Problems

Old Dec 15th 2013, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

grahamuk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problems

How much would you save by just using fans rather than aircon ?

I'd like to retire there too...on a small income, but I've never used aircon in the Phils. I've lived there before for periods of up to 3 years...province and city.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahamuk2
How much would you save by just using fans rather than aircon ?

I'd like to retire there too...on a small income, but I've never used aircon in the Phils. I've lived there before for periods of up to 3 years...province and city.
Don't know about there, but in Melacca.... when we used the aircon during the day (when in) in the lounge as well as overnight in the bedroom, we were paying around RM250/260 (around £50) per month. Last month we managed without the one during the day (just a wall fan in the lounge), but kept the bedroom one on while sleeping and it came down to RM178 (about £35). Not sure if that is much help to you over there, though as I am not sure how the price of electricity compares?
Old Dec 16th 2013, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

We don't use a/c and seldom use fans just have the windows open. Not because of monitory saving but because it's nicer.

OK it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get acclimatized and that period is uncomfortable and sweaty but so much nicer afterwards and can go out during the day or evening without turning into a ball of sweat.
Mind you we live in Singapore where the temps don't really go above 33c during the day.
In fact the thermometer we have in the house is seldom above 31c.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

our place in Manila cots us over 10,000 a month on power with one 1.5 window air con used about 14 hours a day(night time). this month the power will go up to 15,000 a moth because of incompetence or downright criminal collusion, maybe both.

we have usual family domestic appliances, nothing out of the ordinary and no hit water heaters we use gas for cooking. There are no energy subsidies here unlike most other places. so over 130 GBP per month equivalent for a cheaper period, summer time nearer 180GBP per month.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Well I'd just be using a fan, as to pay that amount of money for aircon (on my budget) would be ridiculous, as well as totally unnecessary, as fortunately I know I can manage without.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi grahamuk2,

We finally moved here to Cebu last July to live with our sons. We had been visiting every year for 6/7 weeks previously so were well aware of the potential problems but the steady heat is much better for my wifes arthritis than the unpredictable UK weather!
Here in Cebu , using VECO for power the average monthly bill is about 16,000 pesos. thats for a 6 bedroom house with pool and jacussi. Air con is on in three rooms at night , all 1.5hp inverter types, usual appliances and gadgets.
Since we were paying over 80pounds per month in UK( about 6000pesos just for the two of us) split over 5 people and 3 staff I don't think thats too bad. We use fans most of the day, or if there's a breeze open the doors and windows.! Our biggest savings are on water(53pounds/month in Uk) and gas(45 pounds per month) a total of around 13,000 pesos month for all utilities. We cook with gas and a large tank lasts at least 12 months for 3000 pesos. Water is around 1000 pesos/month. Plus of course Council Tax of 128pounds/month back in Uk!
Conversly we have an expat friend who rents a two bed flat for 10,000pesos/month and his electricity is around 4,000pesos with aircon in one room at night. Water and gas he says average around 5/600 pesos per month.He has pensions of around 700pounds(roughly 50,000pesos) a month. My wife and I are lucky in that our state and private pensions mean we can live well here compared to UK and ,yes, we do get the annual increases.
The biggest killer is cost of medicine!We priced all my wifes medicines before we made the decision to move and have since found cheaper generics here. long term medicine requirements can quickly eat into your pension if you don't or can't get insurance such as BUPA or similar.
Like others say, what you will spend depends on your needs and living away from the city is definitely cheaper ,as is where you shop.

I hope this little epistle helps in some way.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks for for that helpful information...admittedly illustrating the costs at the other end of the spectrum to those which some of us mere poverty-stricken plebs are likely to be able to afford. lol

It does give some breadth to the discussion though.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome.
Yes, I realise we are relatively lucky in that our sons already had a largish house, so we used some of our UK house sale capital to extend it to fit us in! We used to live in Lincolnshire so didn't make a fortune when we sold!!

We are now looking to rent or buy a small house here to store our UK furniture as currently it's in a warehouse in Mandaeu city, so I've been doing some investigating. We can rent a 2/3 bed townhouse(terrace in UK) or a 2 bed semi type on a subdivision for between 5 - 9,000 pesos a month in our locality. That's just from the web. Once you get to know a few people you find lots of places are only advertised by a sign on the door. Move out of the city and it'll cost less. That's here on Cebu ,prices will vary depending where you look in the archipelago.
These prices are a lot less than our current storage fees! I think we'll end up buying - via a corporation as we cannot own land here - as new townhouses around here can be had for the equivalent of 30/40 thousand sterling.Even with a short term mortgage the monthly cost is less than storage plus there would be an asset for our sons when we pop our clogs.

When you get nearer to making your decision, please post here and I'm sure we can update you with current costs etc so you can budget more accurately.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
You're welcome.
Yes, I realise we are relatively lucky in that our sons already had a largish house, so we used some of our UK house sale capital to extend it to fit us in! We used to live in Lincolnshire so didn't make a fortune when we sold!!

We are now looking to rent or buy a small house here to store our UK furniture as currently it's in a warehouse in Mandaeu city, so I've been doing some investigating. We can rent a 2/3 bed townhouse(terrace in UK) or a 2 bed semi type on a subdivision for between 5 - 9,000 pesos a month in our locality. That's just from the web. Once you get to know a few people you find lots of places are only advertised by a sign on the door. Move out of the city and it'll cost less. That's here on Cebu ,prices will vary depending where you look in the archipelago.
These prices are a lot less than our current storage fees! I think we'll end up buying - via a corporation as we cannot own land here - as new townhouses around here can be had for the equivalent of 30/40 thousand sterling.Even with a short term mortgage the monthly cost is less than storage plus there would be an asset for our sons when we pop our clogs.

When you get nearer to making your decision, please post here and I'm sure we can update you with current costs etc so you can budget more accurately.
A corporation is not the only method you can purchase a town house depending upon how the Town house is titled, There are two types of title, one is similar to condos so you can own in your own name under lease laws. The other is freehold which you cannot own.

As for corporation. The anti dummy law which in effect is designed to keep back door ownership by foreigners out, is not one to mess with.

To not be in an anti dummy situation, the other shareholders must have their own non borrowed capital to raise and the corporation must be a trading entity, yes a property company may do but the BIR registration and SEC annual fees are to be considered. A dormant company may be considered as in Breach of the anti dummy laws and you will lose ownership without compensation.

If you are still determined to pursue the corporation route make sure that your maximum of 40% is fully paid up and the others do not have the ability to own more than the minimum on a part paid basis that way you have voting control. You cannot be a senior officer, Secretary, Treasurer or President, you can be the sole/joint signatory to any bank accounts allowing restricted financial control.

Get undated resignations of all others and a deed of assignment undated in case of need to manage the shares, in itself a near declaration of falling foul of the anti dummy laws.

Be very very careful and get a very good broker and attorney to assist, they are rare but not impossible to find.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the input mikemike. It is appreciated. Both our sons have corporations set up under filipino law and both are legitimate trading entities.
All the documentation you describe is in place and monthly returns are made to BIR. They were lucky in that our eldest sons Filipina partners father is an attorney and guided them thro' the set up.Effectively we will never own anything but look upon it as long term leasing!
Don't worry, we are well aware of the potential problems! We weren't too knowledgeable a couple of years ago!

this foreign ownership thing is really hampering development here. how is a foreign owned company going to remove the land? I understand the original thinking behind the law but surely certain areas of land could be made available for foreign ownership of factories etc? I see Malaysia is plugging 100% foreign ownership for certain sectors such as tourism.

again ,thanks for the input.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

We use Cebeco, being further North of Cebu City. Our house has solid walls and air-con during the day isn't really necessary. I don't need air-con, but the others do, and just using two 1HP units at night, and for part of the day, our bill comes to between P5200 - P6400 a month. 11kg of Shellane costs P1007 and last us just over two months.

Houses in Consolacion area were mentioned, about 5kms North of SM Consolacion, are some new build houses. We were given a flyer in SM, and apparently the two storey detached properties start at P2.2 million. There are a lot of new builds all along the National Highway, Consolacion, Liloan (mentioned above), Compostela, Sabang (Danao). There are some luxury houses going up in Guinsay near the beach, but at a price.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Health Care could be the crucial question.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
In fairness this has more to do with western economies going down the toilet compared to Asian emerging economies. Exceptions have been Canadian and Ozie dollars. Pound was 59 at one time now it is up to 68 which is where it was about 20 years ago.

I suspect as "hot Money outflows in Se Asia climb chasing western recovery then there will be key $us and GBP appreciation. As Philippines has never undertaken structural reforms worthy of the name then I can see the GBP above 80 by end of 2014.
April 2014 and it is now 75 to the £, do you want a job as our currency financial adviser?

I still remember the heady days of 106 to the £.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
April 2014 and it is now 75 to the £, do you want a job as our currency financial adviser?

I still remember the heady days of 106 to the £.
i remember those days as well. I suspect it will take a huge failure on the part of the Philippines for that to return.

I still have thoughts that tell me 80:1 by year end, entirely due to UK economy coming off the bottom and Europe having found the bottom.

In addition there is still no meaningful structural reform here in the Philippines
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

What it will cost you depends very much on your chosen lifestyle.

I've been involved with the Philippines for over 20 years, but only lived here for a while recently.

Every Filipino I knew told me how cheap it would be to live here. I asked how good it would be on 80,000 pesos per month, and was told I could live like a king.

30,000 pesos and I would be comfortable, they said.

BUT... Each person has a different comfort level.

I live on about 60,000 pesos per month, and my standard of living is lower than I had in Australia. My main expense is accommodation though, as I CHOOSE to live in something larger than most locals. An 80 sqm property. Less than half the size of my house in Australia.

A Filipino can live comfortably on 20,000 though, and support their family at the same time

That 20,000 would barely pay for my English Cheese, Australian Yogurt, Australian Steak !! etc.

As I said, it comes down to what you want in the level of comfort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.