Bereavement Benefits

Old Oct 10th 2023, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bereavement Benefits

Greetings!

If an expat pre-deceases his partner, can she claim for UK Bereavement Benefits as a Filipina here in the Philippines? Thanks.

Incidentally I intend to live forever ....so far so good!

​​​​
Old Oct 10th 2023, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bereavement Benefits

You need to look here to see if you qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment/eligibility
Old Oct 10th 2023, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Well it depends on what status you and your partner have and have you notified DWP?
In my case my wife will receive Bereavement Benefits amounting to a lump some and a monthly payment for 18 months. This may well change at sometime in the future.
Old Oct 10th 2023, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

"If you’re already getting a bereavement benefit when you move abroad, you’ll still get it - it does not matter where you move to.

You may be able to make a new claim if you live in certain countries outside the UK."

The Philippines is covered by the reciprocal agreement but does it imply that you can claim abroad as a British citizen who has moved to the Philippines. My wife would be covered by this but only until she received her UK state pension.

Last edited by Gazza-d; Oct 10th 2023 at 11:06 am.
Old Oct 11th 2023, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
You need to look here to see if you qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment/eligibility
Thanks for that. Yes I have already checked that and amongst the eligibility criteria, it states:

Must be pregnant or:
Receiving Child Benefit or:
Eligible for Child Benefit

So unless I am reading that incorrectly, she would not be eligible. Although I fail to see what that additional criteria has anything to do with Bereavement Benefits.

Regards

Old Oct 11th 2023, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Well it depends on what status you and your partner have and have you notified DWP?
In my case my wife will receive Bereavement Benefits amounting to a lump some and a monthly payment for 18 months. This may well change at sometime in the future.

Thanks for that!

The last time I contacted DWP on this subject about 5 years ago, the reply I received just told me what the benefits were and that the Philippines was part of the reciprocal agreement.

Furthermore, nothing was stated about eligibility etc except that approval would depend on eligibility. Certainly they didn't seem to want to know who my N of K was at that time.

Perhaps the process has changed since then.

Regards