Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Calgary Police! - are you colour blind?

Calgary Police! - are you colour blind?

Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

StuartH1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Calgary Police! - are you colour blind?

Having applied to Calgary Police and been intially accepted, I've recently found out that I'm colour blind.
Which is weird as I'm serving in the Met and as far as I can tell I wasnt tested as a recruit.

Calgary have since told me that its curtains, unless I can pass a "farnsworth" test - which I'm clearly not going to!

From anyone's research, is this a nationwide policy in Canada, or is there anywhere that doesnt have this stipulation? I've noted that some Oz forces do and others dont. NZ doesnt mention it.

It does look though that our plans for Canada are numbered - unless I change careers (again!)

happy days!

stuart
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Calgary Police! - are you colour blind?

Hi

I too am colour blind and will be taking the Farnsworth test but im told a high percentage of colourblind people will pass the Farnsworth.

From what i understand the test is lining up a series of coloured cubes in colour order.

Have you booked your test?

Ashley

This link is to an online version of the test - http://www.univie.ac.at/Vergl-Physio...rtestF-en.html

Last edited by Ashleyg; Jan 15th 2008 at 11:27 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

source is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby had to pass a colour blindness test here in the UK before he could join (maybe it is a new thing as he is only 4 years in...)

He is nightshift at the moment! He is so I can't ask him if it had a name but I know it is one the Fire Brigade also have to pass... (the coloured cubes seem to ring a bell...)

Would be interested to hear anyone else's experiences with this...
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:05 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by StuartH1
Having applied to Calgary Police and been intially accepted, I've recently found out that I'm colour blind.
Which is weird as I'm serving in the Met and as far as I can tell I wasnt tested as a recruit.

Calgary have since told me that its curtains, unless I can pass a "farnsworth" test - which I'm clearly not going to!

From anyone's research, is this a nationwide policy in Canada, or is there anywhere that doesnt have this stipulation? I've noted that some Oz forces do and others dont. NZ doesnt mention it.

It does look though that our plans for Canada are numbered - unless I change careers (again!)

happy days!

stuart
I remember doing the colour blind test at primary school, secondary school and in 1987 when I joined the MET.

Have you never been tested before

I seem to remember most police forces ask for the test as you may give people tickets for going through a red light when it is green or something like that.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by source
My hubby had to pass a colour blindness test here in the UK before he could join (maybe it is a new thing as he is only 4 years in...)

He is nightshift at the moment! He is so I can't ask him if it had a name but I know it is one the Fire Brigade also have to pass... (the coloured cubes seem to ring a bell...)

Would be interested to hear anyone else's experiences with this...
I joined in the UK in 2005 and didn't have to do a colourblindness test as far as I can remember... Unless it was part of the eye test... In which case I may have !
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Andthen
I joined in the UK in 2005 and didn't have to do a colourblindness test as far as I can remember... Unless it was part of the eye test... In which case I may have !
P.S. I don't *think* the OPP did one on me... But I could be wrong, clearly I have a lack of observational skills!