baguio business ideas??

Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

deanios46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default baguio business ideas??

hi all... dose anybody with experience of living in the philippines for sometime know of any business me and my girlfriend could start in baguio city?? any reply would be appreciated thanks..i have 1.4k to take with me btw
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baguio business ideas??

Originally Posted by deanios46
hi all... dose anybody with experience of living in the philippines for sometime know of any business me and my girlfriend could start in baguio city?? any reply would be appreciated thanks..i have 1.4k to take with me btw
Could you please expand a little. Is this a business for your girlfriend to run in your absence or will you be there to watch it 24/7. When I vacation in the Philippines 1.4K is about what I spend in 3 weeks. You are not going to get much of a business for that. Maybe you could start a small sari sari store. I'd just give the money to your gf to spend in a couple of weeks and put it down to experience. It would be a lot less hastle and far more rewarding.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Could you please expand a little. Is this a business for your girlfriend to run in your absence or will you be there to watch it 24/7. When I vacation in the Philippines 1.4K is about what I spend in 3 weeks. You are not going to get much of a business for that. Maybe you could start a small sari sari store. I'd just give the money to your gf to spend in a couple of weeks and put it down to experience. It would be a lot less hastle and far more rewarding.
thanks for the pathetic response..did that make you feel big?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:55 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

You are not going to make any friends with that attitude.

Gazza asked you to expand a little and pointed out that 1.4K is not a lot of money to start a business with.

I am not sure what answers you want to hear based on so little information and money. Try not to get upset if you get the answers you don't want to hear, ie reality check.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Catchafire
You are not going to make any friends with that attitude.

Gazza asked you to expand a little and pointed out that 1.4K is not a lot of money to start a business with.

I am not sure what answers you want to hear based on so little information and money. Try not to get upset if you get the answers you don't want to hear, ie reality check.
ok sorry..well i just really wanna start somekind of business in the philippines,but ive always loved baguio...ive 20k to take GBP..do you think i could start a coffie shop or a gym on that kind of money? thanks..yes i wanna live there
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:11 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Before you do anything I would recommend having a read of this article.

http://lifebeyondthesea.com/ask-henr...e-philippines/

Because you are not married, you are going to put this money in your girls hands.

As for business ideas, I can think of a few, but none are in the "retail" industry.

So for example your coffee shop, I would not entertain the thought of ever having one, have to deal with staff, constant stock checks (to keep a lid on thieving), local competition, for what maybe a small return,

I would however consider getting my own roaster and either importing decent coffee beans and/or using good quality domestic beans and building a brand.

Its something I can control, I do not need to employ very many people and I can build a decent client base.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Before you do anything I would recommend having a read of this article.

http://lifebeyondthesea.com/ask-henr...e-philippines/

Because you are not married, you are going to put this money in your girls hands.

As for business ideas, I can think of a few, but none are in the "retail" industry.

So for example your coffee shop, I would not entertain the thought of ever having one, have to deal with staff, constant stock checks (to keep a lid on thieving), local competition, for what maybe a small return,

I would however consider getting my own roaster and either importing decent coffee beans and/or using good quality domestic beans and building a brand.

Its something I can control, I do not need to employ very many people and I can build a decent client base.
thanks Catchafire ive had a good read of that and its looks as if one needs to be as sharp as a razor to do pretty much any kind of business in the philippines!! its a shame they think that we are all rolling in money!! i really wanna get out of the u.k but,i dont wanna stressed out not know who to do business with or who to trust!! and theres my girlfriend who dont have a clue how stressful all this stuff is! i feel like slapping her sometimes
Old Nov 19th 2013, 5:21 pm

and theres my girlfriend who dont have a clue how stressful all this stuff is! i feel like slapping her sometimes
Nice.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Catchafire ive had a good read of that and its looks as if one needs to be as sharp as a razor to do pretty much any kind of business in the philippines!! its a shame they think that we are all rolling in money!! i really wanna get out of the u.k but,i dont wanna stressed out not know who to do business with or who to trust!! and theres my girlfriend who dont have a clue how stressful all this stuff is! i feel like slapping her sometimes
That's why 90%+ of expats in the Philippines go there to retire. The biggest problem with trying to do business in the Philippines is not who to trust or not it's all to do with culture. The family helping themselves to the stock in a Sari Sari store is not considered dishonest in their eyes or assuming you have an endless supply of money, it's just a difference in culture.

To run a business in the Philippines it is literally a 24/7 365 day job and will need constant micro managing. One problem that often comes up is that everyone in the Philippines thinks they can run a business. You can set the family up in something that seems a no brainer and just watch it go to rat sh#t in front of them. It's a bit like a dog catching a car and not knowing what to do with it once it's caught it. Everyone loves the idea of owning a business but don't realise you then have to work to make a go of it. There are many expats running business, usually in there wife name, who are successful but they usually have to work their butts off. The other problem is that the Philippines does not want foreigners running businesses there and make it nearly impossible for foreigners to do so.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

That's why 90%+ of expats in the Philippines go there to retire. The biggest problem with trying to do business in the Philippines is not who to trust or not it's all to do with culture. The family helping themselves to the stock in a Sari Sari store is not considered dishonest in their eyes or assuming you have an endless supply of money, it's just a difference in culture.

To run a business in the Philippines it is literally a 24/7 365 day job and will need constant micro managing. One problem that often comes up is that everyone in the Philippines thinks they can run a business. You can set the family up in something that seems a no brainer and just watch it go to rat sh#t in front of them. It's a bit like a dog catching a car and not knowing what to do with it once it's caught it. Everyone loves the idea of owning a business but don't realise you then have to work to make a go of it. There are many expats running business, usually in there wife name, who are successful but they usually have to work their butts off. The other problem is that the Philippines does not want foreigners running businesses there and make it nearly impossible for foreigners to do so.
yah its just a dream i think! maybe i should just forget the idea completely
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

yah its just a dream i think! maybe i should just forget the idea completely
Don't give up completely. You need to be there, and for some time before embarking on something. You can't do it remotely from the UK. You need to be in the Philippines and find a niche and ease yourself into it gently.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Don't give up completely. You need to be there, and for some time before embarking on something. You can't do it remotely from the UK. You need to be in the Philippines and find a niche and ease yourself into it gently.
well i spent about 18months there in all,i was living near naga city in a small town called daet..there wernt much there though! so i went up to baguio and was like paradise for me as i couldnt handle the heat! my girlfriend is from a poor back ground,i do trust her tho..it wouldnt be a problem for me to marry her and give 60% of the business to her,shes not the sharpest tool in the box though when it comes to business!...and it would be her family that would worry me though,as their always asking her for money,and she always gives it!! and never gets paid back as none of her family have jobs,shes the only hard working one lol! all it takes is for someone in the family to get sick and thats it,she would give it all away...which i understand,but with all my money?? i wouldnt be to happy about that...have you ever had any problems with family hospital bills? or have you ever had to spend an unexpected amount of money on your wifes family?
Old Nov 24th 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

well i spent about 18months there in all,i was living near naga city in a small town called daet..there wernt much there though! so i went up to baguio and was like paradise for me as i couldnt handle the heat! my girlfriend is from a poor back ground,i do trust her tho..it wouldnt be a problem for me to marry her and give 60% of the business to her,shes not the sharpest tool in the box though when it comes to business!...and it would be her family that would worry me though,as their always asking her for money,and she always gives it!! and never gets paid back as none of her family have jobs,shes the only hard working one lol! all it takes is for someone in the family to get sick and thats it,she would give it all away...which i understand,but with all my money?? i wouldnt be to happy about that...have you ever had any problems with family hospital bills? or have you ever had to spend an unexpected amount of money on your wifes family?
Yes we have and we are still waiting for it back.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we have and we are still waiting for it back.
could you expand on that pls
Old Nov 25th 2013, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

could you expand on that pls
We paid several hundred thousand peso hospital bills for an aunt who then died. We did get some land promised but it wouldn't cover the bill and we didn't really want the land anyway. I was all promises for a while then they go quiet and gradually slip below the radar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.