Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Motorbiking in the Philippines

Motorbiking in the Philippines

Old Aug 19th 2013, 6:45 am
Just Joined

2Cats2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motorbiking in the Philippines

Hi. I'm a new subscriber to the forum. Planning on moving to the Philippines in a couple of weeks time for an indefinite stay/retirement. For transport around the city and vicinity (Davao City) I'm planning on purchasing a motorbike. I'm experienced with motorbiking both in the Philippines and elsewhere. Well aware of the risks and dangers.

Can anyone give advice on legal matters? My UK driving licence should be good for 90 days. Then I need to get a Philippines license. Where to get this in Davao city?

How about insurance? What is the legal minimum requirement? Is it worth getting any more than this?

Anyone with local knowledge… Advice would be appreciated.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorbiking in the Philippines

Okay. It is very simple to get your licence. I have written about this on another thread.

Go to the local LTO: Land Transport Office. You will need certain forms, to start the ball rolling.
You need a drug test, at an authorised testing station. The results will be given you in a sealed envelope.
Then you need a medical. This is carried out at the local town hall.

For your first licence:
You will need the signature of the local mayor or his authorised representative. Stating that you are resident in the area etc.
You have a brief interview with the local police chief.
This will be within the town hall.

Renewal is dead easy, and takes less than a day.

At the LTO you show your foreign licence, which is returned. Your entitlements are the same as on your foreign licence. Then you have your picture taken.
A licence is issued for three years. Renewable on your birthday.

Here in Cebu there is an LTO centre in SM NRA.

First licence will cost you just over P1000. Renewals just under.

For full details look for my previous post.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768531
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:48 am
Just Joined

2Cats2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds fairly straightforward… Although I imagine there's a fair amount awaiting involved. I'll take a book.

I want to make sure I'm "squeakyclean" riding a motorbike in the Philippines. My UK licence will do for 90 days, but may as well get a Philippines one from the beginning and make things easier with the police.

Having been here quite a few times, in different places, I'm conscious that sometimes I am a target with the police. Having a white face and a large nose, I get stopped when locals do not. Usually sort this out by paying a "donation"… 500 pesos or so. Is this too much??

Things I have been stopped for:

Not wearing a helmet. I had one but forgot to put it on and 10 seconds later was stopped. All the Filipinos around me riding motorbikes… No helmet.

My passenger not wearing a helmet. I gave her one and she put it on. She took it off for a few seconds to adjust her hair. Stopped immediately. She didn't pay the fine… I did.

Not wearing a helmet in Davao city with the compulsory silver sticker. I bought a sticker from the policeman. 500 pesos. Now my helmet has a sticker.

Going the wrong way up a poorly signed one-way street. Both times I realised within 5-10 seconds… But too late. I got stopped.

I guess this is fairly normal and I just go with the flow. Much easier to pay a small donation than go through the whole legal system. Does everyone else do this??
Old Aug 24th 2013, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
Okay. It is very simple to get your licence. I have written about this on another thread.

Go to the local LTO: Land Transport Office. You will need certain forms, to start the ball rolling.
You need a drug test, at an authorised testing station. The results will be given you in a sealed envelope.
Then you need a medical. This is carried out at the local town hall.

For your first licence:
You will need the signature of the local mayor or his authorised representative. Stating that you are resident in the area etc.
You have a brief interview with the local police chief.
This will be within the town hall.

Renewal is dead easy, and takes less than a day.

At the LTO you show your foreign licence, which is returned. Your entitlements are the same as on your foreign licence. Then you have your picture taken.
A licence is issued for three years. Renewable on your birthday.

Here in Cebu there is an LTO centre in SM NRA.

First licence will cost you just over P1000. Renewals just under.

For full details look for my previous post.
for conversion a UK licence to a PH licence you go to the main LTO office took me 6 hours ......mayor/police are you sure medical carried out by the town hall where did you read that. the drug test is a urine test and maybe that has already been quasshed I have a Phillipine licence. what do you do copy and paste
Old Aug 24th 2013, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry Tropic i just don't agree with you with you on so many topics,,,,,,never mind at least you don't try to charge for your info like ebooks etc as some others do.Good luck and long life................
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

It is so easy and yes you can run for 90 days then if you want a Philippine licence its also easy , never throw 500 peso anywhere,,,its a conversion from a foreign licence and even on the board it said the exam is only needed if the foreign licence has expired i still had to do the exam....So being an ex trucker i,m going for goal the lady said some are worded for the filipino if your not sure don't answer and dont mark the card....so out of 40 i answered 22 a few i wasnt sure about anyway this big hairy trucker got a pass of 30 from 40 and guess what the pass mark was 30 just let them guide you say thank when you can , no need to throw 500 peso just a snack a consideration wow..........you can do what you want here just let the locals guide you through and i still never had a mayor sign anything...........so ok how did you get your local licence

Was 31st jan not so cold i guess around 1000 peso but now i think the urine/drug test finished,,,no big deal either way
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

WEAR YOUR HELMET do not be like the rest of these foreign assholes i,m above the law
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ride Hard Ride Long and Ride Safe Bonne Route
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by piero
Sorry Tropic i just don't agree with you with you on so many topics,,,,,,never mind at least you don't try to charge for your info like ebooks etc as some others do.Good luck and long life................
Sorry I always give the correct information as I have found it to be. Or related to me by the authorities. I do not go in for plagiarism, and if I add to my post from official sources, I always clearly show the source. Such as the information I received from the British Embassy, regarding the floods in Manila. Those that do not subscribe would otherwise not know what is happening. That message was posted with all faults, as I received it. The medical exam has to be by an authorised person. In most places that is the medical examiner in the town hall. That being one of his many purposes. These days I go to SM in NRA. Everything in one place, including the medic, eye test etc.
The medical is a mandatory requirement here, and the medical officer opens the drug test result envelope. He may take your BP, and will ask some questions. I was not happy to be asked a week before my fifty-fifth birthday: "Do you feel capable to drive? After all you are very old already!" My answer was: In UK many drive into their eighties.

Always bear in mind, that requirements can change without warning. These days if you need glasses for driving. Not only is your licence thus marked, but your profile picture is taken with you wearing them.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Not around much, as I need to buy a new computer. My computer was given the last rites, the day after my car went in for a respray (long story). I don't fancy transporting a new computer on public transport. Not even a taxi.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
Sorry I always give the correct information as I have found it to be. Or related to me by the authorities. I do not go in for plagiarism, and if I add to my post from official sources, I always clearly show the source. Such as the information I received from the British Embassy, regarding the floods in Manila. Those that do not subscribe would otherwise not know what is happening. That message was posted with all faults, as I received it. The medical exam has to be by an authorised person. In most places that is the medical examiner in the town hall. That being one of his many purposes. These days I go to SM in NRA. Everything in one place, including the medic, eye test etc.
The medical is a mandatory requirement here, and the medical officer opens the drug test result envelope. He may take your BP, and will ask some questions. I was not happy to be asked a week before my fifty-fifth birthday: "Do you feel capable to drive? After all you are very old already!" My answer was: In UK many drive into their eighties.
the message you enterderd is too short wow never seen that before
well i di try to post lets have coffee twice but i think i,m bloxcked..ok blocked

Always bear in mind, that requirements can change without warning. These days if you need glasses for driving. Not only is your licence thus marked, but your profile picture is taken with you wearing them.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by piero
Sorry Tropic maybe i got a block,,, any way another time coffee if you want