Gas Fitter needs advice.

Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

lee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the rough
Default Gas Fitter needs advice.

Hi i have just received my Visa and am moving to Brisbane in August. I am looking for advice on getting a plumbers licence. I am a fully Qualified gas fitter with 11 years experience. I have lots of different qualifications in gas but non in plumbing although i have lots of experience. Will i be able to apply a plumbers licence without qualifications? alternatively is there a gas equivalent and is there plenty of gas work in Brisbane or is it mainly plumbing?

All advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks Lee
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gas Fitter needs advice.

Originally Posted by lee10ann
Hi i have just received my Visa and am moving to Brisbane in August. I am looking for advice on getting a plumbers licence. I am a fully Qualified gas fitter with 11 years experience. I have lots of different qualifications in gas but non in plumbing although i have lots of experience. Will i be able to apply a plumbers licence without qualifications? alternatively is there a gas equivalent and is there plenty of gas work in Brisbane or is it mainly plumbing?

Thanks Lee
Lee I had an Electrical Mechanical company in the UK, i was NICEIC and Corgi registered, I could not get a plumbers licence over here but was able to get a gas licence and my Electrical licence. We live In WA. There is work for gas service engineers. I am not sure of the process for Brisbane but contact the department of Energy when you arrive they should be able to assist.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

lee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Brigall
Lee I had an Electrical Mechanical company in the UK, i was NICEIC and Corgi registered, I could not get a plumbers licence over here but was able to get a gas licence and my Electrical licence. We live In WA. There is work for gas service engineers. I am not sure of the process for Brisbane but contact the department of Energy when you arrive they should be able to assist.

Best of luck.
thanks mate will do.

lee
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

leew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lee10ann

Thanks Lee
Sorry to tell you mate but unless youare prepared to do anothe apprentiship you won't be getting a plumbers or drainers licence , i am a uk plumber working here for over a year and have to do a course to get licence but best to chech with qld plumber board they will tell you what you require , and gas work in qld is not plentiful so i would do a bit of research first before you give up all , sory to sound negative but its how it is !!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leew1019
Sorry to tell you mate but unless youare prepared to do anothe apprentiship you won't be getting a plumbers or drainers licence , i am a uk plumber working here for over a year and have to do a course to get licence but best to chech with qld plumber board they will tell you what you require , and gas work in qld is not plentiful so i would do a bit of research first before you give up all , sory to sound negative but its how it is !!
If you have completed an apprenticship or have UK Qualifications in plumbing and arrive in WA you can apply through the Plumbers licence board who will tell you that you need to sit a 1 day hand skills test, bend pipe, brase pipe make joints and pressure test them. Pass this then you do a 5 day conversion course, learn Australian regulations for plumbers, pass this you get a plumbers licence.

You could then apply to Queensland plumbers board for a plumbers licence through the interstate recoginition of licences (Tradesmen Rights) similar as to that which other trades men do when moving from 1 state to another. Will be quicker than completing the Queensland course.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:30 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Brigall
If you have completed an apprenticship or have UK Qualifications in plumbing and arrive in WA you can apply through the Plumbers licence board who will tell you that you need to sit a 1 day hand skills test, bend pipe, brase pipe make joints and pressure test them. Pass this then you do a 5 day conversion course, learn Australian regulations for plumbers, pass this you get a plumbers licence.

You could then apply to Queensland plumbers board for a plumbers licence through the interstate recoginition of licences (Tradesmen Rights) similar as to that which other trades men do when moving from 1 state to another. Will be quicker than completing the Queensland course.
He says he has no plumbing though, only gas quals,
So IF he goes to Qld he will need to go to two seperate departments, for gas it's the dept of mines and resources, and for plumbing the plumbers and drainers board, (www.dlgp.qld.gov.au) where IF he can prove he has experience in plumbing they MAY grant him a provisional licence in which case he can work for a registered plumber and then completed the required modules at TAFE to gain a full licence. Gas fitter in Qld? there are some jobs about, and natural gas is starting to be fitted to most new estates, but you could come unstuck if all you can do is gas.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:14 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to correct you,but after the 1 weeks course in WA you only get a tradepersons licence,not a contractors licence.This is ok to work for an employer in WA but you cannot work for yourself.When you arrive in QLD this licence will only transfer to a provisional licence,which means you have to do the full licence over there.The WA gas licence will transfer over to a qld gas licence ,no problem.Sorry to dampen spirits but this is how it is
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for all your replies. i have got alot to think about
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Catch;6005340]sorry to correct you,but after the 1 weeks course in WA you only get a tradepersons licence,not a contractors licence.This is ok to work for an employer in WA but you cannot work for yourself.When you arrive in QLD this licence will only transfer to a provisional licence,which means you have to do the full licence over there.The WA gas licence will transfer over to a qld gas licence ,no problem.Sorry to dampen spirits but this is how it is[/QUO

Never mentioned he would get a contractors licence! Said a plumbers licence not a contractors licence! How ever he will be able to work self employed through a registered company.

I would check up on the transfer of licence from state to state otherwise every plumber who moves to another state would have to redo his apprenticship. Surely all you need to do is the regulations for each state?
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry mate didnt want to come across as a w**nker,feelin a bit pissed when i replied,I phoned the guys in QLD and they said my tradepersons licence issued in WA,will only get a provisional one so its back to TAFE,dont know if you can subbie on a provisional licence,if any one knows give us a bell
Old Mar 8th 2008, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Catch
sorry mate didnt want to come across as a w**nker,feelin a bit pissed when i replied,I phoned the guys in QLD and they said my tradepersons licence issued in WA,will only get a provisional one so its back to TAFE,dont know if you can subbie on a provisional licence,if any one knows give us a bell
Hope you find a way round it mate, it is sole destroying all these TAFE courses. Best of Luck.