Bill Maynard

Old Apr 22nd 2018, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bill Maynard

Passed away 3 weeks ago. Was better known for a long running role in "Heartbeat", but back in the late 1970s the comedian and actor starred in three series of the Yorkshire TV sitcom "Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggitt". For those who are interested and able a good quality torrent for this has recently become available.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bill Maynard

Originally Posted by Raffin
Passed away 3 weeks ago. Was better known for a long running role in "Heartbeat", but back in the late 1970s the comedian and actor starred in three series of the Yorkshire TV sitcom "Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggitt". For those who are interested and able a good quality torrent for this has recently become available.
Thanks for that, having spent all but a couple of years since 1976 living overseas I am always looking for good UK TV that I have missed. Have just downloaded Still Game about a couple of pensioners up to mischief in Glasgow, been going since 2002.

Any more suggestions always welcome.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Some episodes of "Oh No..." also available on You Tube, as also is the case with "Selwyn" a follow on Yorkshire TV attempt with a different supporting cast, which only lasted one series. Didn't have the strong support of "Oh No..." eg Megs Jenkins, Lynda Baron.

Staying with Northern TV sitcoms, I think "Bread", from the late 80s, was quite good. Used to be torrented, though seemingly no more, but some episodes are on You Tube.

Even though not totally a sitcom my absolute favourite continues to be the late 70s BBC series "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin", starring Leonard Rossiter. On my third run through. Still showing as a torrent, but not active. He was also good in the earlier "Rising Damp". Episodes of both of these are available on You Tube.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

ChrisKVie is an unknown quantity at this point

They dont seem to make good 'risky' ones anymore its all alternative stuff now; A few I remember;

Mind your Language
Love thy Neighbour
Porridge
Only Fools and Horses (my favourite)
Dick Emery

The list goes on
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisKVie
They dont seem to make good 'risky' ones anymore its all alternative stuff now; A few I remember;

Mind your Language
Love thy Neighbour
Porridge
Only Fools and Horses (my favourite)
Dick Emery

The list goes on
Don't forget "Please Sir"
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

The days of great prime time British TV comedy really were in the last century from the 60s onwards. Reprises of Open All Hours and Porridge have been tried lately to little effect. Think the last really good effort was The League of Gentlemen?

Excellent suggestions so far. May I just toss in Hancock's Half Hour from the 60s, with Sid James? Some Mothers...with Michael Crawford? And of course the too few episodes of Fawlty Towers. My son recently had a bad time with his car continually breaking down on the road. Sent him the clip of John Cleese thrashing his not starting motor with a tree branch to try to lighten his mood!

One which I think didn't get enough recognition was Keeping up Appearances with Patricia Routledge. Very rich, with the contrasting household of her sister and lay about husband Onslow, played by Geoffrey Hughes (sadly,lately deceased too), and with the understandably nervous next door neighbour and her brother.

Even ITV's long running Minder series with George Cole, which had a fair amount of criminal activity and fisticuffs in the story lines, was very funny. Don't think that sort of combination is around now
Old Apr 24th 2018, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

yes minister and yes prime minister, the the good life, the likely lads
Old Apr 25th 2018, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

As per mikemike....plus:

Men Behaving Badly, Blackadder, Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Fawlty Towers, Fools and Horses....plus many more given the chance to think!

Regards
Old Apr 26th 2018, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Brush Strokes, 5 series, late 80s with Karl Howman didn't, to my mind, get the recognition it deserved. Set in a painting company, though not much actual painting to be seen.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 10:11 am
LPR
Forum Regular

LPR is on a distinguished road

Don't forget Butterflies!