Visa problems

Old Jan 9th 2020, 5:39 am
Just Joined

nioclik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa problems

Good afternoon all. First post on here.

What is it with this Country, I am married, 18 years, to a Filipino. We have a house in UK, she works as a nurse I am retired. This year, as part of our gradual move here, I am spending 6 months here. When I arrive here with all nesacary prove of said marriage etc, but with a new passport, the immigration girl refuses to believe I have been before & gives me a 28 day visa.

Then near the end of the 28 days I apply for an extension. 3000php later I get a fir=her 28 days. Today I apply for another extension, lo & behold 5000php later it is another 28 days.

Is this yet another typical Philippine money making scam?
Old Jan 9th 2020, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa problems

You should have received a balikbayan visa as you are married to a Filipina.The visa is good for one year and is Free.You should go to the local BI and get this corrected. I doubt very much that you will get back any money you have already paid. Whether you have a new passport all old one should make no difference. You state you have your marriage certificate, does your wife hold a Filipino passport, or Filipino birth certificate ? My wife’s holds a Dutch passport , but obviously looks Filipino, and speaks Tagalog, so we have never encountered any problems getting a balikbayan stamp.
If you intend to stay here, your wife assuming she has a UK passport could get dual citizenship which my wife now has. I would also suggest applying for a 13a residency visa which is documented on this site.
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstances.

Old Jan 9th 2020, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nioclik

What is it with this Country, I am married, 18 years, to a Filipino. We have a house in UK, she works as a nurse I am retired. This year, as part of our gradual move here, I am spending 6 months here. When I arrive here with all nesacary prove of said marriage etc, but with a new passport, the immigration girl refuses to believe I have been before & gives me a 28 day visa.

Then near the end of the 28 days I apply for an extension. 3000php later I get a fir=her 28 days. Today I apply for another extension, lo & behold 5000php later it is another 28 days.

Something doesn't sound right here. First off as long as you were accompanying your wife you should have got a balikbayan, second if on a tourist visa your first extension would be 29 days taking you to 59 days in total, your second extension would likely have been for 2 months.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately this is the Philippines. Today I have just received a letter from the courts dismissing my case of estafa for 1.8 million pesos. Despite hiring a so called first rate attorney the case has been dismissed. Owing money in the Philippines is not a crime therefore we have very little chance of getting our money back.
it makes me seriously wonder why we are in the Philippines, reevaluating going back to the UK is now a serious consideration.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 9:42 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikek1
Unfortunately this is the Philippines. Today I have just received a letter from the courts dismissing my case of estafa for 1.8 million pesos. Despite hiring a so called first rate attorney the case has been dismissed. Owing money in the Philippines is not a crime therefore we have very little chance of getting our money back.
it makes me seriously wonder why we are in the Philippines, reevaluating going back to the UK is now a serious consideration.
Sorry to hear this Mike, that's a hell of a lot of money to lose.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

you don't make it clear if you entered Phil's with your wife or not.
you need to enter Phil's same time with your wife to get a balikbyan visa valid for one year. You need to be able to prove you are married. Ie passports with same surname and marriage certificate. If you are here already have a weekend in Hong Kong with your wife then re enter with your wife + necessary docs. Then you should get a year's entry at no cost.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

You should have received a balikbayan visa as you are married to a Filipina.The visa is good for one year and is Free.You should go to the local BI and get this corrected. I doubt very much that you will get back any money you have already paid. Whether you have a new passport all old one should make no difference. You state you have your marriage certificate, does your wife hold a Filipino passport, or Filipino birth certificate ? My wife’s holds a Dutch passport , but obviously looks Filipino, and speaks Tagalog, so we have never encountered any problems getting a balikbayan stamp.
If you intend to stay here, your wife assuming she has a UK passport could get dual citizenship which my wife now has. I would also suggest applying for a 13a residency visa which is documented on this site.
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstances.
That was my advice to him when he posted the same thing on one of the expat FB Groups.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that Mike. That would definitely have me rethinking about staying here.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

nioclik,
A Balik Bayan visa is a privilege granted at the sole discretion of the Immigration Officer on arrival only. As stated in a previous post the recipient must be accompanied by his/her spouse with a marriage ceritifcate.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 6:32 am
Just Joined

nioclik is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for delay in replying.
I should have made it clearer. No I arrived on my own with marriage certificate, ratified by the Philippine embassy in 2003.
This was obviously not enough. iI received varying, conflicting, information, from so called experts in various offices.
My wife arrives here on Monday so we will be going to the immigration office in Marquee Mail to try & sort it out.
Thanks for all your helpful advice.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for delay in replying.
I should have made it clearer. No I arrived on my own with marriage certificate, ratified by the Philippine embassy in 2003.
This was obviously not enough. iI received varying, conflicting, information, from so called experts in various offices.
My wife arrives here on Monday so we will be going to the immigration office in Marquee Mail to try & sort it out.
Thanks for all your helpful advice.
Both you and your wife must pass through immigration together to qualify for the balikbayan privilege, if your wife is not there at the time how can she request it for you. There's nothing to sort out, you travelling alone simply do not qualify.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

nioclik,
You are on a Tourist Visa a trip to the local BI Office will not change your status. The one year BB privilege is only issued at the Immigration Officers discretion. Remember it is a privilege.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Andrew_AJP is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this doesn't help the present situation ,but as I understand it if you apply for 13a visa at London embassy you don't have to go thru the probationary period of a year in the Philippines,

Also when me and the wife went over to get married the immigration officer told me then that next time I went with the wife I would be eligible for the Balikbayan visa but she had to be there

Also sorry to hear about Mike
That sucks
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings!

This is a heads up for those like me who are residing here on tourist visas

I have heard a while ago that Immigration Officials are getting tougher on those who reside here with tourist visas. I have now heard of two individuals (Manila and Cebu) that returned to the Philippines on a "visa run". They were nearly turned away because they were "abusing" their visas and should apply for either SRRV or 13a whichever is appropriate. The guy at Manila had to promise he will apply for the SRRV whilst the gentleman at Cebu was refused entry initially. He explained that he was married and had to show his Marriage Certificate before he was allowed back in, Seems the Philippines is going the same way as Thailand.

Regards