Passport renewal

Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Kawasaki_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Passport renewal

I am a resident here in Manila. I have just noticed that I only have two pages left on my passport. I lived in mainland China for 7 years and needed 3 new passports during that time. I just popped across to Hong Kong and got a new one from the Embassy, no problem. I have now been informed that the Embassy no longer issue new passports. It appears that it has to be done by mail and will take months!

Has anyone been through the process? Is there any other way to do it?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal

Unless it's an emergency passport I don't see any other way of doing it other than online which takes 8 weeks.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 7:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kawasaki_Mike
I am a resident here in Manila. I have just noticed that I only have two pages left on my passport. I lived in mainland China for 7 years and needed 3 new passports during that time. I just popped across to Hong Kong and got a new one from the Embassy, no problem. I have now been informed that the Embassy no longer issue new passports. It appears that it has to be done by mail and will take months!

Has anyone been through the process? Is there any other way to do it?
The UK now does all passport renewals via the UK, not sure just where in the UK you will need to send it, but many go to Durham. Yes it takes quite a long time, officially 8 weeks, but due to the high traffic volume it's actually longer at the moment.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Kawasaki_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Further to my last. I called the UK Helpline and a very helpful individual told me that because it was a renewal because of lack of pages I could photocopy every page (in colour) and would not have to send my passport. I pointed out to them that asking an individual to post their passport back to UK for 3 months would require the person to break local laws which are punishable by confinement. These laws are almost universal. The person I was speaking to was aware of this but was not allowed to comment!!
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Latest information, for UK Citizens in Philippines:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...wing_new/adult

If you have an ACR ID then that is valid in Philippines. If not a photocopy of the information page, of your UK passport. Anyone residing here for more than six months will have an ACR.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Its a huge issue at the moment. They have stopped issuing passports (except emergency passports which are only good for one trip) at overseas consulates and do them all in the UK. They have obviously not prepared themselves properly and it is now taking up to 3 months to get your passport renewed. See the following thread on the mid-east forum :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834304

If you really don't want to be without a passport for 2-3 months then the best way is to go back to the UK and take advantage of their Premium Service. You have to make an appointment in advance (over the phone) and you can get a new passport in 4 hours. You can make an appointment at a number of passport offices scattered around the UK.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 9:34 am
Just Joined

swazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hong_konger
Its a huge issue at the moment. They have stopped issuing passports (except emergency passports which are only good for one trip) at overseas consulates and do them all in the UK. They have obviously not prepared themselves properly and it is now taking up to 3 months to get your passport renewed. See the following thread on the mid-east forum :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834304

If you really don't want to be without a passport for 2-3 months then the best way is to go back to the UK and take advantage of their Premium Service. You have to make an appointment in advance (over the phone) and you can get a new passport in 4 hours. You can make an appointment at a number of passport offices scattered around the UK.
It`s painless and efficient, why sweat it? so long as you don`t foresee a trip in the next couple of months, your ACR card, valid photo driving license are acceptable ID, and always keep a zerox of documents. Passports due to expire in advance of 6 months or less will be credited to the new passport, mine and assorted friend had ours back within on average 5 weeks
Old Jun 10th 2014, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Well as long as you have no plans to travel in the next 4 to 5 months then of course that's fine, because that is how long it is taking for them to process "some" passports that have been applied for from overseas.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:03 am
Just Joined

swazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps a call to the hotline will confirm whether there are delays, it sounds like the guy is hanging around for a while, and the furthet in to UK holiday season, the more likely of delays occuring?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

After they stopped processing new passports here in Hong Kong (at the end of last year) it was initially ok. A friend of mine got his renewed in 3 week by couriering it off to UK. But gradually as the UK summer has approached the back-log has got worse. Apparently passport renewals from applications within the UK undergo a less severe security check. Those applications from overseas, particularly new applications are checked thoroughly.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hong_konger
After they stopped processing new passports here in Hong Kong (at the end of last year) it was initially ok. A friend of mine got his renewed in 3 week by couriering it off to UK. But gradually as the UK summer has approached the back-log has got worse. Apparently passport renewals from applications within the UK undergo a less severe security check. Those applications from overseas, particularly new applications are checked thoroughly.
Expensive but do you have anyone in the UK. Fedex them the old passport and have them submit it then Fedex back again
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

You have to be in the UK yourself to apply from within the UK. That's stated on the website.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:34 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The backlogs at the UK passport offices have started to make the national news, together with a photo of stacked applications in boxes. The government is 'unhappy' and have told the passport offices to 'sort it out'. Seeing as the only way will be to employ more staff, then I suspect they will have to do something, after all tehy did decide to do all renewals in the UK to save costs overseas, so they may have to use some of that saved money. The Government here do NOT want to antagonise voters with an election coming next year, so it may well have some effect.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:46 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Passport renewal

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The backlogs at the UK passport offices have started to make the national news, together with a photo of stacked applications in boxes. The government is 'unhappy' and have told the passport offices to 'sort it out'. Seeing as the only way will be to employ more staff, then I suspect they will have to do something, after all tehy did decide to do all renewals in the UK to save costs overseas, so they may have to use some of that saved money. The Government here do NOT want to antagonise voters with an election coming next year, so it may well have some effect.
You can see the photos here:

Passport backlog hits 500k and holidaymakers told to pay £55 or risk losing summer break | Mail Online
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:48 am
Concierge

Passport office have drafted in an extra 250 staff to sort out the backlog.

From BBC breakfast twitter feed.

BBC Breakfast ‏@BBCBreakfast 3m

Minister @JBrokenshire tells #bbcbreakfast 250 extra staff have been drafted in to deal with the current passport application backlog.

BBC Breakfast ‏@BBCBreakfast 5m

Immigration minister @JBrokenshire tells us passport applications at a 12 year high, and normal busy summer period started earlier this year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.