applied for PR in March 2005 and were told the waiting time was 2 years...good luck

Mark
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Jayzee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Diane Jones
Hi Diane (and everyone else for that matter)!

I am new to the boards, but have some pretty good insights to offer for the recruiting process for Edmonton because I am...ta daa!..the first British Bobby to go through on the PNP scheme! For those of you who attended any of the information sessions that Edmonton Police did in London and Birmingham - that was me

Currently I have a start date in August and I have received my Alberta Employment status - all we need now is our VISA which apparently is being processed as I type.

If anyone needs any assistance, advice about the application, the time-frame or indeed anything else then let me know and I'll try to help because it is very confusing at times. That said Edmonton is gorgeous and it is all worth the effort!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Canada Police

Hello Jayzee, I am number two PNP guniea pig also starting EPS August! Pleased to meet you. when did you go over to Edmonton to test, was it AUGUST 2005?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Ratty is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys,
Only trouble with the PnP process is that it doesn't appear to be as quick as we had hoped.

A mate of mine has been over in December and completed his interviews and assessments. He is being quoted a Feb 07 start date.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the EPS' fault rather than the Immigration people. When you see peeps going out to Oz and NZ in a max of 6 months it does appear a bit lengthy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.