Six months in Manila

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

KLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to all
Default Six months in Manila

Hi,

Starting a Project in Manila in August and looking for any top social tips.

Googling around, seems like Makati is the place to go?

Basically, looking for somewhere to enjoy a few beers, possibly some English football and a local pub type vibe with some ex-pat company of a Friday and Saturday night?

I'll be fully intent on immersing myself in the local food/culture/history etc, as I do wherever I work, but of a weekend it's nice to have a sense of some home comforts (especially on a longer term Project) so a good place for a Sunday morning full English would be a bonus as well.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Six months in Manila

Manila is a massive city, Makati is the most central part with alot going on..or at least, there was alot going on when I lived there (93-98)..heard it's improved. There's always Pasay and Quezon city too..though at least back in the day, they were a bit rougher around the edges than Makati.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Manila is a massive city, Makati is the most central part with alot going on..or at least, there was alot going on when I lived there (93-98)..heard it's improved. There's always Pasay and Quezon city too..though at least back in the day, they were a bit rougher around the edges than Makati.
Makati is still 'Rough around the Edges' even in 2012!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Crystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this point

RE: Paracletus
Manila isn't a massive city but is one of the world's most densely populated ones. Seems many think that Makati etc. is in Manila but it's actually one of 16 cities that form Metro Manila. Don't know why but this misconception kind of annoys me a bit?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

KLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to all

Thanks for bumping the Thread, fellas. Now if anyone could answer the actual questions posed, then that would be hugely appreciated
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Crystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok KPLates. Yes,Makati will meet all your needs so get your ass there and immerse yourself. :drink wine:
Old Jul 26th 2012, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by KLPlates
Hi,

Basically, looking for somewhere to enjoy a few beers, possibly some English football and a local pub type vibe with some ex-pat company of a Friday and Saturday night?

I'll be fully intent on immersing myself in the local food/culture/history etc, as I do wherever I work, but of a weekend it's nice to have a sense of some home comforts (especially on a longer term Project) so a good place for a Sunday morning full English would be a bonus as well.

Thanks in advance.
Don't immerse yourself too much in the Food Culture! - Most of it is overloaded with Sugar (Even Bread), and if you see 'Pork' on a menu, it actually means 'Pork Fat!'
Old Jul 28th 2012, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you will find the food disappointing and the combination of heat, humidity and pollution somewhat debilitating. They do grow world class mangoes and if you deep freeze them and eat one a day it stops your throat from being infected by the pollution. Makati is the main hangout for moneyed expats and all sorts of bars and clubs likely to cater to most tastes, so you will be fine on the nightlife and even expensive places the beer is cheap by London standards. Be aware it is quite easy to stray into the shanty towns on the edge of Makati where life is quite desperate and the streets are strangely empty once night falls (away from the shopping centre), can be quite dangerous if you look rich.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:28 am
Just Joined

windev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KLPlates
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
I love going to Bonifacio Global City and Eastwood City, Libis for Saturday night outs (or any other nights for that matter). Try it, you won't be disappointed.

There are a lot more places to go but I am frequent on those two places I have mentioned.

By the way, I am from the Philippines but I am at Leicester currently.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dale-Vaness
Manila isn't a massive city but is one of the world's most densely populated ones. Seems many think that Makati etc. is in Manila but it's actually one of 16 cities that form Metro Manila. Don't know why but this misconception kind of annoys me a bit?
Pardon me..Manila is a massive conurbation. In all my years of living there, I hardly heard anyone refer to manila as metro manila..Officially, yes..in conversation, no. And glad to see you can copy paste from wikipedia.

Also, to OP..there was a pub called 'prince of wales' in greenbelt..about the most british I remember anywhere there.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Makati is still 'Rough around the Edges' even in 2012!
Supposedly, a fault line runs directly under large parts of the city..I mean conurbation. Not much is publicized on this, could be a massive disaster if there was a quake.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Supposedly, a fault line runs directly under large parts of the city..I mean conurbation. Not much is publicized on this, could be a massive disaster if there was a quake.
It runs through Libis and Eastwood along the C5
Old Aug 6th 2012, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

I've been to Philippines 5 times and married a (beautiful) Filipina so I don't need to research Wikipedia, Ok!
Old Aug 18th 2012, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

5 times and you get angry over Manila being called a massive city . So what if i say i don't like rice for breakfast or worse i will never eat balut, maybe your head is stuck somewhere
Old Sep 1st 2012, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

When you've quite finished bickering

Anyway, I'm here. It's alright, innit. Not had much chance to enjoy the social side of things yet but nailed down a bar that shows the footy so that's one less thing to sort out. I'd invite you all for a beer but you seem an argumentative crowd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.