Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Will i qualify for a UK pension?

Will i qualify for a UK pension?

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

swazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of light
Default Will i qualify for a UK pension?

I will be 65 this year, i`ve only ever worked in the UK a total of 12 years, and foolishly never paid contributions to my stamp. I guess i just got wrapped up in the travelling, and didn`t expect to live this long?
I do ok out of a business here in the Philippines, but am wondering if i would be entitled to any UK OAP with my limited contributions, any info would be helpful.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will i qualify for a UK pension?

Originally Posted by swazza
I will be 65 this year, i`ve only ever worked in the UK a total of 12 years, and foolishly never paid contributions to my stamp. I guess i just got wrapped up in the travelling, and didn`t expect to live this long?
I do ok out of a business here in the Philippines, but am wondering if i would be entitled to any UK OAP with my limited contributions, any info would be helpful.
I am in the same situation for UK pension, luckily I have a generous Norwegian pension. There is a web site where you can calculate your pension. I did mine a while ago and for 11 years contribution I get just under £35 a week. You should write to NI in Newcastle and tell them your bank account number.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

swazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Stokkevn i will do some digging, if nothing else it will keep me occupied!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Write to Pensions people in Newcastle. You need your Nat Ins Number. Let your folly be a lesson to others/ Full pension is around £110 a week.

In mamy circumstances payment can be made for missed contributions.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Write to Pensions people in Newcastle. You need your Nat Ins Number. Let your folly be a lesson to others/ Full pension is around £110 a week.

In mamy circumstances payment can be made for missed contributions.
Yes it was pretty dumb, i own a couple of ventures that give us a nice income, but a fat pension would have been better, 20/20 hind sight? This will give me a project over the next few months, it could pay my daughters school fees and allowances, thanks for the advice and mild slap on the wrist.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I usually administer more extreme punishment - for a fee !

Your homework is here -

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/basics.htm

We never did learn any of this at school !

Last edited by scot47; Mar 23rd 2014 at 2:03 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go:

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility

this will let you see what if anything you are due.
Hopefully you still have record of your NI number?

note that as you live here, you need to apply via the International Pension Service - NOT the DWP. There's a link on the page.

The IPS will reply to emails but it may take a day or so. Found them actually very helpful! They will also phone you if they have other queries and they take note of the time difference!
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:05 am
Just Joined

ramboyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swazza
They may let you pay backstamps
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:06 am
Just Joined

ramboyd is an unknown quantity at this point

you may be allowed to get full pension by paying back stsamps
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ramboyd
you may be allowed to get full pension by paying back stsamps
I think they have stopped you doing that now, we were offered when the asawa first arrived in the UK but we didn't take it up.