Calgary Police

Old Mar 18th 2007, 11:36 am
Benjy

benjy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary Police

Hi everyone...Just joined this site, so read much of what you've all been chatting about with interest. I've completed all my recruit stages with CPS and my file is being presented this Monday (20th March) so hopefully should get a job offer very soon. Can anyone whos at this stage tell me how long the average PNP is taking with Calgary? and from this stage when I would expect to start class. I have 11 years service with North Yorks Police.

We were out in Calgary in Feb and set our hearts on living in Bragg Creek area, any one got any views?? travel to work etc.

Look forward to any advice.

Julian
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:40 pm
Calgary Police

Tickets is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on which district you get posted to, Bragg Creek wouldn't take you any longer (and maybe less time) than driving across the city. It's a beautiful area - if you can find a place you can afford, you'd be lucky to get out there and you'd be away from the city.

Tickets
Old Mar 19th 2007, 4:53 pm
Benjy

benjy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, Thanks for the quick reply. Are you with the CPS and an ex-brit? Getting mixed time scales on the PNP process, any ideas how long it takes? Hoping to be out in Oct 07, sound possible??

Cheers

J
Old Mar 19th 2007, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I'm embarrassed now ! Possibly sounded like there was bragging? I just assumed that all new officers started on the same wage (a set wage for 5th or 1st or whichever one it is!) - and I'm guessing now that there is some discretion on the starting salary within a set level? I simply meant to clarify the newspaper article.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew / Tickets - thanks for the good wishes. However, I shall pass them on to my hubby who is the successful candidate here ! He starts 16th July. I simply feel it's been such a long haul, that I feel like I have done all the tests too !!!! (no chance with the PARE )
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:31 pm
Calgary Police

Benjy - I work for CPS but I'm a civilian employee and I'm not an ex-Brit. Lots of my relatives are from there but unfortunately I've never been. I'm not sure about the time lines - people here on the forum can give you a better idea. I thought it was going fairly quickly but after reading the posts here, it sounds not quite so fast. Lots of paper work, I guess, and the government never works fast because it doesn't have to.

ann m - One of the things Calgary had to do to secure trained police personnel was to offer the higher wage, the thinking being they've already done their training and should be ready to go in a much shorter period of time, so the wage of a 1st Class Constable is offered instead of the lower Class 5.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi - yep, we knew about the higher wage level (which is how we could seriously consider such a move) - but I just got my 5th's and 1st's muddled up !! Couldn't remember which way round it goes ! I guess I just assumed that for each level, there was a set wage - not that it could vary within each level which is what I gather from people's comments, has happened.
Clear as mud? Good !
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

JesseK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benjy
Hi everyone...Just joined this site, so read much of what you've all been chatting about with interest. I've completed all my recruit stages with CPS and my file is being presented this Monday (20th March) so hopefully should get a job offer very soon. Can anyone whos at this stage tell me how long the average PNP is taking with Calgary? and from this stage when I would expect to start class. I have 11 years service with North Yorks Police.

We were out in Calgary in Feb and set our hearts on living in Bragg Creek area, any one got any views?? travel to work etc.

Look forward to any advice.

Julian
Hi benjy (Julian) - Not sure if you've heard yet, there is a recruit class starting mid April and the next is not til the start of June. I'm no expert, having just started the Background check stage myself, but I'd be willing to bet if you went to Selections on Monday, there is a good chance you'd make the April class. I was hopeful that I would as well, but I've heard the Background checks can take awhile. Good luck! For the record I'm not a Brit, or an ex-Brit, but I keep meeting dozens of you in the recruiting process and I'm absolutely stunned by how up-beat you've all been, considering you're doing in a week or two weeks what I've been doing spaced over two months! Good on you!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi JesseK - welcome to BE

I'm sure benjy and lots of others would love to start in April - but unfortunately the process is WAY slower for those coming from the UK. Most are applying through the Provincial Nominee Programme - so even when they get the "yes, would you like a job" phonecall, it seems to take at least another 6-8 months - those getting the acceptance about now are probably looking at Oct/Nov/Dec intakes ...

And reason we're all so upbeat is that a) we're de-mob happy to have escaped the UK, even temporarily, to cram all the tests into as short a time as physically possible; and b) we're all mad
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:01 pm
Calgary Police

Didn't anyone tell you during your application process that madness is a necessity for CPS? The madder the better.

Tickets
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

wazza40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Just found this forum. I am going out to Calgary In April for my interview and the like. I am preparing like mad at the moment. Is there anyone out there who can give me any advice or pointers as to what to expect.

Wazza40
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:02 pm
thesloman

thesloman is an unknown quantity at this point

I have recently returned from Calgary having completed each test. Below is just advice based on my experiences.

The interview is very friendly and relaxed. They will introduce themselves and ask you to introduce yourself. This gets rid of a lot of nerves and then they begin to ask you questions on each competency shown within the website. They actually state which competency they are looking for before asking the question. This helps you to focus on you pre-prepared answers. They will then ask you to leave the interview room after asking all the questions and they call you back in about 5 mins after and tell your result.

The poly is horrible. No other way to describe it. 4 hrs of nervous tension. 100 questions..some on your PDF form and others that are not. It is a pychological battle that you cannot win!! You are only hooked up to the machine for 10 questions but they choose them after asking you the 100 questions. Aghhhh!!! I left that room white as a ghost and feeling very emotional. It's knocks the crap out of ya!!

The Psych is straightforward and asks hilarious questions like...do you love your mother? Do you feel blue? Have you ever wanted to be a member of the opposite sex??

The PARE is definately something you need to prepare for. I booked a second test with Red Deer College ($50) and it was worth every penny. I failed that one and when it came to doing the CPS one , I knew exactly what to expect and how to beat my previous time. The CPS PARE takes place 2 floors below ground level. It is dry and you need to have plenty of fluids! If you 're bringing a partner and/or kids, you can have them watching on the sidelines and that gives you a real boost!! When it comes down to the push/pull, technique is everything and sometimes slower you do it, the quicker and easier it is! You can book a Orientation Day ($25) with the CPS which goes through the techniques of each station. Very handy!!

Now that I'm back, I'm chomping at the bit because it has gone all quiet. It was so full on when I was in Calgary but now I have to wait! Background checks now and then the wait for the selection panel. Fingers crossed.

I hope this has helped those that are soon to get tested. Good luck and I sincerley hope that we can work together soon out in Calgary!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:11 am
Just Joined

h_mank351 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I have just had a phone call from CPS telling me im now at the background check stage after passing all the tests in Calgary. Anyone any idea how long this stage takes ?

Anyone know how many times a month the selection panel sits or the next date for them?

Fingers and toes crossed.

Good luck to everyone else going through this.

Mark
Old Mar 24th 2007, 2:57 pm
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about

From my experience which was September/October last year, my background checks took about 3/4 weeks. It seemed to take ages.

On my application I filled out the 10 references and they contacted 8 of them. Mostly the work ones. But out of those work ones they asked for other people that could provide a reference and went on to contact a few more. Thankfully it all went well.

From my mates who they contacted said that they were on the phone from anything around 40min-over an hour. So inform your references they will be in for a grilling.

Good luck let us know when you get a date.
Andrew
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:48 am
Just Joined

ricki1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Does anyone know how long the recruitment drive will last? I will not be able to submit an application until October 2007. Will this be too late?

Also I have noticed from reading around that a lot of applicants are already british police officers. I am in the Merchant Navy, almost 23 years old. Do I realisticly stand a chance against such stiff competition?

Cheers guys!

Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.