Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Applying to Calgary Police no police experience.

Applying to Calgary Police no police experience.

Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:57 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Applying to Calgary Police no police experience.

Hi All

My wife Allison is now considering applying to Calgary Police (maybe try pnp), even thou Al has never been a police officer here, although she was in the RAF for a few years. She currently works for women's aid has a honors degree in psychology and I think she would most likely look to get into domestic abuse side should she be successfull.

My question is whether it is worth it or not as she is not a UK constable would she even be considered?

Has anybody done this who is not currently on the force?

We have only looked at Ontario and this a bit of a curveball.

Thanks

Danny
Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying to Calgary Police no police experience.

Danny - Hi

Many before you have asked this question, but not one bugger has come back to report what happened !

I've said it before, but I can't see any reason why your wife could not try and apply using the PNP programme. Yes, they have limited places, but they only need to fill them with suitable candidates. And if Ali passes all the tests, then why not ? Contact the recruiting department and simply ask - THEN REPORT BACK ON YOUR FINDINGS (Try phoning but don't hold your breathe for a real person to pick up the phone initially, leave an ansaphone message and then follow it up with an email).

Hubby bumped into a guy on nights this week who is ex-Army and starting on the March course I believe. Didn't chat to him long enough however to find out which route he used to apply, unfortunately.

And ref Ali hoping to move towards a domestic violence route, bear in mind she will need to 'do time' - that could take 5 years or more ....

Best wishes
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:51 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ann m
Danny - Hi

Many before you have asked this question, but not one bugger has come back to report what happened !

I've said it before, but I can't see any reason why your wife could not try and apply using the PNP programme. Yes, they have limited places, but they only need to fill them with suitable candidates. And if Ali passes all the tests, then why not ? Contact the recruiting department and simply ask - THEN REPORT BACK ON YOUR FINDINGS (Try phoning but don't hold your breathe for a real person to pick up the phone initially, leave an ansaphone message and then follow it up with an email).

Hubby bumped into a guy on nights this week who is ex-Army and starting on the March course I believe. Didn't chat to him long enough however to find out which route he used to apply, unfortunately.

And ref Ali hoping to move towards a domestic violence route, bear in mind she will need to 'do time' - that could take 5 years or more ....

Best wishes
Hi Ann

Thanks for the reply much appreciated I will get her to give them bell see what they have to say.

Many Thanks

Danny
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
Hi Ann

Thanks for the reply much appreciated I will get her to give them bell see what they have to say.

Many Thanks

Danny

Then once you do contact me and i'll give her some good tips to get her through the pare test good luck
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lee-on-the-Solent, Hampshire, UK...soon a new life in Canada ;o)
amberdayz is on a distinguished road

No you can't, a friend of mine who is a special constable asked the question to the recruiting department [email protected]) and as it is at the moment ( who have the training, although it be shorter, powers etc as their reg counterparts ) they're just looking at recruiting regular police officers, so I would say by that comment you don't have much luck if any being a none pc in the CPS for the time being
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:26 pm
mclauchlan35

She has emailed them and we will see what they say It's not something that was considered before although she looked into the UK police prior to going to Uni.

We were at the emigrate show on saturday and it was somebody we were talking to there (currently a member of the CPS )who said she should apply.

Nothing ventured nothing gained
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

She has emailed them and we will see what they say It's not something that was considered before although she looked into the UK police prior to going to Uni.

We were at the emigrate show on saturday and it was somebody we were talking to there (currently a member of the CPS )who said she should apply.

Nothing ventured nothing gained
I would recommend she apply.....isnt there another person on the other blog who applied without experience.....and has been invited out for testing??? I'm sure there is!! Either way, she has nothing to lose so why not go for it.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Indeed go for it and all the best of luck
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

wallace29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Just to let you know that we are helping a number of people who have no previous policing experience who are going through different stages of the recruitment process with the CPS. They are all PNP.

Of course the CPS do like experienced candidates, but they will also look at each case on its own merit as they are also looking at life experience.

Take care and good luck.

Eddie and Julie Parry

Hi All

My wife Allison is now considering applying to Calgary Police (maybe try pnp), even thou Al has never been a police officer here, although she was in the RAF for a few years. She currently works for women's aid has a honors degree in psychology and I think she would most likely look to get into domestic abuse side should she be successfull.

My question is whether it is worth it or not as she is not a UK constable would she even be considered?

Has anybody done this who is not currently on the force?

We have only looked at Ontario and this a bit of a curveball.

Thanks

Danny
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:39 pm
mclauchlan35

Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

dorsetLad is an unknown quantity at this point

hello

currently in Calgary, I have passed every test so far, just the PARE on saturdey

I had no police experience, and it is not a problem (was in the army for 10 years). Alot of guys and girls joining CPS are from different parts of Canada, I have made friends with an ex-construction Guy in his late 40's from Nova scotia, who is applying, and doing well so far!!.

they will look at your wifes military background and age as an advantage, as alot of the guys and girls in recruiting are ex-armed forces.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ahh interesting, as this was not the information that recruiting gave my friend the other day will pass all this info on. Not forgettingto get him to register on this site too
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:46 pm
mclauchlan35

Originally Posted by ann m
Danny - Hi

Best wishes
Hi Ann

My findings are !!! Just as Eddie and dorset lad have said, we sent an email a couple of days ago and we had a reply today to say that no previous police experience is needed, although no doubt it helps it is not a pre requisite to have prior policing experience.

I think the best example is dorset lad.

Regards
Danny
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

wallace29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dorsetLad
hello

currently in Calgary, I have passed every test so far, just the PARE on saturdey

I had no police experience, and it is not a problem (was in the army for 10 years). Alot of guys and girls joining CPS are from different parts of Canada, I have made friends with an ex-construction Guy in his late 40's from Nova scotia, who is applying, and doing well so far!!.

they will look at your wifes military background and age as an advantage, as alot of the guys and girls in recruiting are ex-armed forces.
Well done! Good luck with the PARE on Saturday.

Take care
Julie and Ed
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ann

My findings are !!! ... to say that no previous police experience is needed,
Thank you

Now we can all dispense a definitive answer for anyone else that comes along and asks the same question.

Well - that is certainly an option Ali can look into now. Good luck - and keep us posted ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.