Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

plumber`s story 3 years and waiting

plumber`s story 3 years and waiting

Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:49 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: plumber`s story 3 years and waiting

Originally Posted by kevpam
CATCH I have seen you have been on a few diffrent discussion and you always seam to be negitive .WHY????????????????
not negative or positive ,just try to be truthfull.As regards to gasfitters being on a critical list seems very strange.Being plumbing here since 2006 had ups and downs.Dont cast me as Negative as i have helped many plumbers on here via PM's.If you want to believe the stuff immigration agents tell you ok,i wont bother making a comment,as well informed people like you know better.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KateandPhil
Sounds like heaven! I've already got the surfing bug plus diving and fishing bug and none of them are too great in Rotherham lol.
Travelled Oz for a year in 2000 so know where you are coming from. Work to live not live to work!
Someone else has said on BE that we can claim from centre link the moment we arrive is that right?
i think if you have a passion for the outdoors and playing in the ocean work can defiantly wait , got my padi but not done any diving for years and just started with the fishing but lived in cornwall for 3 years so got the basics of surfing out of the way, good job as the waves pack more of a punch than those of cayton bay , so had to ditch the mal and get to grips with a short board.
you can claim family tax credit straight away but not other benefits until you have been resident 2 years .
treat the first 2 years like a holiday its hard enough moving to the other side of the world but add the pressure of wanting your dream home with pool and ocean views , running your own plumbing business and brand new duel cab straight away is going to make you hate the place...because even if you come with shit loads of money its not going to happen...not in the plumbing game anyhow.
nah my advice is rent somewhere cheap as close to the beach as you can and enjoy the lifestyle.
you will get the dream home eventually, you will have the dream lifestyle as soon as you get off the plane
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Catch
not negative or positive ,just try to be truthfull.As regards to gasfitters being on a critical list seems very strange.Being plumbing here since 2006 had ups and downs.Dont cast me as Negative as i have helped many plumbers on here via PM's.If you want to believe the stuff immigration agents tell you ok,i wont bother making a comment,as well informed people like you know better.
Well said - I totally agree - Catch does offer help and advice and also the truth, which is what we all want to hear anyway right?
Btw how are you mate? We've been in Perth now for 6 weeks - just done my gasIII ticket here and am looking for work!! Bugger all about it seems which is a right pain...Got any inside info?!
Cheers
Dan
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:19 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber
Well said - I totally agree - Catch does offer help and advice and also the truth, which is what we all want to hear anyway right?
Btw how are you mate? We've been in Perth now for 6 weeks - just done my gasIII ticket here and am looking for work!! Bugger all about it seems which is a right pain...Got any inside info?!
Cheers
Dan
sent you a pm dan
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

KateandPhil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catch
Gas fitter on "critical" skills list.That sounds a bit dodgy
Why do you think it sounds dodgy?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oz miller man
i think if you have a passion for the outdoors and playing in the ocean work can defiantly wait , got my padi but not done any diving for years and just started with the fishing but lived in cornwall for 3 years so got the basics of surfing out of the way, good job as the waves pack more of a punch than those of cayton bay , so had to ditch the mal and get to grips with a short board.
you can claim family tax credit straight away but not other benefits until you have been resident 2 years .
treat the first 2 years like a holiday its hard enough moving to the other side of the world but add the pressure of wanting your dream home with pool and ocean views , running your own plumbing business and brand new duel cab straight away is going to make you hate the place...because even if you come with shit loads of money its not going to happen...not in the plumbing game anyhow.
nah my advice is rent somewhere cheap as close to the beach as you can and enjoy the lifestyle.
you will get the dream home eventually, you will have the dream lifestyle as soon as you get off the plane
I think i will take your advice, so on that note get the tinny ready I've got the diving covered(well rescue diver anyway).And if you can get me a job bonus lol. Being doing my acops today and my lpg is booked in for next week so all going well. Cheers for the advice no doubt will be back for more in the mean time keep the beer on ice lol! Phil
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KateandPhil
I think i will take your advice, so on that note get the tinny ready I've got the diving covered(well rescue diver anyway).And if you can get me a job bonus lol. Being doing my acops today and my lpg is booked in for next week so all going well. Cheers for the advice no doubt will be back for more in the mean time keep the beer on ice lol! Phil
tinny`s ready and the creeks full of bream/whiting n mullet.
esky full of ice, shame theres no stonses or john smiths in it.

dont know if you have heard the news from over here plumbing, gasfitting and other building trades are to be taken off the skills in demand list......
dont think it will effect those with applications already in...but the door will be closing for plumbers soon

on a positive note theres been a nice 3ft wave at my local all week
Old May 31st 2009, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

DazBevo is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Dan
where did you do your Gas 3 ticket ??
Daz B
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DazBevo
hi Dan
where did you do your Gas 3 ticket ??
Daz B
Hi Daz have Pm'd you too - did gas at Fremantle Tafe though I don't recommend it there they didn't seem to know what was going on!
Speak soon
Dan
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber
Hi Daz have Pm'd you too - did gas at Fremantle Tafe though I don't recommend it there they didn't seem to know what was going on!
Speak soon
Dan
Hi Dan.
Hope things are going well for you have you settled ok?
Have you found work yet? We are still waiting for our visas. Gas fitters still on the critical list although plumbers have been taken off. Has work started to pick up at all?
Thanks Phil
Old Jul 29th 2009, 12:20 am
Just Joined

somersetaussi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oz miller man
not worked for the last year mate . had the little boy to look after until a day care place comes up and its taken almost that long to get my licences sorted .but because we have been here 2 years we get rent assistance and parenting allowance from center link on top of my partners wage ,enough to get by on so ive been in no rush to take any old job on .
just appreciating the lifestyle and spending time on the beach with my lad was working 60hrs plus a week in the uk just to survive so missed out on a lot.
luckily the mrs enjoys her job and only does 3 days so we now have lots of time off together
also got the surfing bug so trying to master the art of riding waves..

you will find it a lot more laid back out here mate...takes a bit of getting used to at first .
Hi Miller,
reading your story is like a mirror image of ours...
I am Aussi, but spent 15 yrs in UK. we traveled aus 10 yrs ago and fell preg in Byron Bay.. (our 9 yr old is called Byron)
My Hubby is a british City and Guilds, Corgi reg plumber with 20 yrs experience...

We have been here in aus now for 2 months.. down in Coffs. Can't get hold of bloody laid back TAFE to find out what this Australian Knowledge Gap training
is... Now looks like it's going to be 2 yrs at TAFE to get full licence!!

HOW can they advertise Plumbing on the skills in demand then not allow the plumbers that make it through to work????

why is there no Australia wide gap training course for Plumbers and sparkies who have had there skills assessed??

the Aussi plumbing is a peace of piss anyway!!!! not like they got central heating to deal with..

Looks like it's life on the dole for Nic... Can't believe they would rather pay the Dole than give a licence!!!

I wish someone had the full pathway to offer plumbers!! from applying in the UK to being fully licensed!! NOONE has this info!! no matter how many ph calls I make!!

No one wants a plumber with no license!! there is no work!!

OH went self employed 4 months before we left the UK.. sods law.. it was the first time he has earnt any decent money!! and by the look of it the last time for a while!!!

sorry to be so down but it is so frustrating and nobody gives you the truth!!!!
It was great to read ur post.. Nic was getting really low, now he's said well I'm not alone at least!!! what a gov cock up!!!
have they just forgotten to sort plumbers out???

anyway cheers for now
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by somersetaussi
Hi Miller,
reading your story is like a mirror image of ours...
I am Aussi, but spent 15 yrs in UK. we traveled aus 10 yrs ago and fell preg in Byron Bay.. (our 9 yr old is called Byron)
My Hubby is a british City and Guilds, Corgi reg plumber with 20 yrs experience...

We have been here in aus now for 2 months.. down in Coffs. Can't get hold of bloody laid back TAFE to find out what this Australian Knowledge Gap training
is... Now looks like it's going to be 2 yrs at TAFE to get full licence!!

HOW can they advertise Plumbing on the skills in demand then not allow the plumbers that make it through to work????

why is there no Australia wide gap training course for Plumbers and sparkies who have had there skills assessed??

the Aussi plumbing is a peace of piss anyway!!!! not like they got central heating to deal with..

Looks like it's life on the dole for Nic... Can't believe they would rather pay the Dole than give a licence!!!

I wish someone had the full pathway to offer plumbers!! from applying in the UK to being fully licensed!! NOONE has this info!! no matter how many ph calls I make!!

No one wants a plumber with no license!! there is no work!!

OH went self employed 4 months before we left the UK.. sods law.. it was the first time he has earnt any decent money!! and by the look of it the last time for a while!!!

sorry to be so down but it is so frustrating and nobody gives you the truth!!!!
It was great to read ur post.. Nic was getting really low, now he's said well I'm not alone at least!!! what a gov cock up!!!
have they just forgotten to sort plumbers out???

anyway cheers for now
where are you in oz
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:36 am
Just Joined

somersetaussi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ronnie98
where are you in oz
We are in Coffs Harbour in NSW. But have looked into things in Queensland and Vic as well...
The situation is not great here....
Unless you have a job to come to or are entitled to benefits here be prepared to live off your savings for a long time...

The provisional license that Vetassess give you is ok if you are lucky enough to find a job..
But all the jobs advertised nationwide want full license...

well lets hope the tide turns soon...
the fish are not even biting at the moment!!!
OH reckons it's a conspiracy!!!lol

On the plus the kids are loving school!!
not that little one can go to pre school at the moment..
no full gov funding here like in the UK... NSW pre school system is also very odd they have to go all day (and it is expensive especially when you are not working!!!!).... different to the rest of Aus, which is much more like UK 'sessions'.

Kids hols were great as leisure time was great! great bike rides, parks, BBQ's, pools and trips to the beach.. just what we were after!!

Just shame about the license issues!!! It brings moral down!! when you have been working your whole adult life 50-60 hrs a week, it is a gutter!!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

hi somerset.. nic
it is frustrating mate and your right about the nsw tafe not knowing whats going on, luckily i could go over the border into queensland and get my prov licences sorted and in queensland you can get on the full licence course, you still need 12 months work experience to gain the full licence and like you ive had no joy getting anyone to set me on with only a provisional.
ive applied for every job thats come up over the last six months (within 1hour travel) not even a reply from most and the ones that did reply want full licenced subbies.
only option for us would be to relocate to be near a big city...but were quite happy here in north nsw so ive decided to turn my back on the plumbing game and im going to uni to retrain....following in my partners footsteps im going to do my degree in nursing as theres no shortage of work, in any area and it pays better than a trade....going to be hard for the next 3 years but i cant stop on the dole forever..lol...be worth it in the end
i know of a sparky whos in the same boat and hes joining the police..
absolute crazy init.....they want quality tradesmen to relocate to the otherside of the world...then make it so hard for them to practice there trade once here
....conspiracy...you might be on to something..lol..
..stuff em.....the mrs on the otherhand can pick or choose when or where she works as her uk skills and experience are highly regarded.
i know a carear change isnt for everyone and not something i would have done unless in this predicament...but in the end i dont want to live back in sydney or go to brissy, the small semi rural coastal towns of nsw are where we would love to settle in australia ...just need the right skills/job.....

wish you the best in whatever you do...for me the tools are going in the creek...lol
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:10 am
Just Joined

007 kelvin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Just moved to oz and guess what i'm a plumber/heating engineer lucky
me!!!!!!!!!!! I have read all your posts and i thank you for the info it looks like im in for a long ride. I also live in NSW in a town called Ballina very quite no work around at the mo. Im of to Brisbane on thursday as they are holding a seminar for gas engineers from the uk they say that if i bring all my certs on that day they will apply for the gas licence for me. Just have to wait and see.

I am just in the process of sending off my application for a plumbing licence in brisbane due to your info, but will that mean i will have to work in bris for a year to get the full licence. I suppose if that is the case its better that 2 years in nsw.

Thanks again look forward to hearing from you.

kelvin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.