Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Need a little foody and football help

Need a little foody and football help

Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:50 am
Just Joined

WhiteBlood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need a little foody and football help

Hi guys and girls,

I've been having a little trouble in searching online for a decent, family friendly, AUTHENTIC, British style pub/restaurant in or around Manila.

My wife is a Filipina, and this June we shall be visiting her family and celebrating my 30th birthday there. As Ruby, my wife is the only member of her family to have visited the UK, I want to treat her family to an "English" (I always think of the Goodness Gracious Me scene when I say that!) meal and experience. We always take stuff out there to try etc, but it would be nice to actually relax and have a proper feel for home, and see their faces when they try some decent bitters and ales for a change

We'll be staying in Obando, Bulacan, just on the outskirts of Northern Metro Manila, and are happy to travel within a reasonable distance to find a place, but I'm literally basing views on reviews I am reading online, but they can be hard to trust, so I'd like to know if anyone here has any recommendations of places. Beer isn't essential, but the quality and authenticity of food is.

And on a side note, as we'll be there for the group stages of the world cup, I know the times will make the games kick off in the early hours of the morning, but does anyone know if the games are shown live on free tv there, or again, anywhere within reasonable distance from Obando that will show them live. Would rather avoid the girly bars, Filipina women are attractive, but that kind of thing isn't for me, but if it means I get to see at least the England games, I'll try and ignore it.

Thanks for your help people in advance
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a little foody and football help

Originally Posted by WhiteBlood
Hi guys and girls,

I've been having a little trouble in searching online for a decent, family friendly, AUTHENTIC, British style pub/restaurant in or around Manila.

My wife is a Filipina, and this June we shall be visiting her family and celebrating my 30th birthday there. As Ruby, my wife is the only member of her family to have visited the UK, I want to treat her family to an "English" (I always think of the Goodness Gracious Me scene when I say that!) meal and experience. We always take stuff out there to try etc, but it would be nice to actually relax and have a proper feel for home, and see their faces when they try some decent bitters and ales for a change

We'll be staying in Obando, Bulacan, just on the outskirts of Northern Metro Manila, and are happy to travel within a reasonable distance to find a place, but I'm literally basing views on reviews I am reading online, but they can be hard to trust, so I'd like to know if anyone here has any recommendations of places. Beer isn't essential, but the quality and authenticity of food is.

And on a side note, as we'll be there for the group stages of the world cup, I know the times will make the games kick off in the early hours of the morning, but does anyone know if the games are shown live on free tv there, or again, anywhere within reasonable distance from Obando that will show them live. Would rather avoid the girly bars, Filipina women are attractive, but that kind of thing isn't for me, but if it means I get to see at least the England games, I'll try and ignore it.

Thanks for your help people in advance
There are some sports bars in the Burgos street Makati area. not sure if any could be described as a british pub but they are not all girly bars

Other side of Metro area in Alabang Festival Mall is Union Jack pub, you will probably find what you are looking for their and they have an imported deli section. this place is very expensive so do not be surprised that for food and drink you are looking at a minimum of 1000 pesos per head, which by local standards is regarded as expensive, so will probably impress the family.

Many imported beers, cans and bottles, not sure what if any draft beers are available
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to put a downer on your obvious generousity but I wouldn't waste your time and money. The family will not appreciate you trying to feed them food they are not accustom to. Whenever we have tied to take the family for a treat they always just take the fish soup and rice they are accustom too.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I don't want to put a downer on your obvious generousity but I wouldn't waste your time and money. The family will not appreciate you trying to feed them food they are not accustom to. Whenever we have tied to take the family for a treat they always just take the fish soup and rice they are accustom too.
too true
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

WhiteBlood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gazza-d

Not so I'm afraid. I often cook English and European dishes for them when I am over there, and they love it. They appreciate the fact that I am willing to try, and often love, Filipino dishes, and they too are keen on trying new foods. We even bought my mother in law a British cook book last year, which she has used often.

But I'm not a fan of hot weather (married a woman from the wrong Islands really ) and cooking in Philippines heat is a horrible experience, so I certainly don't want to be doing that for my birthday.

As for the sports bars, they don't have to be British, they just have to have beer, and football, and that will equal a happy me!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhiteBlood
Not so I'm afraid. I often cook English and European dishes for them when I am over there, and they love it. They appreciate the fact that I am willing to try, and often love, Filipino dishes, and they too are keen on trying new foods. We even bought my mother in law a British cook book last year, which she has used often.

But I'm not a fan of hot weather (married a woman from the wrong Islands really ) and cooking in Philippines heat is a horrible experience, so I certainly don't want to be doing that for my birthday.

As for the sports bars, they don't have to be British, they just have to have beer, and football, and that will equal a happy me!
The only place I can think of for a sports bar is what used to be called Matrix Bar in Makati
Old Apr 1st 2014, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

swazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mikemike
There are some sports bars in the Burgos street Makati area. not sure if any could be described as a british pub but they are not all girly bars

Other side of Metro area in Alabang Festival Mall is Union Jack pub, you will probably find what you are looking for their and they have an imported deli section. this place is very expensive so do not be surprised that for food and drink you are looking at a minimum of 1000 pesos per head, which by local standards is regarded as expensive, so will probably impress the family.

Many imported beers, cans and bottles, not sure what if any draft beers are available
Yes the Union Jack is pretty good, frankly filipino who haven`t travelled are very pedestrian in their food tastes. A slap up meal in a lechon restaurant or filipino place would be better appreciated.
Ask in the Union Jack concerning the footy, i`m sure places will show it, remember many places are 24 hours so it`s not a problem. The Duck in and LA cafe in Ermita will certainly televise it, that`s a guarantee, google them