Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

For any expats looking to return to UK Policing

For any expats looking to return to UK Policing

Old Mar 29th 2012, 1:18 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default For any expats looking to return to UK Policing

Hi folks

Around the BE forums we see a lot of expats from all professions who decide to return to the UK for various reasons.
If anyone is intending to or thinking of returning to UK Policing I would strongly advise that you read up on the Windsor Report Part 2 before you make your final decision.

It contains some recommendations being put forward to the UK Govt in respect of Police pay and conditions. These recommendations are harsh and make for some unpalatable reading.
None of the recommendations have come into being yet and there will almost certainly be an Arbitration panel hearing should the Government show willing to implement these latest Windsor recommendations.

However Windsor Part 1 was heavily contested but still came into being, which now means, among other things, increased pension contributions from 11% to 12.25%, along with a 2 year pay freeze followed by 2 further years of pay increases capped at 1%.

Today local Police Federation branches have published and distributed summaries to members and are also now looking to ballot all members with regard to reinstating industrial actions rights, including the right to strike, for UK Police officers.

I will try and get a link from the Federation to post on here.

Dread - x
Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:29 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all
Default Re: For any expats looking to return to UK Policing

I hope you guys get the right to strike, for far too long the British government has been happy to use and abuse the police in times of need, for example the riots, the protests in London against banks etc, but then they stick the knife in your back once its all over. You get the police force you want and the crime you deserve, and if the police go on strike the government and Gaurdian readers will have made the bed, and then everyone will get to lie in it.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:49 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly never thought I would want to see another police strike, but having seen the recommendations in Windsor part 2, I completely agree with you.

Dread - x
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Beedhamrobert is an unknown quantity at this point

Definately time to leave. At this rate we may as well get a job in the supermarket and be a special at weekends and would earn more.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Beedhamrobert
Definately time to leave. At this rate we may as well get a job in the supermarket and be a special at weekends and would earn more.
At the rate things are going I reckon you are not too far from the mark there - especially now they have made Winsor the head of HMCI.
Now he will have the power to effectively dictate the way for policing, as well as dictate things like police pay and conditions.

However I certainly wouldn't work all week then become a Special - and give them free policing !!

Dread - x