Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

What do you miss about living in Philippines

What do you miss about living in Philippines

Old Jan 11th 2014, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss about living in Philippines

Whoops!
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Virginia Purefoods a Cebu Company. Make bacon here, and according to my wife it is very much like that sold in UK. I being vegetarian wouldn't know.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't know they did back bacon. Thought it was only streaky. Will have to investigate.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Virginia make many varieties. Their factory is in Compostela, about 13KM North of SM Consolacion.
They do sausages, tinned meats and other meat products. Travelling North, through Compostela, Town Hall on left, straight on over the bridge and first left. It is about 500metres down, opposite the electricity place. There is a factory shop, by the main gate.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Tropicofcancer.
I pass the factory when visiting a friend in Compostela.
I knew they did all kinds of meat stuff, we use their hot dogs from time to time. I'll go looksee.
Thks again.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:11 am
Just Joined

BradClark is an unknown quantity at this point

The strangest thing I missed when living in the Phils was home cooked mom style food. Cornish pasties, Sausage rolls, things like that. Not a real deal breaker in the grand scheme of things, but it's the little things like that.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BradClark
The strangest thing I missed when living in the Phils was home cooked mom style food. Cornish pasties, Sausage rolls, things like that. Not a real deal breaker in the grand scheme of things, but it's the little things like that.
As the wife has lived in the UK for nearly 20 years I still get some of the home cooked mom style, actually the wife can cook far better than me mom. Funny thing is the first meal we cook when we get back to the UK is a roast beef with all the trimmings, and that's because the wife wants it.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a small village in the middle of Panay. I make all my own bacon, pork pies, when the herring is in season kippers, we have a local bakery ( 25km away ) that does reasonably good brown bread and of course I smoke fish, Barramundi or Bangrus being the best. Having said that I still miss my Stilton cheese with a digestive biscuit.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 5:53 am
Just Joined

swazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by quiltman
Still using the 3 dozen cans of ASDA beans we brought from UK as my wife does not like the Heinz sauce.
got some nice back bacon from Rustans last week - mind you it was a birthday treat from my good lady!http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...es/biggrin.gif
Making bacon is simple, either back or belly (streaky) and way better than the wet cured stuff in packets. i`m new here and struggling how to find my way about, can and how do i post recipe and method, Ham too is superb, i do a minimum of 3 a year.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 12:10 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swazza
i`m new here and struggling how to find my way about, can and how do i post recipe and method, Ham too is superb, i do a minimum of 3 a year.

If you want to put it in the Philippines section, and why not, hit the Philippines tab, then hit the button that says New Thread, top left, and off you go.

Got a friend here in Penang who's been doing Hams and they're delicious.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

swazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bakedbean
If you want to put it in the Philippines section, and why not, hit the Philippines tab, then hit the button that says New Thread, top left, and off you go.

Got a friend here in Penang who's been doing Hams and they're delicious.
Thanks i will do just that
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Hamish Healys is an unknown quantity at this point

There are 5-7 giant supermarket chains in the Philippines. SM, Robinsons, Puregold, Gaisano’s Rustan’s , etc. I suspect they’d be carrying some of the items you’re missing from home. Being raised in Spain, I’d miss some real, good Spanish chorizos and Jamon Serrano (special ham). but I’d find them sometimes in some special deli or at Rustan’s.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Mike 2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

bacon...and more bacon...
Old Jul 13th 2014, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike 2014
bacon...and more bacon...
Make your own, dead easy. If you like unsmoked make a mix of 4 parts salt, 1 part sugar black pepper to taste. Best pork for this is a 1kg piece of pork chop ( you will have to get to the market early before it is all cut up ). Rub mixture all over the pork, put in fridge, drain liquid once a day and turn if required. After 5-6 days wash with fresh water for a few hours, cut the bone out ( this will disappear in seconds and tuned into soup ), slice and fry. Experiment with different cuts, you will soon find out what you like.

If you like smoked send a PM and I will dig out the photos and drawings of my smoker which cost about Ph1,000 to make and is used to smoke ham, bacon, fish ( we often get herring so kippers are quite often on the menu ) and chicken. Unfortunately the smoking process is quite expensive, despite all the materials being free it is the 4 beers consumed each hour while keeping an eye on it.

Last edited by Stokkevn; Jul 13th 2014 at 6:03 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Where have you looked for bacon, we've always found it available in the larger supermarket s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.