Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Bureaucracy and RedTape in the Philippines

Bureaucracy and RedTape in the Philippines

Old Jun 27th 2022, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bureaucracy and RedTape in the Philippines

Thought I would start a new thread with this as it doesn't quite fit in with Humourous Episodes etc...

You would have thought redemption of bail in the Philippines would be a straightforward process bearing in mind the Supreme Court requirements are twofold:. Produce original bail receipt and Original Court Order authorising Redemption of Bail monies. I should have known better.

I live on Island A and the court is on Island B. Ok...I had to appear in court in person to obtain the two documents which was a bind. 12 hours journey there including ferry and buses and two overnight stops. 12 hours back to Island A.

Now I need to go to the court on Island C where I paid the bail money. 14 Hours there including flight and buses and two overnight stops.

On arrival and much to my chagrin, the Clerk stated I also needed a Certified True Copy of the Order. Go back to the Court on Island B. After much ire and fire....off I went back home empty handed.

Few days later I traveled yet again to Island B and obtained two copies of the CTC Order. Tnen back home.

Embarked on my second trip to Island C and the Clerk of the Court reviewed the documents and pointed me in the direction of the Cashier. I was beginning to feel 72k richer. But alas... cashier said no. "Sir, you need 5 copies of the CTC... not 2." Cue more ire and Fire.

So...I am back home again and no further forward. I have sent an email to the Court on Island B requesting them to liaise directly with the court on Island C requesting that they courier 3 copies of the CTC Order to them. But I think that won't be that straightforward. The court on Island C retained everything I gave them for processing as far as they could awaiting receipt of the outstanding 3 copies.

Once that has all been compiled, the court will send everything to the Supreme Court for approval and once approved I have to go in person again to Island C to collect the money. No bank transfer here then. Oh joy!

​​​​​

​​​​​​
Old Jun 27th 2022, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bureaucracy and RedTape in the Philippines

P11,
One has to ask how much is the bail money to be refunded? How much have you spent so far on travelling and lodging and how much more do you anticipate spending?
Old Jun 27th 2022, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
P11,
One has to ask how much is the bail money to be refunded? How much have you spent so far on travelling and lodging and how much more do you anticipate spending?
Think I have spent about 25k so far.

100% is refundable less processing fee.

I anticipate one more trip hopefully assuming I can get co-operation from the court.

But I understand your point.

Currently reading up on the RA dealing with Bureaucracy and Red Tape that has been recently amended.

Regards

​​​​​
​​​​

​​​​​

Last edited by Philosophical 11; Jun 27th 2022 at 7:48 am.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
Thought I would start a new thread with this as it doesn't quite fit in with Humourous Episodes etc...

You would have thought redemption of bail in the Philippines would be a straightforward process bearing in mind the Supreme Court requirements are twofold:. Produce original bail receipt and Original Court Order authorising Redemption of Bail monies. I should have known better.

I live on Island A and the court is on Island B. Ok...I had to appear in court in person to obtain the two documents which was a bind. 12 hours journey there including ferry and buses and two overnight stops. 12 hours back to Island A.

Now I need to go to the court on Island C where I paid the bail money. 14 Hours there including flight and buses and two overnight stops.

On arrival and much to my chagrin, the Clerk stated I also needed a Certified True Copy of the Order. Go back to the Court on Island B. After much ire and fire....off I went back home empty handed.

Few days later I traveled yet again to Island B and obtained two copies of the CTC Order. Tnen back home.

Embarked on my second trip to Island C and the Clerk of the Court reviewed the documents and pointed me in the direction of the Cashier. I was beginning to feel 72k richer. But alas... cashier said no. "Sir, you need 5 copies of the CTC... not 2." Cue more ire and Fire.

So...I am back home again and no further forward. I have sent an email to the Court on Island B requesting them to liaise directly with the court on Island C requesting that they courier 3 copies of the CTC Order to them. But I think that won't be that straightforward. The court on Island C retained everything I gave them for processing as far as they could awaiting receipt of the outstanding 3 copies.

Once that has all been compiled, the court will send everything to the Supreme Court for approval and once approved I have to go in person again to Island C to collect the money. No bank transfer here then. Oh joy!

​​​​​

​​​​​​
It is the same in all 3rd world countries, the sections of work given to each department is small so that it will get done but they will not liaise with other departments in the chain as that would make them look inefficient, lacking or lose face. So each section of the process is not linked to any other part of the process. I have worked in Africa and South America and the Philippines does excel in this modular chain system. So one dept giving you 2 copies for an action will never know that the other department says the action actually requires 5 copies.

Next time, if there is one, phone up the last window and ask what they need and then the penultimate window and so on. When you get to window 1 ask who is dealing with your case and tell them what you need and that you will courier the fee etc, plus a few Peso for some beer, to him. That process continues through each subsequent window.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

The BI Main Office is a prime example of what Stokkevn highlighted.
Old Jun 28th 2022, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Its ground floor alone up to about Windows 30 OS!

Will this new office be the same or hopefully have a more advanced OS?

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/06/19/...early-complete

Old Jul 14th 2022, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

You show up at the NBI UN Avenue for clearance to be told you wrongly answered the online question about your middle name. The correct answer was "None". Not the second name you have answered in such boxes for decades. That name goes along with your first name or Christian name in the first box.
Reasoning for this? Your passport has "Given names (2)", then surname.
Therefore as a Brit with 3 names in total,for the NBI you can have no middle name.
Of course for the local ladies they can put their father's family name there.

Result: You signed that all data was correct on your online. It's not. Therefore choice of going home or to a computer shop to submit and pay again.
Or use the services of people outside who will tap it all in standing up in the street in the hot sun.. You pay them a well earned P450, about 3 times the price, then go back in and get your clearance application in.

I would be interested to know if anyone here is aware of this interpretation of middle name anywhere else here.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

None is the usual response in my experience.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin
You show up at the NBI UN Avenue for clearance to be told you wrongly answered the online question about your middle name. The correct answer was "None". Not the second name you have answered in such boxes for decades. That name goes along with your first name or Christian name in the first box.
Therefore as a Brit with 3 names in total,for the NBI you can have no middle name.

Result: You signed that all data was correct on your online. It's not. Therefore choice of going home or to a computer shop to submit and pay again.
Or use the services of people outside who will tap it all in standing up in the street in the hot sun.. You pay them a well earned P450, about 3 times the price, then go back in and get your clearance application in.

I would be interested to know if anyone here is aware of this interpretation of middle name anywhere else here.
I always have the problem as I have 3 christian names then they want to add my mother's maiden name so that becomes a set of 4 names totaling 31 letters, they then always complain that they do not have enough space for them all, I tell them to take it to their manager and ask him what I should be called, comes back to miss out my mother's maiden name.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

None is the usual response in my experience.
Well the BI, the experts in dealing with foreigners here, have it right. They ask for your first given name. Then your middle name. I don't think they want you to write NONE there. They expect your second given name.
I think the NBI see our clearances as something they have to do but at the top they don't like it as we are charged the same as locals for a lot more work.

Probably 95% of Brits here have only 3 names and you have to apply online. Unless you are guided by someone who knows about this wrinkle you would get the same flashing screen that I got and told to reapply with a NONE in that box.
Yet you don't hear about this. I played a number of You tube videos made by Brits.. So you wonder whether I came up before a staff member who just didn't want to override the system? Happy to send you away,probably to people outside.They are linked to those behind the counter as when I went back in there was an email address along with the new reference code on my small piece of paper. A nice little earner. Before her my data was reviewed by someone who passed it on to the counter staff with the fingerprint scanners. For some reason you write it all out on a card.... all the data you already entered online. Either he missed it or didn't know.Or he knows the result and is part of it.
Old Jul 15th 2022, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

What I really find amusing about the NBI clearance process is that on your first visit you have two fingerprinting activities, manual and scan. I suspect that the manual process on the third floor is the pension programme for the two
elderly gentlemen !
Old Jul 15th 2022, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin

Sorry if i have missed it , but why go the NBI?
Old Jul 15th 2022, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

If you apply for a 13a visa you have to obtain NBI Clearance.
Old Jul 16th 2022, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply for a 13a visa you have to obtain NBI Clearance.
Mine was all done in intramuros they had an NBI desk at that time did finger prints etc
Old Jul 16th 2022, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

That must have been sometime ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.