Best UK TV

Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best UK TV

I think many of those on this site have spent most, if not all of their adult life overseas ( as I have ) and as such have missed a lot of the good UK TV, obvious ones being Only Fools and Horses, Black Adder and Fawlty Towers.

What else have I/we missed. Evenings watching Wow Wow Wee are not the same really. Links would be great. Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2015, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best UK TV

Yes, Stokkevn, as an expat one can't spend long watching local TV comedy here.Their best TV output involves singing and dancing and there is also some good news coverage around - but stuff like Goin' Bullilit shown in prime time ??
I just spent a few years abroad but there were so many reasons why one might have missed TV when in the UK. Now, with the capability of downloading for free even stuff from the '50s and '60s I'm really enjoying working my way through many British TV comedies and other series. Just on the comedy, in addition to the three you mention I would add anything with Ronnie Barker - notably Porridge and Open All Hours. I also highly rate Leonard Rossiter in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and Rising Damp. Also George and Mildred with Yootha Joyce. Reg Varney and all the other regular cast members in On the Buses are excellent. Then there's Keeping up Appearances with Patricia Routledge.Another good supporting cast.
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em with Michal Crawford not so much, but it is highly rated by many. Liked very much here by our 6 year old apo! One up from Mr Bean!
Last of the Summer Wine, with its huge number of episodes, could entertain for years. Got a bit bored with it when in the UK but now appreciating it more. Especially the earlier episodes. Not to everyone's taste watching and listening to three retirees wandering around a South Yorkshire town but an example of how innovative British comedy is.
Haven't found so much to laugh about with recent TV comedy efforts - except League of Gentlemen. Can watch that over and over.
Not to forget some American comedy that was aired on the BBC. An early example was Bilko and then MASH with Alan Alda in the late '70s - much more than a comedy and quite brilliant in my opinion.
I just got all the above through the Torrentz site. It gets a bit difficult with some '50s and '60s series. Presently have two Sid James' series from back then stuck on 90pc.