Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

How long to get licensed in oz?

How long to get licensed in oz?

Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough
Default How long to get licensed in oz?

Hi

I know this has been done to death but just want to make sure Im clear on a couple of things so bear with me.
My husband is a plumber he has both wet plumbing and gas experience and qualifications gained over here in the uk. Over here we have our own business but it is becoming so stressful to make ends meet and in terms of hours worked etc. We are considering him looking for employed work but there really are no jobs here currently.
As my husband has an australian passport we have started to think about wether it would be possible to look at aus again as an alternative. We know jobs over there are scarcer than they were but when I look on seek.com.au there still seems to at least be 'some' work and at reasonable rates of pay?

So my questions are - I know (white card?) can be done online from uk, but how long then to become licenced? Do employers take plumbers on provisional licence initially?

As hubby is gas qualified he can get this licence preety much straight away? Or have I got that bit wrong.

The licence that really takes the longest length of time is one that allows you to become self employed? (not sure we want to go this route again anyway).

Is there much if any work?

what are the rates of pay?

Any good experiences would be gratefully recieved!

Thanks
mandoz

Last edited by mandoz; Jan 14th 2012 at 10:22 am.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How long to get licensed in oz?

Anyone?

Im hoping you are all too busy working
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: How long to get licensed in oz?

Originally Posted by mandoz
Hi

I know this has been done to death but just want to make sure Im clear on a couple of things so bear with me.
My husband is a plumber he has both wet plumbing and gas experience and qualifications gained over here in the uk. Over here we have our own business but it is becoming so stressful to make ends meet and in terms of hours worked etc. We are considering him looking for employed work but there really are no jobs here currently.
As my husband has an australian passport we have started to think about wether it would be possible to look at aus again as an alternative. We know jobs over there are scarcer than they were but when I look on seek.com.au there still seems to at least be 'some' work and at reasonable rates of pay?

So my questions are - I know (white card?) can be done online from uk, but how long then to become licenced? Do employers take plumbers on provisional licence initially? once you have a provisional licence a full one can be obtained as quick as you are prepared to spend at college ie how many days ,how much you want to spend, yes employers take you on a provisional, the only restriction of a prov licence is you cant work self emloyed.
As hubby is gas qualified he can get this licence preety much straight away? Or have I got that bit wrong. in qld the rules have changed aagain, you have to do a college course to obtain a gas licence ,although i believe some can be rpl at college to make the course smaller.

The licence that really takes the longest length of time is one that allows you to become self employed? (not sure we want to go this route again anyway).this is now a standard part of the cert 4 in plumbing ,the course is modules ie buisness, sanitation ect, you need this for a full licence

Is there much if any work? dependes where you live, the new build side of things is very quiet in qld, however maintinance work is b usy i believe
what are the rates of pay? this changes dependant on who you work for and where, myself i statrted on 25 bucks a hour and went to thirtyafter a few months, i have heard of folks on 15-20 because employers say that a prov licence is only like being a 4 year apprentice or a labourer, this is incorrect, as i said before you can stay on a prov licence for life, just means you cant work self emloyed.
Any good experiences would be gratefully recieved! a lot depends on how hard your willing to push yourself, if you want it you will get it, good luck, i hope i have helped.
Thanks
mandoz
good luck