Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

UK State Pension in Philippines

UK State Pension in Philippines

Old Nov 30th 2010, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK State Pension in Philippines

Originally Posted by miradav
I get my Military Pension paid direct to the bank here (BDO), just contacted Paymaster with bank details, had no problem, nothing for the bank to sign.

State pension by cheque only at the moment.

Regards
Hi,

Is that paid UK tax free? Then I suppose you have to declare it in country of residence?

As I am in Canada is there a location I could have it paid tax free to? say the IOM of an offshore account somewhere?

Is that difficult or possible to do?

Thanks a lot
Old Nov 30th 2010, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

cambridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Can any U.K. expat confirm that they get the U.K. state married man's pension whilst living in the Philippines with a Filipino wife. Also do you get the annual pension increase? All comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

cambridge.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

miradav is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

You do not get marriage allowance under the new pension scheme. To read more go to the DirectGov uk site for information on state pension, www.direct.gov.uk.

In reply to Tax free pension go to the same site for information.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Update, Received first pension payment today, takes one month. Now after speaking to BDO here in the Philippines will take upto a month to clear. So any body who is due to receive there state pension in the Philippines be aware unless you have a UK bank account it will take up to 8 weeks to get your money. Also the bank charges US $50 for the collection charges in the Philippines other banks may vary.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Good news for the delivery but wow the collection charge is not good. BDO though do make some odd charges, I went to pay an advertising company a few pesos and paid through the BDO in Lemery. 50 pesos they charged for paying into the advertisers account, almost a pound !!!

Mentioned it to BPI and they said that they don't make a charge.
I found the Spanish banks were like this when we lived there for a year or so.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cambridge
Can any U.K. expat confirm that they get the U.K. state married man's pension whilst living in the Philippines with a Filipino wife. Also do you get the annual pension increase? All comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

cambridge.
Hello. I am in Thailand - and NO! you never get another pension rise. I think that sucks, and am returning for that, (and many other reasons) in February. Can then also get Pensions Credit, and they will move the rate I get up to current levels, automatically, when I confirm, I am back for good.. Take care Dontheturner. (Aged 80)
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:50 am
Just Joined

I am in the Philippines and get Pension Rises. If the Uk Gov have a Social Security agreement with country.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

I am in the Philippines and get Pension Rises. If the Uk Gov have a Social Security agreement with country.
NOT ON THE STATE UK PENSION YOU DON'T

And furthermore, I think you will find, there has been no rises this past two years either, for anybody, in UK. ( Not even Civil Servants Pensions either)

Last edited by dontheturner; Dec 10th 2010 at 3:21 am.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:52 am
Just Joined

From the www.direct.gov.uk site.

Claiming your State Pension when you live abroad

You can claim your State Pension if you live outside the UK. However, you’ll only receive the yearly index-linked increases if you live in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland or in a country with which the UK has a social security agreement that includes state pensions.

If you live outside those areas, you won’t be entitled to the increases that normally happen yearly. However, if you return to live in the UK, your State Pension will be increased to current levels.

Social secuity agreement countries

These countries have social security agreements with the UK.

Australia*
Barbados
Bermuda
Canada
Isle of Man**
Israel
Jamaica
Japan***
Jersey and Guernsey (Channel Islands)
Mauritius
New Zealand
Philippines
Republic of Korea***
Republics of the former Yugoslavia
Switzerland - The EU rules on social security largely cover Switzerland.
Turkey
USA

*The Social Security Agreement between the United Kingdom (UK) and Australia was terminated by Australia and ended on 28 February 2001. When in force the agreement helped people moving between the two countries by allowing periods of UK residence to be treated as periods of residence in Australia, in claims for Australian Age Pension, and periods of Australian residence to count as periods when UK National Insurance Contributions had been paid in claims for UK basic State Pension and bereavement benefits made in the UK. People getting benefit under the terms of the Agreement when it ended continue to be helped by it. However, any additional amount of benefit that becomes payable under the agreement is no longer paid if the person leaves the UK to live permanently elsewhere (outside the UK, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands).

For people living in or coming to the UK after the agreement ended, the UK Government has made special arrangements to allow periods of residence in Australia, up to April 2001, to be taken into account in claims for basic State Pension and bereavement benefits. Any additional amount of benefit that becomes payable under the special arrangements remains payable as long as the person continues to live permanently in the UK or the Isle of Man.

For former residents of the UK who now live in Australia, the Agreement counted residence in the UK towards the 10-year residence test for Australia's Age Pension. UK pensioners have the amount of their UK State Pension deducted from any Australian Age Pension awarded in this way. We understand that Australia continues to apply this to people who emigrated before 1 March 2000. People arriving in Australia after that date now have to satisfy the ten year residence test before they can qualify for Age Pension.

For more information contact the International Pension Centre.

** For contributions and benefits there are special arrangements in place for people who travel to the Isle of Man from the UK. You can read the details of the arrangements for the Isle of Man on the HM Revenue & Customs website.

*** The agreements between Japan and the Republic of Korea are Double Contributions Conventions (DCC) which only cover social security contribution liability and do not include benefits. You can find more details on DCC's and the agreements between Japan and Korea on the HM Revenue & Customs website

Hope this clarifies every thing.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

From the www.direct.gov.uk site.

Claiming your State Pension when you live abroad

You can claim your State Pension if you live outside the UK. However, you’ll only receive the yearly index-linked increases if you live in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland or in a country with which the UK has a social security agreement that includes state pensions.

If you live outside those areas, you won’t be entitled to the increases that normally happen yearly. However, if you return to live in the UK, your State Pension will be increased to current levels.

Social secuity agreement countries

These countries have social security agreements with the UK.

Australia*
Barbados
Bermuda
Canada
Isle of Man**
Israel
Jamaica
Japan***
Jersey and Guernsey (Channel Islands)
Mauritius
New Zealand
Philippines
Republic of Korea***
Republics of the former Yugoslavia
Switzerland - The EU rules on social security largely cover Switzerland.
Turkey
USA

*The Social Security Agreement between the United Kingdom (UK) and Australia was terminated by Australia and ended on 28 February 2001. When in force the agreement helped people moving between the two countries by allowing periods of UK residence to be treated as periods of residence in Australia, in claims for Australian Age Pension, and periods of Australian residence to count as periods when UK National Insurance Contributions had been paid in claims for UK basic State Pension and bereavement benefits made in the UK. People getting benefit under the terms of the Agreement when it ended continue to be helped by it. However, any additional amount of benefit that becomes payable under the agreement is no longer paid if the person leaves the UK to live permanently elsewhere (outside the UK, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands).

For people living in or coming to the UK after the agreement ended, the UK Government has made special arrangements to allow periods of residence in Australia, up to April 2001, to be taken into account in claims for basic State Pension and bereavement benefits. Any additional amount of benefit that becomes payable under the special arrangements remains payable as long as the person continues to live permanently in the UK or the Isle of Man.

For former residents of the UK who now live in Australia, the Agreement counted residence in the UK towards the 10-year residence test for Australia's Age Pension. UK pensioners have the amount of their UK State Pension deducted from any Australian Age Pension awarded in this way. We understand that Australia continues to apply this to people who emigrated before 1 March 2000. People arriving in Australia after that date now have to satisfy the ten year residence test before they can qualify for Age Pension.

For more information contact the International Pension Centre.

** For contributions and benefits there are special arrangements in place for people who travel to the Isle of Man from the UK. You can read the details of the arrangements for the Isle of Man on the HM Revenue & Customs website.

*** The agreements between Japan and the Republic of Korea are Double Contributions Conventions (DCC) which only cover social security contribution liability and do not include benefits. You can find more details on DCC's and the agreements between Japan and Korea on the HM Revenue & Customs website

Hope this clarifies every thing.
Sorry, did not notice where you are. Lucky you! don
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Update,
The cheque was cut on the 9 November, received 9 December at the bank, money in bank 28 December, that is how long it takes to get your pension paid in the Philippines.
Have sent a complaint to the International Pension Service, as why the the philippines is not on the list of electronic transfer and explained the situation to them of why I should have wait the amount of time it takes to get it.
Note next cheque was cut on the 8 December still waiting for it.........
Old Dec 31st 2010, 10:04 am
Just Joined

rodgedodge is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All.
You may be interested to know that Industrial Accident/Disease benefit from the U.K. is also payable in the Philippines, at the same rate as the U.K.
Got this from my M.P. here in the U.K.
Been trying to get some politicians interested in allowing people here in the U.K.
Who rely on the state for support for housing ect, to be allowed to move to the Philippines, while retaining a proportion of their benefits( Housing costs ect).
The Brit government would save Billions.
For instance if a person moved from a care home in the U.K. with upwards costs of £500 per week.
To a place in the Phils for say £100 a week.
With the latest estimates of 10 million people aged 100 years,living soon in the U.K.
Some things and attitudes need to be adjusted !
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:27 am
Just Joined

golftees is an unknown quantity at this point

Update, Received first pension payment today, takes one month. Now after speaking to BDO here in the Philippines will take upto a month to clear. So any body who is due to receive there state pension in the Philippines be aware unless you have a UK bank account it will take up to 8 weeks to get your money. Also the bank charges US $50 for the collection charges in the Philippines other banks may vary.
It's very simple to set up.I would advise you to open an account with H.S.B.C. Jersey UK.(where your pension can be sent)Then open a sterling a/c with H.S.B.C here in the Philippines..You can transfer funds on-line from UK to the Philippines with no charge.. in seconds.

You then can get a A.T.M. card (P.I. one) and withdraw funds any where in the P.I.through 'Banknet'.(exchange rate very good and no charge)

Remember... International bank card withdrawals are subject to a charge of up to 250p in the P.I...and as you know max withdrawals at a.t.m's are 10.000P per withdrawal.

Last edited by golftees; Jan 4th 2011 at 3:29 am.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice golftees, but the nearest hsbc to me is in Cebu, I lve in Cagayan de Oro, so it is not much value to me.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:24 am
Just Joined

golftees is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice golftees, but the nearest hsbc to me is in Cebu, I lve in Cagayan de Oro, so it is not much value to me.
Well you could always pop over there and join the bank and use the atm card in CDO.

I use to live in CDO..if you play golf.. there is a great golf course up at Bukidnon in the middle of the De Monte plantation.It's free to play for foreigner's (or it use to be).If you go have a Del Monte steak in the clubhouse..they breed their own live stock and feed them on pineapple pulp..before slaughter...great taste.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.