Living in the Philippines

Old Jun 26th 2003, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

mpearson58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in the Philippines

I have a Filipina girlfriend who for family reasons doesn't want to leave the Philippines. I am therefore considering whether or not it's feasable for me to move to the Philippines.
Can anyone please give me any information on living expenses etc. in the Philippines and how safe it is for Britons.
Old Jun 28th 2003, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Living in the Philippines

The Philippines is a fun place to live, and there are plenty of Brits who have chosen to live there.

However, I certainly wouldn't call it 'Asia for Beginers', there is quite a lot of poverty and it takes some geting used to! If you haven't been to South East Asia before expect some culture shock.

Obviously you would be able to live there if you married your girl friend, but there are many considerations regarding looking for work, well worth making some enquiries before you move.

Costs of living are vastly lower than in the UK, and you can have a great lifestyle for not a lot of money. Lots of Scuba Diving!!!

I would strongly recommend you go there for a few weeks and see how you feel about the place, you will either love it or hate it.............then decide!
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:47 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

Before deciding to go and live in the Philippines I urge you to pay a visit first and see if you would cope with living there long-term. It's a Third-World country, chaotic and with overwhelming poverty - people living on rubbish dumps or roundabouts etc. Beggars will accost you constantly if you're in a car stopped at traffic lights. However, there are some lovely beach resorts there and the Filipinas are extroverted and love to party. You should be able to find out living costs from the Chamber of Commerce (Manila) or the Philippine Embassy in London.

Which province is your girlfriend from? It is very dangerous in the South, particularly Mindanao where the Muslim seperatists have been kidnapping (and murdering) locals and Westerners.

We had expat friends who were posted to Manila and we visited them a few times. Getting through the airport (arriving and leaving) is tedious and hundreds of relatives wait outside the boundary fence to greet and meet the arrivals who have returned from overseas jobs; expecting gifts and money from the returnees. It's a remarkable thing to witness.

Our friends lived on a compound (at Forbes Park, Makati) and for safety there were armed guards at the entrance to their cul-de-sac. Their local recreation club asked drivers and security guards to deposit their guns at the entrance!!! I'm not saying that all of the Philippines is like this, it is most certainly not, but you need to be aware that anyone can carry a gun there and it's not uncommon for kidnappings to take place (especially around Christmastime and also amongst the ethnic Chinese population). Most expats employ a driver as if you get into an accident you could be at risk of being beaten up....let alone the poor driving skills and roads there. There are frequent power cuts

If you move there, what would you do for a living? The main business area is Makati, Manila and the bureacracy can be intimidating.

A word of warning; in the Far East many Asian societies expect everyone to pool their wealth and this is certainly the case in the Philippines. As a Westerner you will almost certainly be looked up to as the extended family will regard you as being very wealthy and a ticket to prosperity. You will be expected to provide gifts of cash (loans very unlikely to be repaid) to the whole family including distant cousins. An English colleague of my husband who worked at the company's Hong Kong office met a Filipina maid and they got married. He had a large house built in her province (near Cebu) and all of her family - including cousins - moved into it to "look after it" whilst he was in Hong Kong. He can't get them to move out and when he goes over for holidays he's like a stranger in his own home.

Even if you don't move to the Philippines but live with the Filipina or marry her, in time you will be expected to send money home for her (extended) family to support them as there is no welfare system out there and the family is expected to be the provider - could you cope with supporting elderly relatives or paying for their medical care?

I'm sorry to paint such a negative sounding picture, but as well as the pros, there are cons as well!
Old Jul 11th 2003, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

agudo is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is Filipina and we are now based in Manila due to my job. I've lived here for almost 3 years now and prior to my 6 years in China, I also worked here for about 2 years (met my wife here, we were colleagues).

It's true, whatever you've read so far here. Your quality of life in the Philippines also depends not just on where you will live, but your wife's family background. The class distinctions here are firmly observed by Philippines society, and that might take some getting used to for you.

Cost of living depends on where you live and your own lifestyle. If you can eat local (Filipinos tend to eat everything with legs, except a table), then your money will go a long way.

Take the warning about extended Filipino families to heart. I'm fortunate in that my wife is from a highly educated and very Westernized family, and I don't have too much of a problem with this. We do tend to have a lot of family reunions on Sundays.

I could go on and on about the Filipino culture, but do write in with your questions. I'd be happy to spare a fellow Brit a tear or so.
Old Aug 8th 2004, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Ceiniog is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Living in the Philippines

I have just spent 6 years living as an expat in Makati which was a brilliant experience. I thoroughly recommend you go out for a visit before deciding to move there permanently. I think it is a great place to go for a holiday, but I couldn't imagine living there indefinately because of the corruption and constant threat of kidnapping. I drove my own car and I found myself being a very aggressive driver to just blend in ... this of course has done nothing for my driving in Australia except make me a more patient person in traffic queues!

As a foreigner you are never really accepted by the locals and are expected to hand out money ("loans" on a regular basis to your employees without really expecting it to be given back).

Good luck with your decision.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

SuperDad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in the Philippines

Its hard to believe but It's true, whatever you've read so far here..

I had a phillipinos girlfriend ages ago but it was a nightmare especially with the family... always asking for money and help..that was all they were interested on.. and at the end.. I just quit.. but now I'm married to a Malaysian woman for 6 years now and have a daughter together and I have the most wonderful wife and in-laws.. totally different background.. different people.. but dont get me wrong, not all the phillipinos are like that...

I can undertand why your phillipino girlfriend doesn't want to leave the Philippines because Asian community are very family orientated.. they are very close-net family... and if you do want to move to phillipines, you need to do some homework first before you move into the country.. you need to find out where is the best place to stay and etc.

Good Luck.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Mayahani is on a distinguished road
Default Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines?

Dear Englishmum,

You seems to know very well about far east countries and I thought maybe you could give me some advise on this. I would like an honest opinion between Malaysia, Thailand and Phillipines which is a better place for retirement?? which country is offer better health treatments, safer environment, education and etc.

Your suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance