Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Moving to Manila in July 2018

Moving to Manila in July 2018

Old Feb 3rd 2017, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Angel1403 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Manila in July 2018

Hi folks,

My wife and I will be moving to Manila in July 2018. I had planned to wait until 2019, but life is too short, so we decided to do it next year.

We will be renting a condo in Quezon City, nearby to SM North Edsa.

I would be grateful for any advice in relation to anything members would suggest we organise/do here or at the London Philippines Embasy Before we move to Manila?

Thank you in advance
Old Feb 4th 2017, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Manila in July 2018

1. Is your wife a Filipina?
2. If so , you will be able to apply for either a 1 year Balikbayan visa on arrival but must leave each year for 24 hours to renew it , a 13A visa which she has to sponsor you for or you can apply for an SRRV visa if retiring here - let us know your circumstances and we can advise the best way forward. If you go for an SRRV certain documents need legalising by the FCO then certifying by the Embassy - Saves a lot of time here.
3. Open an account with say, BPI in London then open a peso account here. This allows you to easily, and cheaply, transfer sterling at a good exchange rate.
4. apply for a 59 day visa at the embassy which gives you time to decide how to proceed once you arrive. you can get it at the airport on arrival but it's slightly cheaper from the Embassy.

If you would be good enough to give us a few more details such as where your income will come from when here, your age - the SRRV has different levels depending on your age - then people here who have done it all will be able to give you more relevant advice.We can also advise on income tax etc.
for example, my wife and i retired here, our income is UK pensions and we have an SRRV as my wife is English. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like!
Old Feb 4th 2017, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
1. Is your wife a Filipina?
2. If so , you will be able to apply for either a 1 year Balikbayan visa on arrival but must leave each year for 24 hours to renew it , a 13A visa which she has to sponsor you for or you can apply for an SRRV visa if retiring here - let us know your circumstances and we can advise the best way forward. If you go for an SRRV certain documents need legalising by the FCO then certifying by the Embassy - Saves a lot of time here.
All good advise but to add a problem I came across with applying for a 13a visa. My wife was divorced in the UK from her former British husband. BI claimed that I could not get a 13a because the Philippines did not accept divorce. Not too sure if this was true or just a ploy by them to fleece money out of me. I went for a SRRV, easy and no problems.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Hi folks,

Thank you for the excellent information.....much appreciated.

Yes my wife is Filipino and still has Filipino passport. In UK on ILR now.

I will be 54 in 2018. Plan to use flat sale proceeds to live in Manila until my work pension kicks in when I am 60.

I had planned to wait until I'm 55 or 60 at the latest, but really, life is too short, I have been working since I was 16. I want to be able to enjoy time with my wife in Manila while still youngish lol. We realise we will need to budget, but it's defiantly possible, even allowing for peso fluctuations. There is more to life than money hehe.

We plan to rent a Condo in Grass Residences in Quezon City as its close to SM North Edsa and my wife's cousin and husband, who is my buddy lives nearby to SM North Edsa. We have no plans to buy a condo, just rent a 1 bedroom unit, as most of our time will be out in the amenities or SM North Edsa etc. WE will initially rent for 2 months, then 6 then 12 if we like the unit and reduced rental offer for longer term rental.

If we don't like a unit we can easily move, to another unit or Condo complex. We also like Shell Residences at MOA having stayed there before.

I'm sure there are many good rental deals available, given the huge amount of new builds. Indeed, we had a monthly rental quote drop 5k per month in 1 hour hehe.

How about decent medical insurance? Any recommendations?

Thanks again for any advice.......very much appreciated.

Cheers
Allan
Old Feb 4th 2017, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Do UK passport holders also need to go through the medical tests to get the SSRV? If so, is it the same if applied for while in the Philippines?

I have been advised no medical tests are required when applying for 13a when already in Philippines.

I ask because I don't like medical tests lol

Its strange how they appear to like medical tests for Visa applicants wishing to settle in the Philippines, yet in the UK its not a requirement for Filipinos coming here?

Cheers
Old Feb 4th 2017, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

The situation in 2003:
Yes medical tests required, but you choose the clinic.
Then it's off to Department of Quarantine, to have it certified, and an entry to that effect in your passport.
Your UK Driving Licence is good for ninety days. Then you obtain a Filipino one. Which you renew every three years, on your birthday. A drug test is involved, a urine sample.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angel1403
Do UK passport holders also need to go through the medical tests to get the SSRV? If so, is it the same if applied for while in the Philippines?

I have been advised no medical tests are required when applying for 13a when already in Philippines.

I ask because I don't like medical tests lol

Its strange how they appear to like medical tests for Visa applicants wishing to settle in the Philippines, yet in the UK its not a requirement for Filipinos coming here?

Cheers
Medical is required for SRRV, consists of questionnaire from doctor, any ailments, counting of legs and arms etc & BP check, then chest X-ray ( for TB I think ), then urine and stool tests. Cost was about P1,600 but I spent all day in the hospital as they won't do all the tests and then let you go and come back later for the results. I am sure someone else can advise about medical requirements for a 13a.

As for liking medical tests ( you even need quite an extensive one to be a check-out chick at the supermarket ) they are nearly all hypochondriacs and are convinced they they and nearly everyone else has some dreadful lurgy.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

There is a blood test as well, that includes one for AIDS.
If you have a facility near you, that employs a few thousand people. Definitely use one of the clinics local to that. Quick, easy and cheaper. Plus a lot less hassle.
Oh as the urine sample, is used for a drug test. You will need to write down, any medication you are on.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
There is a blood test as well, that includes one for AIDS.
If you have a facility near you, that employs a few thousand people. Definitely use one of the clinics local to that. Quick, easy and cheaper. Plus a lot less hassle.
Oh as the urine sample, is used for a drug test. You will need to write down, any medication you are on.
We got list of tests, went to HP Precision, did them all, went back next morning to collect results, back to GP , she signed off the SRRV form.Done. Cost about 1500pesos IIRC but it's 4 years ago. Mind you, my wife had Chest Xray, full bloods and urinalysis last week at our local (new) LH Prime - total cost 400pesos. Done in 25 minutes, results ready 3 hours later!
Old Feb 5th 2017, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Good going there Quiltman. Luckily I am now on six month check ups. Lots of blood tests, urine analysis, with an assortment of scans, and ultrasounds. The latter on a sort of rotational basis.
Chong Hua only accept the test results, from their own labs.

Yes the full range of tests back in 2003 were somewhere around P1000. I used the clinic, opposite Mitsumi. There was a further amount to pay, in the Quarantine clinic in NRA, near White Gold.

A funny one:
Before I had my gall bladder removed. I had to go for regular abdominal scans. Well the most convenient place was a clinic in Danao. I was very surprised on looking at the results, to see a note: Congratulations on your pregnancy, plus a very helpful leaflet. However, my gall bladder scan and results, were also in there. In fairness, it is mainly a maternity clinic.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the information 😀 very useful.

Now I understand why many guys go the Balikbayan privilege route.

Cheers
Old Feb 5th 2017, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Angel1403
Hi folks,

My wife and I will be moving to Manila in July 2018. I had planned to wait until 2019, but life is too short, so we decided to do it next year.

We will be renting a condo in Quezon City, nearby to SM North Edsa.

I would be grateful for any advice in relation to anything members would suggest we organise/do here or at the London Philippines Embasy Before we move to Manila?

Thank you in advance
One other thing if you are moving for good and that is to organise someone in the UK to send Balikbayan boxes when required. There is always a list of 'I wish I had brought XXX with me' after you arrive.