First Timer

Old Apr 14th 2019, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Andrew_AJP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First Timer

Hi all
I`m not currently an ex pat just yet, but assuming I live to be able to collect a pension and follow our plan to move to the Philippines with my wife (Filipina and we have been together for nearly 10 yrs and married a couple), what can I do over here in the UK to prepare?

we are looking at buying a small (ish bit of land)and building on it (I'm aware of the restrictions on foreigners owning) but obviously any land will probably have to be paid full up front etc could the wife get a Philippines mortgage or anything like that from overseas? I expect to be in receipt of 3 small private pensions as well as full UK state plus my Wife will have her Nurses Pension from Philippines as well as a partial UK pension, also I would expect to be in receipt of house rental from the UK (but that is not as yet guaranteed). So I would sooner start the process sooner rather than later.

I was also wondering if I can open up a Philippines bank account now and start squirreling any overtime I get away rather than spending etc. This would have to be available in the provinces of Cebu, Carcar is the initial destination (wifes family)

Yours in hope

Andrew
Old Apr 14th 2019, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Timer

Suggest you open an account with BPI in London at earls court branch. You can then chat to them about mortgage services in the Philippines.Transferring funds to a BI account in the Philippines is easy as your on-line bank accounts are kinked. Serge is the branch manager and i am sure he will be of help. You can pay your pensions into the UK account, or set up a standing order from your other UK bank accounts into the London BPI account. DO NOT close your UK bank accounts as opening them again could be close on impossible if you are residing in the Philippines. Starting your UK account with a Uk drawn branch cheque may meet the reference requirements needed but serge will confirm the process for you.

https://www.philstar.com/the-freeman...-branches-cebu

Once your account is opened in Carcar you will get an ATM card which is used to get you linked to the UK account and transfer from Uk is instant.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

In addition, do not let your wife close her UK bank account(s) as trying to get her UK pensions paid into someone else's account results in miles of paperwork and online ops.As Mikemike says get a London BPI account before leaving, transfers to BPI Philippines quick, easy and normally a good exchange rate. Joint BPI account here was no problems for me/wife but that was 10 years ago.

Renew your UK driving license ( and any other photo ID ) before you leave. A friend struggled to get a Philippine driving license because he looked different on his license that was nearly 10 years old

Get a letter from the local police saying that you have been a good boy ( not sure what they call it nowadays )

I got a letter from my employer saying that I was a person of good character. Have used mine a couple of times, it seemed to help.

I bought some land, in my wife's name ( do not buy without getting original title before parting with the cash ), the local judge drew up a contract with wife as named owner married to me. This allowed me to build a house on the property ( as the house was built while still in the UK and all the funds came from my bank account ).

I did all my visa application/paperwork here ( or at least a fixer friend did ). I have heard that completing a lot of this process inn the UK is a lot easier. I am sure someone on this site will be able to enlighten you.

Ensure you have all your birth, marriage etc certificates in original and a couple of certified copies

Make sure all UK investments have required addresses ( I fell foul of one that required a UK residency - lots of paperwork, this includes ISAs )

If you have none UK investments get a 1904 TIN as soon as you arrive and inform them that you will pay all taxes in the Philippines ( 0% for overseas income )

Can't think of anything else at the moment, shall revert if I do.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all that looks like it's a trek to London BPI then lol, might try the postal route though do you think a Police officer would be able to certify my passport etc for opening an account via post? (Probably a question for them though) I know a couple of them lol but no accountants or solicitors, as for driving license yeah I probably will be keeping that though to be fair I don't plan on driving over there looked too much like a free for all and that's my job over here and I would probably end up wiping someone out I don't fancy appearing on banged up abroad lmao
Old Apr 15th 2019, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

***trek to London BPI**** I did mine on-line before I came to Phils.

Regards
Old Apr 15th 2019, 12:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The police clearance certificate is called the ARCO report.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew_AJP
Hi all
I`m not currently an ex pat just yet, but assuming I live to be able to collect a pension and follow our plan to move to the Philippines with my wife (Filipina and we have been together for nearly 10 yrs and married a couple), what can I do over here in the UK to prepare?

we are looking at buying a small (ish bit of land)and building on it (I'm aware of the restrictions on foreigners owning) but obviously any land will probably have to be paid full up front etc could the wife get a Philippines mortgage or anything like that from overseas? I expect to be in receipt of 3 small private pensions as well as full UK state plus my Wife will have her Nurses Pension from Philippines as well as a partial UK pension, also I would expect to be in receipt of house rental from the UK (but that is not as yet guaranteed). So I would sooner start the process sooner rather than later.

I was also wondering if I can open up a Philippines bank account now and start squirreling any overtime I get away rather than spending etc. This would have to be available in the provinces of Cebu, Carcar is the initial destination (wifes family)

Yours in hope

Andrew
Hi Andrew

Have you actually been to Philippines? I know it's an obvious question, but you'd be surprised how many guys up stakes and head over to here only to find that it just isn't their cup of tea. Whereabouts are you thinking of buying land?
Old Apr 15th 2019, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
***trek to London BPI**** I did mine on-line before I came to Phils.

Regards
Did mine on-line as well plus post some papers, I don't think they actually see anyone at their office.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by David Mashael
Hi Andrew

Have you actually been to Philippines? I know it's an obvious question, but you'd be surprised how many guys up stakes and head over to here only to find that it just isn't their cup of tea. Whereabouts are you thinking of buying land?

Lol it's a fair question yeah I have been initially as I say it's likely to be in Cebu,Carcar City most likely simply cos the wife has family there but I can't see anything happening for the next 10 to 15 years unless my numbers come up so it will be all about preparation
Old Apr 16th 2019, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Did mine on-line as well plus post some papers, I don't think they actually see anyone at their office.
I did mine on line as well. in addition I have visited their office to do an out of branch transfer to another financial institution. They are geared up for customer visits and over the counter transactions. If I wanted more than a clearing and fund transfer function I would visit, especially for information on mortgages etc.

to each their own
Old Apr 16th 2019, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Ah many thanks for all contributions anything else you can recommend that's able to be done over here? Not just the banking
Old Apr 16th 2019, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: First Timer

Originally Posted by Andrew_AJP
Lol it's a fair question yeah I have been initially as I say it's likely to be in Cebu,Carcar City most likely simply cos the wife has family there but I can't see anything happening for the next 10 to 15 years unless my numbers come up so it will be all about preparation
Understood, though some would argue that the wife having family there is actually a very good reason NOT to live there.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Lol that maybe but it probably won't be where we end up