Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

healthcare insurance what compny to choose

healthcare insurance what compny to choose

Old Sep 25th 2016, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Spalding UK : Cagayan de Oro Philippines ( from 2017)
keithg6nvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default healthcare insurance what compny to choose

hello all,
another health question,
I'm single and not married to a Pilippino. but I do have a Philippino girl friend, can anyone give me an indication as to the Best health insurance company to spend my cash with as I will want to cover us both I'm 64 and my girlfriend is 56 I think we are both in good health at the moment but who knows what is around the corner for us as I meant to say.... in your opinion what company has given good service for your cash or not... does the company cover dentist costs and give full health travel insurance cover cheers keithg6nvc
Old Sep 25th 2016, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: healthcare insurance what compny to choose

Hi Keith, others will come along with their advice but here's mine to be going on with.
You'll struggle to find affordable health insurance that will cover all medical costs here though some do give reasonable cover at a price. Due to my wifes medical history and my age (tho' I'm in good health) it is unaffordable for us. However, like most expats we are members of PhilHealth for 2400 or 3600pesos a YEAR which also covers your dependants.
https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/

It pays a lot of the hospital costs - depending on the class of hospital, and some outpatient costs such as dialysis and cancer care.For example, I recently had an MRI which I had to pay for, but if I'd been an in- patient, then PhilHealth would have paid.

See the website for full details.
your GF should join if she's not already a member.Once she hits 60 , then she is automatically enrolled in PhilHealth under a recent Senior Citizen bill passed into law and only needs her Senior Citizen card to get benefit. If you were married she could add you to her membership as a dependant at no extra cost.

They have a special membership for foreigners - individual paying members I think it's called. You do have to have either a residents visa - like SRRV - or an ACR card which you get after 6 months here on a tourist visa. (Well, unless they've changed the rules recently).
Travel insurance is available from various insurance companies - we used MAPFRE when we went to Hawaii and it cost $60 for my wife( even with all her medical problems declared!) and $120 for me, due to my age.

I suggest you put aside some money each month for medical costs and ensure you have a good line of credit on your credit card for emergencies.There are various schemes around saying they give cover but when you analyse them they actually don't give that good a cover. Being ill here costs money I'm afraid. Other members may hopefully be able to offer advice more pertinent to your situation.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Keith,
Here's the page for us foreigners - info right at the bottom of the page.
https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/member...al/member.html
Old Sep 25th 2016, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quiltman
Keith,
Here's the page for us foreigners - info right at the bottom of the page.
https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/member...al/member.html
Quiltmam
Many thanks
I will take your advise on board And save a little each month for healthcare I have a credit card so that can be used as first line of defence.....
Map free seem to punish you on your age ??? Not your health ..? I shall continue to search on for that one .... Travel insurance is going to be important to us when I arrive and take up my
SRRV Classic with Pension
Visa..... As we intend to travel SE Asia on a reular basis
Thank you for your time effort and reply to my question
Many many thanks
Cheers. Keithg6mvc
Old Sep 26th 2016, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Keith, most insurance companies increase travel insurance with age. I'm 73 and at the time MAPFRE standard premiums covered up to 70yrs and up to 80yrs with doubled premiums.
It was the same in UK. My wifes premiums were high due to her pre-existing conditions (which were excluded!) and although mine were comparatively low I noticed they jumped when I reached 60 , then again at 65. In UK many companies will not cover you at all once you reach about 70. you can always do a Google Research Project on travel insurance. Travelling SE Asia will keep the premiums down a bit , it's North America that really bumps them up. Last time we went was to Hawaii so I thought the MAPFRE price was VERY reasonable! Last time we went to USA from UK , I was 68 and my wife was 59. Her premium was over £400 and mine was, IIRC around £180!

Last edited by quiltman; Sep 26th 2016 at 1:40 am. Reason: Pressed send before checking what I had written - again!!
Old Sep 26th 2016, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Simon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are offered Maxicare at my work. I didn't take it up when I joined but will sign up once the renewals come up early next year.
I think it's a step up from Philhealth. In my experience Philhealth only pays a percentage of the hospital costs, so you're still looking at paying out for any trip to the hospital.
It might be worth asking in your local hospital, as in the case of Maxicare they have approved hospitals/clinics. Luckily my local hospital is on the list of approved providers, but different hospitals may have different insurance providers they work with and recommend.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Philhealth pay a proportion of your costs. As they cover the basic costs only. You pay for the add-ons. Private A/C room, medicine etc. They pay a maximum of P4000 per consultant. You pay the rest.
The MRI Scan is a strange one. Philheath paid a proportion, when I was an inpatient. I had another as an outpatient, and was given a Senior Citizens Discount, but the next outpatient visit requiring an MRI scan, I was not!
Medicines cost more in the hospital pharmacy than outside.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Simon1983
We are offered Maxicare at my work. I didn't take it up when I joined but will sign up once the renewals come up early next year.
I think it's a step up from Philhealth. In my experience Philhealth only pays a percentage of the hospital costs, so you're still looking at paying out for any trip to the hospital.
It might be worth asking in your local hospital, as in the case of Maxicare they have approved hospitals/clinics. Luckily my local hospital is on the list of approved providers, but different hospitals may have different insurance providers they work with and recommend.
Simon
thank you for your thoughts this is important to get right , I will look at Maxicare and see what is and isn't included in their fees and what hospitals I can use this company in Cagayan de Oro city.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
Yes Philhealth pay a proportion of your costs. As they cover the basic costs only. You pay for the add-ons. Private A/C room, medicine etc. They pay a maximum of P4000 per consultant. You pay the rest.
The MRI Scan is a strange one. Philheath paid a proportion, when I was an inpatient. I had another as an outpatient, and was given a Senior Citizens Discount, but the next outpatient visit requiring an MRI scan, I was not!
Medicines cost more in the hospital pharmacy than outside.
Tropicofcancer
thank you for your input. it seems as if you had reached your limit maybe??
good advise with the costs in hospital pharmacy that I will keep in mind
Old Sep 27th 2016, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon1983
Don't bother with the online quote system from Maxicare it does not give a quote. Do you have a contact postal address for them?
Old Sep 27th 2016, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Don't bother with the online quote system from Maxicare it does not give a quote. Do you have a contact postal address for them?
Good to know I will hunt there address and maybe a landline number if I can find one I will ask my GF To call them