Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Sun SIMcard for UK Mobile Problem

Sun SIMcard for UK Mobile Problem

Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

oatia is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Sun SIMcard for UK Mobile Problem

Hi,

I’ve fitted a Sun Cellular PrePay SIMcard into a Tesco Mobile PAYG DoroPhoneEasy409. I unlocked it following Tesco Mobile instructions.

The main screen now shows “SOS call only” and if I try to make a call the message “Barred call” is displayed.

It still connects to Globe Telecom TESCO when I insert the old SIMcard and I still have access to the Tesco Inbox to read messages.

There was a warning not to use O2 or GiffGaff, but I haven’t found anything that suggests it won’t work with Sun.

Can anyone tell me if there’s a solution for this, please?

Thanks in advance,

oatia
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:49 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sun SIMcard for UK Mobile Problem

Sounds like your unlock procedure, has not actually unlocked your phone.

BTW is there a reason you need to use a big font?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Think theres a clue in that its a Dorophone. They have big number keys and large fonts on screen for us oldies - my wife has one!Perhaps the poster has a visual problem.
Does sound like its not unlocked - my wifes was from carphone warehouse and came SIM free.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Ho Oatia,
You can try this site to get an unlock code for your Doro phone:
http://www.wintechmobiles.com/tools/...de-calculator/

you will need your phones IMEI number and this is usually on the box it came in or sometimes under the battery. Its a 15 digit number and identifies your particular handset.

From what I could find out in a brief Google, the Tesco phones are locked and I'm surprised they give you unlock instructions - why not just supply them unlocked?

If this doesn't work send me a PM with the unlock instructions you were given and I'll see if I can be of any more help.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi, me again.
Just looked on the Tesco mobile site.
They say they will give you an unlock code for your mobile if:

EITHER you have had it for at least 9 months OR you have credited it with at least 150euros of calling credit.

Do you meet these criteria?

Maybe thats why your code didn't work?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Sounds like your unlock procedure, has not actually unlocked your phone.

BTW is there a reason you need to use a big font?
I'll see if I can find another network's SIMcard and retry the unlock procedure, thanks.

The text is so small on my 13" MacBook I have a job to read it, don't have the same problem with most other forums. Maybe I should be asking why this forum use such a small size!

Smilies seem quite large in comparison.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quiltman
Hi, me again.
Just looked on the Tesco mobile site.
They say they will give you an unlock code for your mobile if:

EITHER you have had it for at least 9 months OR you have credited it with at least 150euros of calling credit.

Do you meet these criteria?

Maybe thats why your code didn't work?
Thanks, the phone's about 3 years old, actually belonged to my late mother hence the large keys/display. It was a PAYG package, locked to their network.

I contacted Tesco in the middle of last year and they issued me with the unlock code to use once I insert a different SIMcard. I'll see if I can borrow different SIMcard to try it with.

If that doesn't work, I'll use the IMEI no. on the link you've supplied, thanks.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All,

I put a Smart SIMcard in, expecting to have to go through the unlock procedure again, but to my surprise I had Smart network access straight away so the unlock procedure appears to have been successful.

The problem, according to several locals, is that my phone is not "open line," a term I've not come across before. I did a quick Google but couldn't see anything to explain it. Subsequently, I'll try Smart tomorrow, although the locals I asked all recommended Sun.

However, if anyone know how to make a phone "open line" I'd be very grateful to know, thanks.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oatia
Hi All,

I put a Smart SIMcard in, expecting to have to go through the unlock procedure again, but to my surprise I had Smart network access straight away so the unlock procedure appears to have been successful.

The problem, according to several locals, is that my phone is not "open line," a term I've not come across before. I did a quick Google but couldn't see anything to explain it. Subsequently, I'll try Smart tomorrow, although the locals I asked all recommended Sun.

However, if anyone know how to make a phone "open line" I'd be very grateful to know, thanks.
Open line is the same as unlocked
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Can only assume that I unlocked my phone at the first attempt.

Checked the IMEI in the Win Tech calculator and confirmed that Tesco had given me the correct code. There's been no further opportunity to re-enter the code since, whichever SIMcard I've used.

I've also tried it without a SIMcard and entered a sequence which is supposed to result in a request for an unlock code, but all I get is an option to toggle the STR function on/off. I've come across 3 instances where people have asked what the STR function is, but there have been no answers. There doesn't seem to be any difference whichever way it's set.

Unless anyone has a better idea, I'll insert a new Smart SIMcard later today and see how I get on with that. Based on the responses I had yesterday when I borrowed one, I don't think I'll have any more problems.

Thanks for your replies everyone.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

You're welcome. Looks like you've fixed it!
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Sun SIMcard for UK Mobile Problem

Originally Posted by quiltman
You're welcome. Looks like you've fixed it!
Having fitted the SMART SIMcard, so far I've rung the phone with Skype and it rang, also received a Skype SMS message I sent.

I've since received several balance messages after following the activation SMS instructions I received. At least I have a number to give out now to all who require it. I don't yet know how to load it yet, but it seems to work OK so far.

I still am none the wiser about "open line," the local guy who manages the routers was a bit vague about it when I asked.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

To load is easy.
Buy a smart load card from virtually anywhere - I use the booth in SM consolacion.
Rub off the silver panel on the back to reveal the PIN.
you dial 1510 and the PIN number under the silver panel, for example, 151024689457 then press "SEND" and you'll be told how much you loaded and when its valid to. you'll also get a text with the same info. i usually put 500pesos on. Cards are available in I think, 100, 200,300,& 500pesos.

As a certain meerkat says 'Simples".
Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oatia
Having fitted the SMART SIMcard, so far I've rung the phone with Skype and it rang, also received a Skype SMS message I sent.

I've since received several balance messages after following the activation SMS instructions I received. At least I have a number to give out now to all who require it. I don't yet know how to load it yet, but it seems to work OK so far.

I still am none the wiser about "open line," the local guy who manages the routers was a bit vague about it when I asked.
I thought I'd answered that one, it means unlocked.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I thought I'd answered that one, it means unlocked.
But my phone is now unlocked as far as I can see, and I still can't use Sun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.