Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost to build a house?

How much does it cost to build a house?

Old Jun 20th 2020, 12:47 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does it cost to build a house?

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Although not in the Philippines, I've built two houses in Thailand and witnessed many others experiences over the years . I believe there are a lot of similarities between the two. Of course, everyone's budget is different but there are some general things that apply no matter what the size or budget.

Anyways, IME, avoid paying the builders a complete price for the whole job. You're just leaving yourself wide open here, to the use of inferior materials, cheaper materials, the wrong materials. Anything that means the builder can save money on a shortcut. Seen some houses built this way where the foreign owner doesn't have a clue how much he was ripped off. But a quick look at the fixtures and fittings, types of brick used can tell you an awful lot. Just because it looks okay, doesn't mean it is okay.

Pay for labour only!!! Can't stress this enough. It's a bit more of a pain to do the running around to builders' yards etc getting materials , but you guarantee getting what you want, the quality you want, and only paying for the quantity you want.

Also, different builders for different things. Just because someone makes a good post, doesn't mean they can lay a tile flat . Ask around, look at jobs they've done previously. Get recommendations. Personally we use Burmese guys these days because we've found they're more reliable with a better work ethic.

Get the job you want. Often builders like to do things a certain way. You're paying, you get to say how it's going to look, not the other way round. Be careful of over complicating things, a village builder might struggle with your ideas.

Pay step by step. Make sure that the builder has always done more work than you've paid him for. If he walks off the job, you've not lost anything.

Keep your builders happy. Buy them some beer or whiskey at the end of the day sometimes. Not every day but every two to three days. Simple things buy you loyalty.

Never employ family. Don't just accept whatever your partner says . Just because someone is from the Philippines doesn't make them an expert on building in the Philippines.

Building can be very stressful, but done right it can be very rewarding.
And I forgot to say that all of the above is on the presumption that you have an honest wife!! 😂😂

If not that's another matter !!! 🙁
Old Jun 20th 2020, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Although not in the Philippines, I've built two houses in Thailand and witnessed many others experiences over the years . I believe there are a lot of similarities between the two. Of course, everyone's budget is different but there are some general things that apply no matter what the size or budget.

Anyways, IME, avoid paying the builders a complete price for the whole job. You're just leaving yourself wide open here, to the use of inferior materials, cheaper materials, the wrong materials. Anything that means the builder can save money on a shortcut. Seen some houses built this way where the foreign owner doesn't have a clue how much he was ripped off. But a quick look at the fixtures and fittings, types of brick used can tell you an awful lot. Just because it looks okay, doesn't mean it is okay.

Pay for labour only!!! Can't stress this enough. It's a bit more of a pain to do the running around to builders' yards etc getting materials , but you guarantee getting what you want, the quality you want, and only paying for the quantity you want.

Also, different builders for different things. Just because someone makes a good post, doesn't mean they can lay a tile flat . Ask around, look at jobs they've done previously. Get recommendations. Personally we use Burmese guys these days because we've found they're more reliable with a better work ethic.

Get the job you want. Often builders like to do things a certain way. You're paying, you get to say how it's going to look, not the other way round. Be careful of over complicating things, a village builder might struggle with your ideas.

Pay step by step. Make sure that the builder has always done more work than you've paid him for. If he walks off the job, you've not lost anything.

Keep your builders happy. Buy them some beer or whiskey at the end of the day sometimes. Not every day but every two to three days. Simple things buy you loyalty.

Never employ family. Don't just accept whatever your partner says . Just because someone is from the Philippines doesn't make them an expert on building in the Philippines.

Building can be very stressful, but done right it can be very rewarding.
My house was a lump sum as we were in the UK, we had a relative with my video camera doing daily visits and filming everything, that kept the architect reasonably honest as he was told that if I saw anything not complying with his drawings it would be knocked back to that point and I might not see the video for up to 6 weeks later, as per contract. I withheld P500k until I had done my personal inspection as per contract, there were a few punch list items which to start with he tried to get out of, that was until I mentioned I would use the P500k to employ someone else to fix everything, within a week everything was fixed. The only major problem that I did not notice was the drain in the downstairs shower was the highest point in the room.
Old Jun 20th 2020, 5:10 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
My house was a lump sum as we were in the UK, we had a relative with my video camera doing daily visits and filming everything, that kept the architect reasonably honest as he was told that if I saw anything not complying with his drawings it would be knocked back to that point and I might not see the video for up to 6 weeks later, as per contract. I withheld P500k until I had done my personal inspection as per contract, there were a few punch list items which to start with he tried to get out of, that was until I mentioned I would use the P500k to employ someone else to fix everything, within a week everything was fixed. The only major problem that I did not notice was the drain in the downstairs shower was the highest point in the room.
Special gravity area. 😂
Old Jun 21st 2020, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Neither of my toilets back against the wall, one is about an inch away and the other nearer three inches.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

It is much easier to build a house these days. As there are many DIY/Builders places. With more choices of fittings and the like. When doing the finishing off. Always a good idea, to take one of the workers with you. To select the materials.
Yes, reward the workers. On "Sub-Day," and Pay Day, they had free food, Morning and Afternoon break, and lunchtime. On heavy work days, free food plus a pay premium of a quarter day's pay. Dirty job: Extra Pay. Stay late for a delivery of materials: Minimum of an extra hour's pay. We paid Bank Holidays as well. A happy workforce, is a good workforce. I found no fault with the work. After a bank holiday, they were there early. Getting everything ready for a good start. None of them having been paid, for a holiday. In their whole life.