TV system in Philippines

Old May 29th 2011, 3:32 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV system in Philippines

Do they use PAL or the NTSC system as in US & Japan? I just got asked an unlikely question, 'Would a British assembled tv with UK freeview box fitted work over there, pick up any channels'

Thanks for any input.
Old May 30th 2011, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV system in Philippines

NTSC
We bought a full digital TV some years back. Handy if you have a PAL camera, and/or VCR. A branded 29" now costs around P14,000 or £200.
Old May 30th 2011, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by expatasia
Do they use PAL or the NTSC system as in US & Japan? I just got asked an unlikely question, 'Would a British assembled tv with UK freeview box fitted work over there, pick up any channels'

Thanks for any input.
Our UK bought tv works fine here. We don't even try to get local television, but use cable tv from Comclark, which also works fine.

If you are feeding into the SCART socket on the TV it doesn't matter what your tv is, PAl or NTSC. Our UK XBox, Wii, and all work fine too.

Not sure what a Freeview box does exactly, but I'm guessing it is just a tuner of some sort. It may work if you plug it into the SCART socket.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy a TV-Tuner for your computer. They are useful for downloading from a video camera. You can alter formats if you wish.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
You can buy a TV-Tuner for your computer. They are useful for downloading from a video camera. You can alter formats if you wish.
I've been thinking of something like this as I have a couple of old video camcorders that I'd like to download the movie off. What exactly are these devices called?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

They are called "TV-Tuners." I can vouch for the Pinnacle brand, but there are many cheaper available through Gaisano Interpace, or CD-R King.
A 700MB VCD holds just over seventy minutes of VCR tape.
If the VCR device is not stereo you will need an adapter P29 from ACE Hardware amongst others, they also sell a scart socket adapter if needed, at under P300.
I believe though that Windows 7 can cope with PAL.

CD-R King are the cheapest for branded blank CD's.

If you have a full digital TV you can use a PAL VCR direct, and it plays. If you do not have full digital, it will only play in black and white.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
They are called "TV-Tuners." I can vouch for the Pinnacle brand, but there are many cheaper available through Gaisano Interpace, or CD-R King.
A 700MB VCD holds just over seventy minutes of VCR tape.
If the VCR device is not stereo you will need an adapter P29 from ACE Hardware amongst others, they also sell a scart socket adapter if needed, at under P300.
I believe though that Windows 7 can cope with PAL.

CD-R King are the cheapest for branded blank CD's.

If you have a full digital TV you can use a PAL VCR direct, and it plays. If you do not have full digital, it will only play in black and white.
Thanks for the info. I was in CD-R King an hour ago actually, looking for a hard drive casing. They appear to have no end of wonderful gadgets and widgets.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:33 am
Just Joined

pedro606 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: TV system in Philippines

Have been toying with the idea of buying and sending a TV to Mindanao , Philippines but as usual for me left it to late to decide etc!
My wife and I will be there for 6 weeks mid March to late April. We will need a TV for our little cottage. The American guy next door will extend a cable for our use if we have a TV.
I doubt we will be able to rent a TV though- would prefer that but I guess we will finish up having to buy one.
Butuan City is our local town but could go to CdO to buy one. Maybe a 32" or less. Preferably flat screen if poss but depends on price.

That is where I am coming to the point. Can anyone , if at all possible, let me know what I would be expected to pay? I would appreciate your help.

I could ask a memeber of the 'family' but I know they would not shop around and also go for the best brand etc etc- you know the score, I am sure.
many thanks,
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

For the branded TV's expect to pay upwards of P8500. There are many cheaper ones not well known brands from around the P3000 mark, 12" - 14". MIL has a 20" it cost P3500 and is still working three years down the line.

A JVC 29" costs P14000. Full Digital.
DVD players are from P1200 and up. Expect to pay P2500 for a half decent one.

Don't forget that you are allowed to buy in the Duty Free (Balikbayan +) TV's and other things. One visit only.

Let me say for kettles and other electrical items, the 3D brand has vastly improved. Okay they may not be the most impressive state of the art, but they work and are reliable with it.
Toasters are readily available now, but the mini ovens do the job well, and are obviously useful for other things too.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:46 am
Just Joined

pedro606 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks indeed for that. I doubt there is a duty free outlet in Butuan City, sadly.
I had an email from an ex-pat living in Butuan and was told that he has just bought a 32" LG flat screen LCD for 20,000pesos.
How does that measure up within the scheme of things?

Thanks. Pete
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

The Philippines use NTSC and a UK TV would not work for off air transmissions. Like most places they are changing to digital. A UK Freeview box would not work.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The LG brand is a good one ours is ten years old. We haven't tried a flat screen yet.

The only channel a PAL TV will pick up is channel 23.

With regard to Duty Free there should be one at the International Airport you disembark from. There is also one in SM Cebu City.
Obviously the one in Manila is a big one, that sells more things, with a wider choice.