visiting Bohol

Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

ianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant future
Default visiting Bohol

Hi,
PeteinhongKong....... i understand you recently visited Bohol and im looking for any info you might be able to pass on regarding that area.Bohol is one of the areas im considering of building a home in as it is relatively close to Davao which is where my partner is from.Not wanting to be "Too close " to the outlaws Bohol is a good possibility along with Cebu and a few other places. Im planning to spend a week or two there next year and was wondering if you can recomend a decent hotel and places to check out? Any info at all awould be most welcome...enjoy your threads by the way, always helpful and well written.

Cheers
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of
Default Re: visiting Bohol

Originally Posted by ianinmalaysia
Hi,
PeteinhongKong....... i understand you recently visited Bohol and im looking for any info you might be able to pass on regarding that area.Bohol is one of the areas im considering of building a home in as it is relatively close to Davao which is where my partner is from.Not wanting to be "Too close " to the outlaws Bohol is a good possibility along with Cebu and a few other places. Im planning to spend a week or two there next year and was wondering if you can recomend a decent hotel and places to check out? Any info at all awould be most welcome...enjoy your threads by the way, always helpful and well written.

Cheers
Yes indeed, I was there with my wife just a couple of weeks ago. It is one of my favourite places for a quick trip to the beach away from Cebu. We usually take the Supercat Ferry which takes around 1 hour 45 minutes. I can't recall what the fare is as my wife usually buys the tickets while I am in Hong Kong. The ferry is usually quite punctual although I must say that on one occasion the service was cancelled due to a mechanical problem and we had to take another service (Weesum Ferry).

The ferry docks at Tagbilaran which I haven't really visited but only passed through on the way to the beach at Panglao which is where we stay. Tagbilaran looks to be a pretty average large town/small city - what strikes you immediately is how much smaller and less busy it is than Cebu. It's about a 25-30 minute drive from the pier to the beach at Panglao.

There are numerous resorts in the Panglao area and on the way to the town. These come in all shapes, sizes and prices. Some are literally on the beach, others inland. We really like to stay close to the beach and we have stayed several times at Alona Tropical which is at the eastern end of the beach itself (round about Pesos 2000 per night for the room). Last time we went upmarket as a treat and stayed at the Amorita Resort which is also at the eastern end, on the cliff overlooking the beach. Very pricey but beautiful villas with plunge pools and very nice facilities.

Panglao is increasingly popular with international tourists (Tagbilaran has a small domestic airport as well). There are now many Mainland Chinese, Russians and other Europeans visiting - the diving is quite an attraction apparently though we don't do it. Baligasag Island is worth a visit - resident dolphins and a marine reserve where you can snorkel and see plenty of fish and turtles. You can rent a banca for 1200-1500 pesos.

When the schools are out in the Philippines many locals also visit. However, it never gets too busy in my view as the beach is quite long and spacious and the Filipinos generally avoid the sun during the day and appear in late afternoon.

The beach in my view is great - the sand is not as fine as Boracay but it is very well maintained and cleaned daily. Having been to Boracay I just don't rate it - too big, too busy and seriously over-rated (and expensive). Panglao has a good selection of beach side restaurants serving fresh seafoods - we love it and for around 1500 pesos you can get a great meal including drinks.

As to living in Bohol there are (as elsewhere) plenty of lots for sale (usual caveats apply) and houses too. I think most things can be got reasonably easily but probably it's not as convenient as Cebu. Probably cheaper for property given its location and the demand. I think some people feel Bohol is not as safe as Cebu - there have been some sad cases involving foreigners coming to grief. But in the Philippines it is always necessary to be sensible and careful.

Of course there are many sights to see around the island and it's quite an attractive place. I know there is a resident expat population but how many and where they are I am not sure about. If I were considering it I think what might deter me is the quietness and rurality of the place - this could be great for a few weeks but then the attraction might wear off. At least in a place like Cebu there are plenty of things available as the city is quite sizable. Plus, Bohol does not have direct international air links unlike Cebu.

Well, that's a view on Bohol. Thanks for the compliment by the way. This does seem a very helpful and informative forum so I think it's important to maintain the prevailing atmosphere.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

ianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant future
Default Re: visiting Bohol

Pete, great background info, i will soak in all the details before i venture to Bohol.
Love the Philippines though and once ive beaten the pressure of work here i'll be spending quite a bit of time there until i can find somewhere that maybe could feel like home.Much easier traveling now Tiger airways fly direct to Davao from Singapore so more opportunity to visit will hopefully arise.
Many thanks again and all the very best for Christmas