Big Decisions!

Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:08 am
Just Joined

MattR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Big Decisions!

Hello everyone!

My partner and I have finally made the decision to emmigrate. And the country of choice is canada. My partner is a Teacher so we are hoping her side of the move should be fairly straightforward. I have been serving as an RAF Policeman for the last nine years and have decided to jumpship and follow my dreams before I become institutionalised.

The dilemma I'm facing is how to go about changing my job. I'd consider myself to be a good candidate for the Canadian police force (Calgary is the area of choice by the way) but was considering joining the UK police and gaining some Civil police experience first as I gather it can take up to 4 years to actually get through the immigration process.

I'm basically looking for any advice, tips, hints on how to improve my chances and/or make things go smoothly!

Cheers,

Matt
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Decisions!

Hi Matt and welcome to BE.

Calgary Police offer something called the Provincial Nominee Programme. It is a faster way of getting over there, rather than waiting around 4 years if you were to apply for immigration via the Skilled Worker route. Most of the people that are using the PNP are, admittedly, current UK officers. But, to be honest, I don't see any reason why you might not qualify to use this system.

The timeline, realistically, is probably 12-18 months from initial application to 'arriving'. You would need to come over to Calgary at some point, after being invited, to do all the entrance tests (at your own cost).

I know it's a mind-boggling maze when you start to look into things like this - but do read the main Canadian immigration website - www.cic.gc.ca - and of course, look at the Calgary Police website. One of the guys handing UK police applications is Stuart O'Neil - very nice bloke albeit very busy - try to make contact via phone or email with him to discuss the possibility of qualifying for the PNP.

And finally, if you have not already found it, have a look at police dash forum dot com (can't write it out in full!) - there is tons of relevant info on there relating to Canada too.

And just for your info, if your partner wishes to teach in Alberta, that may not prove as easy. I know teachers find it hard to get their qualifications recognised, and often have to go 'backwards' and re-do certain chunks of their training to 'Canadianise' things. Each province is slightly different, but as you get to know this forum, try and do some searches, and trawl through the Canada and Canadian Immigrations sections, you will find lots of previous information about teaching in Canada.

Good luck to you both.