Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Why does life seem hard in the Philippines

Why does life seem hard in the Philippines

Old Dec 17th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why does life seem hard in the Philippines

Beans without pork etc, have always been scarce, but for some reason supplies dried up just over a year ago. I too am vegetarian. Also the beans without meat, cost more than those with, and are highly spiced and hot.
Campbells Soups are available in SM, but expensive. Knorr is available, but watch out, the Cream of Mushroom or Asparagus contain chicken fat. So not suitable.
French Baker is the best for European style bread that you can toast. The local bread being very sugary, and unsuitable for toasting.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Beans without pork etc, have always been scarce, but for some reason supplies dried up just over a year ago. I too am vegetarian. Also the beans without meat, cost more than those with, and are highly spiced and hot.

We have found a good supply of baked beans in "Puregold" stores, at least in San Pablo. the tins are the 15 oz size with pictures of the beans just like we have in the UK......and believe it or not they are just about the same taste.

We tried all the others, adding Lea and Perins or similar to disguise the sweet taste and thought we would never be satisfied but found these beans amongst the "imported" products shelf of Puregold.

Bacon we find is always sugery and the best we found was in the "S & R" store in Alabang near Filinvest. There it comes just chilled in large 5Kgs packs as Green bacon and you can split up at home and freeze.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

well i don't know its what you want i travel to fresh bread by a german baker i still have a few tins of tomato and my sm does a nice coon cheese which we all like, and if i want fresh ham its there. but ok when i was in Samar it was gardinia and fried eggs etc
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:54 am
Just Joined

PHbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

These UK cravings that we crave cost so much. Pound for pound, the equivalent costs cheaper in the UK. Yes it's imported but to satisfy our cravings we have to fork out a bit more extra.

The problem about the Philippines is choice, and the lack of it. You either buy cheap poor quality stuff from China or pay a premium for original goods - mainly electronics, gadgets, clothes, stuff around the house and even cars.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Wouldn't put it so important as "crave" but nice to have now and again.

.........the sunshine and warm weather is free and living expenses are more than reasonable.
Here in the Philippines we can spend every day out in the fresh air enjoying life, that makes up for lack of choice or goods from China and its not a problem but a choice you make when living here.

My hobbies are the garden, fishing and boating. ..love it here.

A few gramms of expensive Stilton cheese last for ages in the fridge until my wife complains of the smell
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:42 am
Just Joined

PHbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Pizza Hut does a nice (but small) portion of fish and chips

Yoghurt is something that I miss. Even the cheap chocolate mousse's from Tesco's!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

....hmhm yoghurt, a regular dessert but very rarely seen in PI. But I have seen them on occasion at a high price of course.
Maybe something you could make yourself ?? We make the popular "Caramel" and Mila puts grated orange peel into it to yum yum it...
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PHbrit
Pizza Hut does a nice (but small) portion of fish and chips

Yoghurt is something that I miss. Even the cheap chocolate mousse's from Tesco's!
When we were in the Phils during the summer we went to Gerry's grill. They do a side order of fish strips (white fish in bread crumbs) plus fries. Makes quite a passable fish and chips.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 2:34 am
Kevray

rizlared is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by piero
well i don't know its what you want i travel to fresh bread by a german baker i still have a few tins of tomato and my sm does a nice coon cheese which we all like, and if i want fresh ham its there. but ok when i was in Samar it was gardinia and fried eggs etc

Live in China at the moment, bread is impossible to buy here so I make my own, bought a Panasonic bread maker from the UK and now make 2-3 loafs and sell to other teachers Paid for the machine in just a few weeks
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Franklin1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tallchefuk
Thankyou for your reply

I just need to know mybe the type or the name of suitable compost for seeds from a garden centre i find when i try to explain what i want they never understand me, As for simple ingredients its always hard to find things i need and after spending alot of time i eventually find what i am looking for....

Do you know if it is tomato puree or tomato paste

Many thanks

Richard
Hi. I am here in the Philippines and have a suggestion. Buy a plastic box and make your own compost. Ask one or two of the local restaurants to save their residue, offer them a small bit, and make your own. It would be easier for you.