Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

whats needed to work in oz

whats needed to work in oz

Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

chug1106 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default whats needed to work in oz

Hey. i know its been asked loads im sure, but im a plumber and gas fitter with a level 3 modern apprenticeship qualifications. I have my years working visa for oz. What will it take me to legally work in oz? Is there any tests i can do here to help me before i go etc.

thanks in advance

gav
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

dwilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats needed to work in oz

Hi Gav
I am in exactly the same position,I am going to perth in january and I have been dealing wth a company called vetassess.The first part of the process is to do an on line assessment then send it certified copies of your certificates.Im at the stage of the practical assessment now,but im hearing disshartening things at the moment about the vetassess assessments.People are saying that they dont count for anything out there,this is concerning as the hole thing is around 1400 quid.Im in two minds whether to take the practical test as its 957 quid.Im also hearing that you need to spend a year working under the supervision of an liceced plumber which means being an aprentice again,which also sounds like a complete nightmare.
thanks
Dave
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

i did vettases as part of permamant migration in 08, if your only here on a one year visa dont bother, bring your english quals and go to the plumbing licence office in whichever city you land in, show em your quals and see what they give you, in qld you will get next to bugger all as its the most anal place on earth for licences, ive heard in wa you get a prov licence, this will allow you to work ok, do the white card (construction safety) online before arrival, cost about 60-90 buks, this will allow you to get on a building site, also letting you do labouring jobs ect. its changing very quickly here licence wise, in qld now you will only get a restricted licence and will have to do a cert 3 to get a prov licence, then a cert 4 to get a open licence, all up about 7-9 grand i rekon. its not nice really but thats the reality of it. any questions fire ahead. good luck.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

I think that its all arse about face there, they say they are crying out for plumbers and yet they wont let you do your job when you get there.John is this the same if you are working on the mines and if you work as a plumber on a prov licence does it earn you enough to get by i.e make ends meet.
Cheers Dave
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dwilson
I think that its all arse about face there, they say they are crying out for plumbers and yet they wont let you do your job when you get there.John is this the same if you are working on the mines and if you work as a plumber on a prov licence does it earn you enough to get by i.e make ends meet.
Cheers Dave
as a prov plumber the only restriction is you cant work selfemployed, ie run a buisness, i always earnt the same as open licenced plumbers, apart from when i first started as a fresh of the boat plumber, it was only 2 bucks less, i have always made ends meet with no probs, one of the things i realised here was the licencing rules do away with all the chancers, in the uk joe bloggs can buy a van and call himself a plumber, here its licenced and regulated, its not easy to do unlicensed work, plus i honestly think financially im way better of here, i used to have a joke with a mate here, basiclly it was every week after paying all bills and stuff i still had enough money to buy a new tv each week, point im getting at is here i have spare cash, in the uk i had to bust my arse to make ends meet and save nothing. as for the mines i wouldnt bank on getting in them, you need to concentrate on getting a job as a plumber, sorting your licence and learning the aus way. it is different here and takes some getting used to.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Hi John Thanks for the advice can I also ask you ,can i get registered with the licencing people before i come out to australia and Im thinking of shipping my tools over is this recommended or do most firms supply them.
Thanks for the help
Dave
Old Oct 26th 2012, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi John Thanks for the advice can I also ask you ,can i get registered with the licencing people before i come out to australia and Im thinking of shipping my tools over is this recommended or do most firms supply them.
Thanks for the help
Dave
ship the lot apart from 110v and benders and pipe slices, tools cost a bomb here, you wont get much joy prior to arriving with the plumbing licence,
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks John,
really good advice I just need a job to go too now lol
Thanks
Dave
Old Nov 8th 2012, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi John sorry to bother you again,can I ask you is there any peticular tools I should buy here that will come in really handy over there.A couple of people told me a flaring kit might be usefull if I do any AC installations,can I ask you is all the pipe work in imperial measurements and is the voltage 230v on sites and in domestic properties i.e for drills and so on.
Cheers for the help Dave
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi John sorry to bother you again,can I ask you is there any peticular tools I should buy here that will come in really handy over there.A couple of people told me a flaring kit might be usefull if I do any AC installations,can I ask you is all the pipe work in imperial measurements and is the voltage 230v on sites and in domestic properties i.e for drills and so on.
Cheers for the help Dave
you will need a expander set, i use rothenburger ones, its 230-240 v everywhere, pipesizes are old here so your benders and slices wont work, id bring all tools i could get my hands on, you will use them at some point.
john