Work in Manila

Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:46 am
Just Joined

SeanExile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work in Manila

My wife has just been offered a very attractive package in Manila. Salary just north of 12 million pesos annually plus several perks. All looks good, its the same company she has been with for ten years and international schools, insurances etc is all included in the expat package.
A very attractive offer with good remuneration.

However thats great for my wife (she isnt filippina) but not me...
Manila is not Singapore, Brunei, Auckland or Abu Dhabi where we previously have been staying.
Her salary allows us to live our life on one income, but what man would like that type of life? dependent on a wife. Being a househusband isnt for me, there are some pride left.
So Id thought Id try to do some research and understand my own reality if I go to Manila and after reading this and other forums thats one grim picture.

Having worked corporate, project managing strategic IHRM inititives in mnc:s and overseen international expansion for quite a number of years, I cant sit down doing nothing. First Id end up with a mistress after a month and second id be unbearable at home.
But to keep sanity/dignity a man needs a job and some self sustainability.

Since I knew eventually wed end up in a location where no corporate scene of size is found for me I have been preparing for such an event. or at least started to. I did lecturing at western universities in NZ, Singapore and Brunei. Even started a Ph.d part time plus got the tertiary teaching degree done. Add a handful of publications in low impact journals.
Anyone know if that's possible to work in academia at a university in Manila for a westerner?
And what the salary is?
And if they accept you when you still haven't completed your ph.d.
if its contract jobs or more permanent positions?

or if anyone have any connections within business project management let me know.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work in Manila

"First Id end up with a mistress after a month"

I guess that's one way to while away the hours, as long as the wife is ok with it.

Academia sounds like a possibe way ahead. They would need to sort out your work permit though.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Tracyarciaga is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sean

I have a few connections in the BPO industry - let me know if u are interested
Old Apr 12th 2014, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

worldtravellerph is an unknown quantity at this point

12m + and a full package, what job offers that in Manila? I don't see that in the Middle East.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Gus Honeybun is an unknown quantity at this point

For USD 270k pa, put pride to one side. Join a golf club, try the Manila Yacht club, scuba, i.e., network at a level that's likely to produce a viable employment result.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

SeanExile is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies and an even bigger thank you to the private messenger who set up the phone interview with a very reputable private uni. Sometimes messageboards like these are a wealth of information and filled with awesome people.
big thanks.
With work and beer money taken care of, I guess that means I'm Manila bound.

Gazza - and therein lies the problem. To many western men on meager salaries trying to support sexy but poor pinay gf:s already.

worldtravellerph - when the last post was Singapore thats not a super salary. Plenty of expats (real ones on packages) earning more than 30.000 a month in Singapore...
And in our case its a decent increase. Obviously within the petrochemichal industries. For the same positions in certain middle eastern locations salaries of similar or higher numbers are offered.
Unfortunately its not for me though...
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

worldtravellerph is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed I have seen packages of USD 500K in the offshore oil sector.

How do you define a 'real' ex-pat? There are plenty who live and work overseas in countries a lot less attractive than SG and do so without the perks many of them are from the Philippines.

A word of advice from someone who lives in the Philippines, learn the concept of 'simple' before you come here.