Help!!!

Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Howden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!!!

Hi,
A few years back i looked into emigrating to australia, and having looked into it again recently realise things have changed quite alot.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a few things.
I know the process has recently changed regarding the MODL list etc.
I'm a plumber, and been working as one for 8 years, i have my ACS gas certificate, unvented hot water card, water regulations card, NVQ 2 modern apprentiship, NVQ 3 theory and practical certificates. I just wondered if anyone knew what the Vetessass assessments are like, and, how specific they are, or arent!
I'm just trying to get a feel to see how difficult they may be. I've got a few friends in Australia who are working in trades and they say that although plumbing is different out there, their is alot similar.
Also if anyone has been successful on the assessments, whats the best way to approach them, and is there any qualifications that can help, like L.P.G certificates, or air con and things like that.
I'm trying to prepare myself as best i can for when i decide to go ahead, which will hopefully be in the next 6 months.
I'm also looking at migration agents, does anyone recommend one, or know of any with good reputations i can maybe get in touch with.
Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all
Default Re: Help!!!

Originally Posted by Howden
Hi,
A few years back i looked into emigrating to australia, and having looked into it again recently realise things have changed quite alot.
I'm a plumber, and been working as one for 8 years, i have my ACS gas certificate, unvented hot water card, water regulations card, NVQ 2 modern apprentiship, NVQ 3 theory and practical certificates. I just wondered if anyone knew what the Vetessass assessments are like, and, how specific they are, or arent!
I'm just trying to get a feel to see how difficult they may be. I've got a few friends in Australia who are working in trades and they say that although plumbing is different out there, their is alot similar.
Also if anyone has been successful on the assessments, whats the best way to approach them, and is there any qualifications that can help, like L.P.G certificates, or air con and things like that.
I'm trying to prepare myself as best i can for when i decide to go ahead, which will hopefully be in the next 6 months.
I'm also looking at migration agents, does anyone recommend one, or know of any with good reputations i can maybe get in touch with.
Hi,
Sorry can't help you on the vetassess stuff, never needed to do that myself. I'm based in Perth so can only comment on here, but I would guess every where in Australia would be pretty much the same...
Do not bother gaining extra UK quals such as LPG (unless you intend on going back!) UK quals are basically not recognised here - you will have to do a migrant conversion course which is (I think) a week...Load of shite really just a money maker. Gas quals not recognised - again you need to do a gas course - 2 weeks which includes NG and LPG. Not too disimilar to UK (apart from some strange things!) - again more money in their pocket. Once you have done the migrants you will be issued with a tradespersons licence.Oh and yes you pay for the privilege...this will let you work for someone, or as a subbie but you can't go and work for yourself.
To do that you need to get a contactors licence...3 things, water service, sanitary and drainage.
Water service - basically hot and cold, thats it.
Sanitary - pretty obvious
Drainage - Foul water drainage, stormwater.
I have just completed water service along with 3 'business' elements they require before you even start the course...
Work wise - yes it is very different here - a lot slower way of plumbing I think...even backwards in some respects...Its all silver solder and brazing here using Oxy..
Things have definately been quiet but there is such a mining boom here that a lot of trades will head up North leaving Perth a bit starved of labour - so my gut feel is that things will get very busy...It seems that way here either boom or bust all the time....
If and when you get here I absolutely recommend either going with someone for free for 2 or 3 weeks to get a feel - I didn't and have really struggled in the past. Its not particularly hard - just different and slower! Better still try and land a job before you get here - be warned the Aussies arn't too crash hot on people without WA experience unless there is a mass shortage then every man and his dog will get a go...
Anyway hope that helps you out a little,
Cheers
Dan
Old Mar 5th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Help!!!

Originally Posted by Howden
Hi,
hi
im over in queensland and have found it a bit different, firstly the plumbing, you take your english quals to the plumber and drainers board, hand over about 150 bucks and get a provisional licence, this lets you work for someone on a supervised basis, to get the full licence its of to college for a night course, you have to do 8 units and it takes about 9 weeks per unit, you can do more than 1 unit at a time but 1 night a week is enough for me (250 -350 bucks per unit). the gas was easy i took my gas quals ie ccn1 ect into the dept of gas and sat a 4 hour semminar on aus gas and walked out with a gas licence, i found this to be a bit comical but thats the way here.
work here is ok i do new build work and we dont braze much at all, we use plastic pipe with brass fitting that are crimped on and have a viaga tool for copper, this is a battery operated tool that compresses copper fittings on.
a lot of solar and heat pumps and the drainage takes a bit of getting used to, plumbing is plumbing the world over but you just have to adapt to their ways, on the whole its all good .
john