Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Philippine Driving License

Philippine Driving License

Old Jun 8th 2018, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Philippine Driving License

Apparently not, as I my neighbour was issued with his first licence without a 12 month visa at the date of his application
Old Jun 8th 2018, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

It appears to me that LTO offices. BI and all other Government Agencies have their own interpretation of rules and regulations.

I shall be applying for my UK license to be converted to a Phils license next month.

Regards
Old Jun 8th 2018, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Got my Philippine driving licence 2 weeks ago. Tried about 6 months ago and even though our neighbor had connections with the top man they would not issue me a licence unless I could prove that I was going to be here for 1 year. I do have a balikbayan stamp but it was not acceptable. I even tried to get a learner licence which could easily get me a full licence after a month. This was also refused.
Having applied for a getting a 13a visa, made the application easy. Took about 1 hour and they exchanged my U.K. license for a Philippine licence. Cost about 625 pesos.Although many foreigners drive without the appropriate licence I would not risk it in case of an accident.
incidently , I have found insurance more expensive here than the U.K.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikek1
Got my Philippine driving licence 2 weeks ago. Tried about 6 months ago and even though our neighbor had connections with the top man they would not issue me a licence unless I could prove that I was going to be here for 1 year. I do have a balikbayan stamp but it was not acceptable. I even tried to get a learner licence which could easily get me a full licence after a month. This was also refused.
Having applied for a getting a 13a visa, made the application easy. Took about 1 hour and they exchanged my U.K. license for a Philippine licence. Cost about 625 pesos.Although many foreigners drive without the appropriate licence I would not risk it in case of an accident.
incidently , I have found insurance more expensive here than the U.K.
Depending upon what you are driving the mandatory minimum cover you get at the LTO from a franchise is probably enough as the insurance company will probably not pay out anyway. Also even if yu have atop of the range policy it will probably be rejected at the lto who will insist on the franchise version...something to do with commissions maybe??
Old Jun 8th 2018, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Read my message. You can only drive for 3 months on a foreign license. You should accompany your license with your passport which shows your date of entry. The chances of being caught in violation are slim, however should you be involved in a accident the penalty could be life changing.
Others had said that obtaining a Philippine driving license is dependent on which LTO office you apply, I can assure that is no longer the case, the days of under the counter dealing are very rare indeed.
My moto is do do everything legally, if you have nothing to hide then you will encounter no problems.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

liam_neeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bazza070958
Hi .... 10 days till I fly out ..... cant wait. My good lady is in the process of purchasing me a Kymco 300i Scooter. Please can anyone advise how I go about getting a Philippine license. I'm pretty sure I've read possibly on here that I will need an ACR before I can gain a license and ride the bike.
However when I've been in the Philippines before I've never been asked for anything when hiring.
Therefore can I ask if you think I'm taking too much of a risk if I take the bike out on the road locally to do shopping etc. And await later till I get the license to go further afield. Many Thanks Baz
ACR holders are not entitled to an LTO driver's licence. You need an ICR. Or some other status proving you have legal rights to live there a year+. Assuming you do?

Last edited by liam_neeson; Jun 20th 2018 at 4:20 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
It seems that you have to be a resident via 13A or on the Retirement Scheme. Have not found the reasoning for the change, yet!
Tourists do not need one, as they can drive on their own nation's DL.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by laurenceinarabia
Not correct. Balik bayan visa is 12 months a free on entry. Just had confirmed that this is fine to get my Philippine DL
Why do people keep saying this? There is no such thing as a "Balikbayan Visa". I have never even seen a "Balikbayan Stamp". They used to just give you an entry stamp with "BB" handwritten in there. Used to have a couple kids that were foreigners.

Last edited by liam_neeson; Jun 20th 2018 at 4:33 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
To avail of the Balikbayan visa, "one must enter the country, with a Filipino spouse."
There is no such visa as the "BBV". Or did Duterte create a new visa recently?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liam_neeson
Tourists do not need one, as they can drive on their own nation's DL.
Tourists are limited to 3 months from the time of entry.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Why do people keep saying this? There is no such thing as a "Balikbayan Visa".
I always got one when I used to arrive with the missus, valid for 1 year, no cost.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Tourists are limited to 3 months from the time of entry.
Who tours a country longer than 3 months driving their own vehicle?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I always got one when I used to arrive with the missus, valid for 1 year, no cost.
They must have just implemented it this year? In 20 years they have never had such a thing.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Liam,

I have always got a b/b visa when entering the Philippines with my Filipino wife, and that’s was for the past 25 years. A Foreigner is allowed to drive on their home country licence for 90 days. Many foreigners continue to drive after this has expired, however should they be involved in an accident the consequences could be severe.
Many foreigners have the false impression that driving in the Philippines carries no regulations and anything goes. This is totally wrong.
I recently overlooked the fact that the car needed it’s anual tax payment, which resulted in having to pay an additional fine of Php 3400.Living here permanent I realized that to drive here legally it was imperative that a 13a visa or SRRV was acquired, which is why I now have a 13a visa.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Philippine Driving License

There is no such visa as the "BBV". Or did Duterte create a new visa recently?
I had my first one in September 1982.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.