Best Authors

Old Dec 14th 2021, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of
Post Best Authors

I only read an occasional car mechanics book or electronics magazine in my younger days but employed by a company that had me sat in airports for hours on end I began to read paperbacks.
Here in the Philippines there is a shop in SM and Robinsons called "Book Sale", it has shelves of secondhand books and I have a list of the authors that write good stories.
John Grisham, Ken Follett, Lee Child, Colin Dexter, Ian Rankin, Jonathan Kellerman, Michael Connelly, Frederick Forsythe, James Paterson, Robert Ludlum, Tony Black, Dick Francis, Clive Cussler, Alan Tichmarsh, Jeffrey Archer, Stephen King, Wilbur smith, Tom Clancy, Ruth Rendell, Jack Higgins, Sarah Hilary, Geoffrey Jenkins.
The shop has hardbacks of the "Condensed" book types or 'Readers Digest" which are 4 stories at about 80 pesos a copy......bargain!
These people write great stories including the Gardening chap Alan Tichmarsh who brought tears to my eyes at the final page!
Old Dec 14th 2021, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Authors

Yes, for some years I used to get mostly detective paperbacks from them,
But I have now ended up with piles of read ones in a cupboard and no one else I know wants them. I asked if they would take them/buy them back. The answer was no.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of
Post Re: Best Authors

Hi Raffin, yes most of mine are detective series. Ian Rankin writes stories round a Detective in Edinburgh that is very down to earth. Enjoyed Ruth Rendell stories round the UK street crime much like the "Who done it" type. Colin Dexter writes stories round the "Detective inspector Reagan" world in Oxford which I enjoyed reading and my last one was the last in the series where he passed away.......but solved the crime. Despite the horse Racing world, Dick Francis writes a fast moving easy read, detective type story round the Newmarket and Cambridge areas of the UK.
You are right about moving the books, not many expats read books, I tried to form a group of friends and turned my Avanza into a mobile library but only 3 guys were interested. One of the group is a chap from the US who spent his time working on road building gangs and is a keen reader, surprised me by having all the hardbound editions of Tom Clancy!
I give my books away, schools are pleased to accept them. I suggested that reading the books would help students improve their communication skills.......shortened abbreviated words that we use continually when talking.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, those authors are also in my pile from Book Sale. Along with one or two P D James, Robert Goddard.
On Colin Dexter interesting to compare with the TV series, which were really good, But with P D James watched a couple of TV productions and didn't think they worked at all.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Old books

you may wish to consider donating some books to the BI holding pen holding . When I do my annual visit to the BI in january I will hand deliver my request to deliver some more
Old Dec 15th 2021, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Donating to your local schools gives you people contact which I enjoy doing.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute

I switched to Kindle about 8 years ago. It was a tough decision as I love the feel of a book and enjoyed browsing through 2nd hand bookshops in UK etc. I now see it as one of the best decisions I ever made, especially for travelling and/ or living in countries where second hand book shops are not readily available.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. Kindle a really good alternative.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Agree. Kindle a really good alternative.
Yes I'm an avid reader and my kindle is my constant companion. The good thing about kindle is that you can load the app onto your phone and access you library.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

EnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond repute

If you like detective stories, you may want to look out for Val McDermid and for a bit of 'Scandi Noir' Jo Nesbo and Henning Mankell.

Non detective stories try John Irving and Kazuo Ishiguro, the latter can sometimes be a bit hard going but worth persevering with.

If there are any books you particularly want and you are prepared to pay full price, try Fully Booked, an on line book shop. It can be a bit expensive but I sometimes think it's worth it.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Much obliged for new authors.
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin
Yes, for some years I used to get mostly detective paperbacks from them,
But I have now ended up with piles of read ones in a cupboard and no one else I know wants them. I asked if they would take them/buy them back. The answer was no.
If you want to get rid of books you have read just do what a friend did ( and I shall do soon ) and take a few at a time back to the shop or a different one and just put them on the shelf without them seeing.
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
If you want to get rid of books you have read just do what a friend did ( and I shall do soon ) and take a few at a time back to the shop or a different one and just put them on the shelf without them seeing.
Good idea! Except I've got a lot and the nearest Book Sale is far away.

Turning their shops into Charity shops! Which made me think...I've never seen any here. Maybe they are online? Might be due to lack of tax exemptions? You can donate in the basura but those items won't go to the poor.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin
Good idea! Except I've got a lot and the nearest Book Sale is far away.

Turning their shops into Charity shops! Which made me think...I've never seen any here. Maybe they are online? Might be due to lack of tax exemptions? You can donate in the basura but those items won't go to the poor.
Just spotted this, no idea if it is any good

https://nolisoli.ph/101563/book-dona..._medium=direct
Old Mar 8th 2022, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Just read a book and been surprised at the content wowowee... ok so the story is from the 1990 times but crikey its frightening.

Bought from BookSale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.