ORs

Old May 22nd 2018, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default ORs

I bet for many of you, like me, it's a toss up whether you file away an OR or not. But after an experience with the MMDA recently I am going to make sure I keep all of them. I recommend you do the same.

A couple of years ago my car was towed away in Manila for illegal parking. Went to the compound in Pasig next morning with my son in law, paid them about P4,000 to release it from their muddy field. It could have been more if I didn't have a good idea of distances in Manila. "Oh, sorry Sir, I read that (distance towed) first digit as a 2, not a 1" !. My licence was a few weeks expired, so my son in law showed his.

Fast forward to last week, my son in law went to the MMDA to renew his licence. At the supposed end of the process, they told him to go to "clearance" as there is an illegal parking violation. Despite a protest he had to go. He got seen two hours later and they asked him for proof he had paid at the compound. Of course, he didn't have it, and after a search nor do I. Being Filipino and a big and forceful guy he argued his case, quite reasonably, that there was no way you could get your car released from there without paying. There were a number of offices to go through, I remember. After a while they gave up on that, but, by now, exhausted, he did end up paying them again a P500, which was a second much smaller payment I had apparently made before the vehicle was released.
Old May 22nd 2018, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ORs

Raffin,

Agree completely. I went to BI a week or so ago to renew my tourist visa which I received on re-entry to the Philippines about 2 months ago. My passport clearly showed the date of entry and the 59 day extended visa which I had applied for with the expiration date. They asked for proof that I had actually paid for this at the airport 2 months ago. I told them that I would not have been issued with an extension if it were not paid for. They demanded proof of payment otherwise I would have to pay again. Fortunately, I had kept the receipt which was scrutinized intensely. Seems to me they will try anything to extort money from the foreigner. I use the word "extort" advisedly.

Regards
Old May 22nd 2018, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

..and, P11, probably also from meek, poor looking locals. Glad it wasn't me renewing my licence! Why on earth were the payment details not there for my illegal parking? Or perhaps they were? Or could be easily found? Once I went to a Shell Gas station here to query a doubled credit card entry. My single transaction from a few weeks previously was found on their system in a few minutes. Admittedly organizations like the MMDA are much bigger, but to balance that they do get tax payer's money to potentially fund good systems.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

liam_neeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Raffin
I bet for many of you, like me, it's a toss up whether you file away an OR or not. But after an experience with the MMDA recently I am going to make sure I keep all of them. I recommend you do the same.

A couple of years ago my car was towed away in Manila for illegal parking. Went to the compound in Pasig next morning with my son in law, paid them about P4,000 to release it from their muddy field. It could have been more if I didn't have a good idea of distances in Manila. "Oh, sorry Sir, I read that (distance towed) first digit as a 2, not a 1" !. My licence was a few weeks expired, so my son in law showed his.

Fast forward to last week, my son in law went to the MMDA to renew his licence. At the supposed end of the process, they told him to go to "clearance" as there is an illegal parking violation. Despite a protest he had to go. He got seen two hours later and they asked him for proof he had paid at the compound. Of course, he didn't have it, and after a search nor do I. Being Filipino and a big and forceful guy he argued his case, quite reasonably, that there was no way you could get your car released from there without paying. There were a number of offices to go through, I remember. After a while they gave up on that, but, by now, exhausted, he did end up paying them again a P500, which was a second much smaller payment I had apparently made before the vehicle was released.
Curious why the MMDA cares about his car at all. Most MMDA people take jeeps or motorbikes to work anyway.