New guy on the block

Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Dogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New guy on the block

Hello everyone, just a line or two to introduce myself. I'm 66 and have been retired for 13 months in Cebu city Philippines. I am from Nottinghamshire in England. I live in a condo on the outskirts of the city with my girlfriend. Apart from the usual foreigner moans which I find more amusing than anything, I love it here. Must say some things took a lot of getting used to but now I'm settled and not going back. Bugged at paying UK taxes on my pensions when I already paid tax when I earn't them.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New guy on the block

Originally Posted by Dogbreath66
Hello everyone, just a line or two to introduce myself. I'm 66 and have been retired for 13 months in Cebu city Philippines. I am from Nottinghamshire in England. I live in a condo on the outskirts of the city with my girlfriend. Apart from the usual foreigner moans which I find more amusing than anything, I love it here. Must say some things took a lot of getting used to but now I'm settled and not going back. Bugged at paying UK taxes on my pensions when I already paid tax when I earn't them.
There is a dual tax agreement between UK and Philippines. You can elect to pay all your tax in the Philippines which do not tax overseas earnings ( i.e. pensions ). A bit of paperwork here in the Philippines with the tax office to get the right paperwork but it results in no UK tax.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New guy on the block

The double taxation agreement with the Philippines only applies to PRIVATE pensions.
State and government pensions ( fire, Police, Teachers, military etc) are specifically excluded. If your UK income exceeds the tax free allowance, HMRC will deduct tax from either your government pension or your private pensions.
They are not allowed to deduct tax from your State pension.
If you only have State and/or government pensions then you cannot elect to pay tax here - this applies to my wife for instance.

There are a few( 4 at last count) countries where you CAN get these pensions paid tax free but only if you show you are resident and registered for tax in that country.

Look up "double taxation agreements" on HMRC website for full details.
At least we get the annual increase here!
Old Sep 8th 2014, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New guy on the block

Originally Posted by Dogbreath66
You do not pay tax on the money paided into a UK pension, you either pay gross or the government gives you the tax back in which case for every £100 you pay into a pension the government puts in £20 on top of your £100 (at currnet tax rates).