Medical Costs

Old Dec 2nd 2020, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Costs

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
Greetings...

My Philhealth ends this month and now with the cost of renewal having been increased to 17k I no longer feel it is value for money,

What is everyone else using?

Thanks
No really good options here. Pacific Cross was reasonable for me up to my mid sixties with premiums about 25k when they asked me to shift to a much more expensive plan, which started at about 45k a year and had a schedule of yearly premiums that seemed to be the same as one's age, if one lived that long! I tried to do it for a year then had to give up. Looking at their website now they seem to have abandoned the "local" Expat health insurance market ie those not much interested in international cover.

I think Philhealth at 17k a year is not too bad considering that it allows pre-existing conditions. Important if in the future you suffer a series of events of the same condition or some overall condition which they can claim was a factor. It is an opaque scheme and the paperwork can be a bit difficult on site but it isn't true it just helps with in-patients. My wife had a series of eye tests which attracted a sizeable discount.

Philhealth coverage under your wife's policy? Maybe it continues for existing members but not for new, at least.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin

Philhealth coverage under your wife's policy? Maybe it continues for existing members but not for new, at least.
Yes Raffin, I should have made that plain, in my post. My wife still pays at the old rate. She has been a member for many years.
When I visited UK, I did take out travel insurance. However being over seventy, it was difficult to obtain. Nobody wants to insure you. So instead of using my insurance and/or getting involved, in an insurance claim, with the third party. I bit the bullet, and paid NHS directly.
I was honest about my non-resident status, from the outset. Settled my first bill immediately on receipt. So was surprised, when receiving my appointment, for cast removal, and further consultation. To find an information sheet, with dire warnings. Such as they will check your status, with HMRC, etc. Threats did not include boiling in oil, or anything similar. That might ultimately need medical, or funeral services. Just to put, the record straight.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with philhealth is that foreigners are no longer covered for the big stuff like heart ops, cancer treatment etc which we were before the changes..
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 4:19 pm
Banned

Elgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
Yes Raffin, I should have made that plain, in my post. My wife still pays at the old rate. She has been a member for many years.
When I visited UK, I did take out travel insurance. However being over seventy, it was difficult to obtain. Nobody wants to insure you. So instead of using my insurance and/or getting involved, in an insurance claim, with the third party. I bit the bullet, and paid NHS directly.
I was honest about my non-resident status, from the outset. Settled my first bill immediately on receipt. So was surprised, when receiving my appointment, for cast removal, and further consultation. To find an information sheet, with dire warnings. Such as they will check your status, with HMRC, etc. Threats did not include boiling in oil, or anything similar. That might ultimately need medical, or funeral services. Just to put, the record straight.
I'd be interested to know about your NHS experience. I haven't used it for many years. Did you have to show ID and National Insurance number when you turned up at A&E with your broken arm? The NHS is of course notorious for its health tourism, and Britain itself full of people with no NI. I certainly wouldn't have any moral qualms with using the service for free after paying in the full 35 years of National Insurance, particularly given that any one <<<SNIP>>> who washes up in the country gets the full works for free despite paying nothing.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 3rd 2020 at 9:03 pm. Reason: Racists remarks removed
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 8:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elgin1983
The NHS is of course notorious for its health tourism, and Britain itself full of people with no NI. I certainly wouldn't have any moral qualms with using the service for free...
...although not entitled to do so. Hypocrite.
... any featherless from who washes up in the country gets the full works for free despite paying nothing.
Nice bit of racism for your first post after your ban.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 3rd 2020 at 9:03 pm. Reason: Edit to quote
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS is of course notorious for its health tourism, and Britain itself full of people with no NI
That's not true, despite what you read in some media.

I certainly wouldn't have any moral qualms with using the service for free after paying in the full 35 years of National Insurance,
Your NI contributions actually have nothing to do with entitlement to use the NHS....

particularly given that any one <<<SNIP>>> who washes up in the country gets the full works for free despite paying nothing.
Any fact-free comment...

Anyone legally in the UK, including visitors, are entitled to free emergency care. They are however required to pay for any treatment received as either an in-patient or outpatient treatment charged at 150% of the treatment's actual cost.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Entitlement to NHS is based on residence, not on NI Contributions, but why let facts stand in the way of a racist comment ?
Old Dec 4th 2020, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

As regards my NHS Experience last year.
Following my accident 100% fault on behalf, of a British Citizen and lifelong resident. I first sought treatment, at a St. John's kiosk. Treatment in the form of an "ice-pack." Was free, after giving them, the address at which I was residing. They were unable to determine, if my arm was broken or not. The swelling, did not help. I was advised to go to the local "Memorial Hospital." If the pain did not subside or became worse.
It was soon obvious, that my suspicions of it being fractured were correct. So I ended up in the small, but local hospital. There were notices up, with the new rules. Which I knew anyway. I have always been honest, and law abiding. So when asked if I still lived at (address) I stated, that I still owned that property, but was now resident overseas. So no longer entitled, to free treatment. The receptionist, a pleasant and helpful lady, had me go to X-Ray. I was in the waiting area, when the bad news was broken (pun intended). I was taken to the reception desk, and given a form to fill out. I was told, that all the emergency treatment, I would be given today, would not be charged either way. It being just that: Emergency Treatment. Any further treatment would be, unless I satisfied, certain criteria.
I filled in the form honestly and correctly. It included my NI, the address I was staying, my address abroad, and a contact number. You are then asked to sign at the end, under a declaration, similar to that found on Tax Return forms. I wrote signed with a broken arm, signed and had the receptionist verify this was so.
A temporary cast was put on, and I was told, I would be given an appointment, at the main regional hospital, this via the Health Authority Responsible for the area. The appointment came, and I was advised that I would have to pay. I attended, and was told I would have to pay for treatment. I was attended to as a priority, and after all was finished, sent "home," and told I would receive a bill by post.
Bill arrived in my inbox, encrypted, with instructions, on how to read it. Bill was paid, over the phone, using a Credit Card.
Snail mail appointment arrived, to have cast removed. Warning I would be charged, and if I didn't, bad things would happen. We will confirm your status with HMRC, being one. Remember, I have already paid, the initial bill.
I arrive at the hospital for my appointment. I am told by the receptionist, that I will be charged. I mention, I have already paid the initial bill. She verifies this. I am taken to have my cast removed. The "collector" arrives, and I am taken into a side room. Details taken, and/or agreed. Immediately see consultant, then taken out by the "collector" to a none radio dead area! Where the further fee, is taken from my card. I am told receipt will be by e-mail, but it never happened.
Yes, I am an easy target; and I am also honest.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
As regards my NHS Experience last year.
Was free, after giving them, the address at which I was residing. They were unable to determine, if my arm was broken or not. The swelling, did not help.
Good thing, they provided, a lifetime supply of commas, to describe it all.

(Just mild ribbing, mate. An informative post otherwise.)

Last edited by abner; Dec 4th 2020 at 6:52 am.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 9:30 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Good thing, they provided, a lifetime supply of commas, to describe it all.

(Just mild ribbing, mate. An informative post otherwise.)
It's comma(n) to see in the NHS.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 8:28 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Feidlimid
The ambulance called to take me to hospital a few years back was quite an eye-opener. It had absolutely zilch in terms of medical equipment. No oxygen, no drips, no splints of any description and no drugs. The vehicle was totally bare apart from a stretcher and a couple of seats. I was told later that the persons who came with the ambulance (can’t really call them paramedics) were not authorised to give drugs. Not ideal if you need a defibrillator ++ ! Fat chance of one of those being on board. Morale of the story for us; next time we need to get to the hospital urgently, get the missus or a neighbour to flag down a local taxi, which will be much quicker in getting to the hospital. That way we won't have to waste time waiting for the 'ambulance' to arrive; it'll also be cheaper and just as effective.
Why was that an eye-opener?
Old Dec 4th 2020, 9:49 pm
Banned

Elgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the informative post, tropicofcancer. I wonder if they would have just waved you through if you had simply nodded when asked if you still lived at your address.

To the three stooges, the NHS is funded by National Insurance. If someone has paid it for 35+ years and the law says they don't have a right to use it, the law is an ass. Particularly when the same services are free to someone who showed up 6 months ago and has never paid a penny (and in many cases, never will). Do you think the many illegals living in London pay for their treatment? Of course if anyone were to ask for proof of legal residence, you can guess the r-word they would cry.

Just rankles to see honest hardworking Brits like tropicofcancer who worked and paid in their whole lives being forced to pay yet again, when freeloading chancers who shouldn't be in the country get it for free*, like everything else.

*funded by British taxpayers
Old Dec 5th 2020, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the informative post, tropicofcancer. I wonder if they would have just waved you through if you had simply nodded when asked if you still lived at your address.

To the three stooges, the NHS is funded by National Insurance. If someone has paid it for 35+ years and the law says they don't have a right to use it, the law is an ass. Particularly when the same services are free to someone who showed up 6 months ago and has never paid a penny (and in many cases, never will). Do you think the many illegals living in London pay for their treatment? Of course if anyone were to ask for proof of legal residence, you can guess the r-word they would cry.

Just rankles to see honest hardworking Brits like tropicofcancer who worked and paid in their whole lives being forced to pay yet again, when freeloading chancers who shouldn't be in the country get it for free*, like everything else.

*funded by British taxpayers
My thoughts too.
Old Dec 5th 2020, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Why was that an eye-opener?
Because according to the Philippines Department of Health (DOH) Administrative Order 2018-0001, there are a number of rules pertaining to ambulances which include how they should be manned and what equipment they should have. Here’s their definition of an ambulance:

‘Land Ambulance - a vehicle designed and equipped with basic or advance life support for transporting patients to, from, and between places of treatment by land.’

For those interested, you can read the full article here where basic and advance life support etc. are defined by the DOH. https://hfsrb.doh.gov.ph/wp-content/...o2018-0001.pdf By basic and advanced I take it to include equipment such as a defibrillator, and/ or a transport ventilator, and/ or an oxygen supply unit etc. Not for a second do I expect the Philippines to have the UK’s standard of ambulances, but to be transported in a ‘shell of a vehicle’, with not so much as a bandage or sticking plaster in sight ..., well yes, that was an eye opener.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

EnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond repute

To the three stooges, the NHS is funded by National Insurance.
I think you will find that the NHS id funded from general taxation as insisted on by Nye Bevan when it was founded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.